Sew Scarves for Brave Women During Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

Posted by on Sep 10, 2013 in Crocheting, Embroidery, Knitting, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness month, and Craftsy Cares is partnering with the Be the Difference Foundation and their “Love My Scarf” project in support of those battling this disease. Their mission is to help women increase their chance of survival of ovarian cancer by raising money to fund programs for better treatment options, effective early screening, symptomatic and genetic predisposition awareness and a cure.

Pink Headscarf on Mannequin Head
The “Love My Scarf” project supports the bravery of these women, and provides them with beautiful head-coverings to wear during their battle with cancer. Help the “Love My Scarf” project reach their goal of collecting 10,000 scarves this month by creating a scarf to be provided to women in cancer centers. Your scarf donation can be knitted, embroidered, embellished, crocheted or any other medium you prefer!

Click here to download the “Love my Scarf” Momma’s Embroidered Do-Rag pattern. Donations will be collected at the address below:

Be the Difference Foundation
2517 Manana Rd.
Dallas, TX 75220

Comments

1. Aloma Cronberg says:

As a nurse I have taken care of lots of cancer patients! Women are devastated by the loss of their crowning glory during Chemo! Their hair is important to them and walking around with a bald head and no eyebrows screams ” Look at me, I have cancer!” It doesn’t make any difference what kind of cancer it is: the results are the same!! We used to provide Head coverings for our patients to help them deal with this terrible disease!!

2. Theresa Jackson says:

How brilliant! What a great idea. Made myself a number of these (my own version really) during my chemo last year, also for ovarian cancer. Worked really well. Recycled t-shirts and even warm beanie hats out of an old sweater. Glammed them up with brooches and jewelled hair ornaments. Much easier than tying scarves! Also soft and comfortable. Passed them on to someone else when I didn’t need them any more.
    Being in the UK would be impractical for me to get involved in this campaign but do wish you well in your efforts and hope you get loads of scarves.
    By the way the crowning glory is back and really wasn’t gone for very long at all.

3. IRIS FLYNN says:

What is the deadline to mail the scarf? I’ve been making some since I found out I had to take chemo again. I took it in 2004 and now am taking it again. Since I feel better this time around, I’ve been sewing scarfs and giving them to our local cancer center and to some ladies that I met recently that are also taking chemo.

1. Please mail your scarves anytime. We will be collecting them through the end of the year. Good luck with your treatment. I am glad to hear you are feeling better this time around. Helen Gardner, survivor, co-founder, Be the Difference Foundation

4. My mom suffered with ovarian cancer & then it finally took her after she refused to have any further chemo-she was too weak to go through all the nausea & endless vomiting it caused. I took care of her for about the last 7-8 mos of her life. This is a terrible disease! Make a “chemo cap” for a special woman tonight!(I’m going to crochet 1 or maybe 2!)

1. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and being the difference with us.

5. Zahra says:

I love this idea!!!

6. pat reed says:

Found out about this today will send some tomorrow. What a great idea, and privledged to help a little as i can Thank you pat

7. Thank you for supporting these courageous women in their journey and being the difference with us!