Demystifying the Magic Ring

Save this post »

It may sound mystical, but the crochet magic ring is really so easy. The magic ring is an alternative way to begin crocheting in the round.

Oftentimes when crocheting in the round, you are instructed to chain 2-4 stitches, create a loop, and then work you first round in that loop. This loop however, cannot be closed once the first round has been work and can leave a hole in the center of your round. By using the magic ring, you can work as many or as few stitches in your beginning round.

Today, I will show you how to start your next round crochet project with the magic ring.

You will need yarn and a hook to match your yarn’s weight for this tutorial.

Hand Looped with Blue Crochet Yarn

Step 1:

Loop yarn around your fingers with working yarn on right and tail on left.

Hand Holding Looped Crochet Yarn, Hook Prepared

Step 2:

Insert hook through ring and pull up a loop from the working yarn.

Hook Through Looped Crochet Stitch

Step 3:

Chain one stitch.

Hand Holding Crochet Hook and Stitched Yarn
Crochet Hook with Stitched Yarn, Beginning of Magic Ring

Step 4:

Work your single crochet in the ring around the ring and tail yarn. Single crochet the desired number of stitches.

Crochet Hook with Looped, Stitch Ring

Step 5:

Pull tail yarn to cinch ring closed.

Close Up of Stitched Ring on Crochet Hook

Step 6:

Slip stitch into the first stitch to join round.

Note: When using this technique, if you are unable to make the ring close completely, beware that not all yarn will compress that densely. Also, if you are using a large number of stitches in the first round, that might leave the small hole.

This is an excellent technique to add to your crochet toolbox, especially if you’re interested in crocheting amigurumi. This will let you start any round crochet project. Why not practice this technique with the oh-so cute Large Huggable Bear and Koala Pattern?

Save this post »

Free Online Crochet Class

crochet textures

"I loved this class. Everything is explained with clear photography and vocals; Drew is very easy to listen to which helps a lot, too. This is my first online class and I am sure it will not be my last." Enroll FREE Now »

Kay

I began my wool knit circular afghan with a crochet magic circle by picking up the larger outer loops
with 4 double pointed needles. It set up the circular start for the afghan perfectly.

Jessica-Jean

I use it as often for a knit project as a crocheted! It beats fiddling around with four stitches and four double-pointed needles.

Debbi Ortiz

I would love o see a picture of your work using 4 double sided crochet needles..It sounds very difficult, I am a newbie. I haven’t made anything yet.I will try something very soon I received a very large mount of yarn from a neighbor whose elderly mom passed away and he didn’t want to throw it in garbage.

Cara Louise

One thought that is often omitted in articles about the magic ring is this: When your project is done, PLEASE be sure to weave your starting tail in SECURELY especially if your item is supposed to be washable! Magic rings do have a tendency to come apart in the washing process if not secured properly. I often make a small knot on the back of my work with the beginning tail, and then weave it a couple directions through the backs of nearby stitches before trimming. This eliminates the chance for a granny square afghan for instance to ‘explode’.

Debbie

I found this out the hard way! I had just finished my grandson’s puzzle afghan, thought I would toss it in the wash before I gave it to him….and when I took it out, dozens of those nasty little magic rings had come UNDONE and I now had holes all over this awesome little afghan. I will never take a chance and use the magic ring ever again!!! (And I thought I had secured the center end quite well, like I always do….) :(

cheryl

Me too Debbie, made a blanket with 144 squares, now have been told after only one month they are coming undone aghhh now will have to make client a new one

sandra vanderkroft

help i am left handed and having trouble strating off can you help me please

Paulette White

Thank you so much for your easily understood explanation of the magic circle. It was the best I have found. Succeeded with the very first try!

Jeri Kurtz

Add my two cents worth to Cara Louise’s comment above. This has happened to me – my centers have gotten loose. I have now gotten into the habit of actually trying to pull it out to make sure the ring is not going to do so later.

Jeri Kurtz

Jeri Kurtz

Jeri Kurtz

Linda

I have tried to no avail, sat thru way too many tutorials but i just can’t get it, I feel like such an idiot.

Mary

Linda, it took me a while to get the magic circle, but once I did, it’s the bomb diggity! I use it all the time now. Keep trying.

Suzanna

Extraordinarily educative thanks, I believe your trusty readers could possibly want even more information like this carry on the great effort.

Annetta

I cannot figure out how you got from step 1 to step 2 of the magic ring. I have been crocheting for about 40 years and just now heard about this magic ring. I do not hold my yarn all wrapped around my fingers, and your photo has me bumfuzzled. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I cannot tell what yarn is tail and what is working, plus the hook hides a key piece of info. Thank you.

Sarah

if you want to make this 10thousandx more understandable, place the pictures below the steps, not above :) yep.

pokerautomatics.ga

Everything is very open with a really clear description of the
challenges. It was definitely informative. Your site
is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing!