What Are Barn Quilts?

We quilters sure love our quilts. So much that we like to show off our quilting wherever we can! They look so beautiful laying on the couch, tossed over the back of a chair, or spread across a bed. Some even like to decorate the outside of their homes with them. I’m not talking about quilts hanging on porch rocking chairs, I am talking about barn quilts!

Barn in Trees with Red Barn Quilt

Photo via Old Red Barn Co.

A barn quilt is a large piece of wood that is painted to look like a quilt block.

Even though the name implies that an entire quilt is painted onto the wood, it generally is only a single quilt block. The size of the squares vary, but usually, they measure 8 feet. After they are painted, these blocks are hung on the exterior of a barn, house, garage or other building.

The majority of barn quilts are comprised of simple geometric shapes, like squares, rectangles and triangles. This makes them easier to create. They usually are painted in solid colors, though every now and then, you’ll come across one that has been painted to look like printed fabric. The simplicity in shape and the vibrancy of solid colors make these blocks easily seen from afar. If they are too complicated, the details can be lost.

The earliest versions of barn quilts have been around for hundreds of years.

Just as fabric quilts have their own unique history, so do barn quilts. While barns were not painted back in the day, they were decorated with different types of folk art. This included quilt blocks once paint was readily available and affordable. People chose certain blocks to reflect particular meanings.

In the early 2000s, barn quilts start showing up again, and these are the ones we are used to seeing today. This is also when the first quilt trail began, originating in Ohio.

A quilt trail consists of many barn quilts that are mapped together and visited. Those following along the trail receive a map with all of the locations marked, and viewers drive through the countryside to see all of the blocks. Today there are quilt trails all over the United States. A wide variety of people have created them, including quilt guilds, schools, churches, and 4-H clubs.

Yellow Country House with Barn Quilt by Door

Photo via Maureen Cracknell Handmade

Are you interested in creating your own barn quilt?

This is a very doable and fun project to tackle! While it may appear intimidating, it is achievable with careful drafting, taping and painting.

Check out these two free tutorials online:

If you would like a barn quilt or two but would prefer to purchase one, that’s okay too! Ask around locally, or do a quick search online. Be sure to include your state or county when searching so that you can locate someone close to home.

Joan in NE

I have a Lone Star “barn quilt” on my front porch. It is the only one in my immediate area, but I hope they will catch on eventually. There are a few in the rural area. Anyway it does draw a lot of interest when someone walks past and sees it.

Deonn @ Quiltscapes

Oh, I do love a barn quilt!! And even though I had never seen one in person, I entered a Barn Quilt Design contest at AccuQuilt in 2011, and won 2nd place with my design, A Soldier’s Star! These big blocks translate well into a quilt. I hang it on my front porch or on a wall for patriotic holidays. I think I should start a trend around these parts, and paint it on my garage door… You can see the quilt on my Craftsy pattern page: http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/a-soldiers-star/11612

Cynthia Olson

I had a lot of fun 2 years ago traveling around Ohio looking at the Quilt Barns. With luck, I will be able to do more this year. It was an exciting and relaxing journey through history. My family has an old workshop on our property and I painted “Card Tricks” to be displayed on the side of it. I would also like to paint a “Rose of Sharon” wreath to be displayed alongside it.

Cheryl

Shawano county in Wisconsin has a couple of hundred barn quilts. They have a website that shows all the quilts and where they are located in the county. It is an awesome site to see.

Dana

What a pleasure to visit the craftsy blog and see my very own barn quilt in a post! I love driving through rural America and spying these beauties on barns!

Mary F Johnson

Many of us in Maple Valley Quilters, Trufant, Michigan, have either painted our own barn quilt or commissioned them for our houses, barns and sheds. It’s been another way to share our love of quilting.

Robbin Neff

Ilive making barn quilts for the urban environment. A bit smaller boards and on fliir cloths. I highly recommend giving it a try yourself.

Donna

I live in Powder Springs, Ga. We have a very special Quilt Trail here that is a special project of The Country Store here in the old part of town and each quilt is specific to the old building or the type of shop it holds. I get to enjoy it frequently as I go through town.

Ruth Firestien

I just recently had a barn quilt painted for my barn. Everybody that sees it loves it. It is in memory of my husband who loved the Flying Geese pattern.

Linda Welch

We saw a few of the Barn Quilts when driving in the States a couple of years age. When we came home we found out the Ontario Canada also has some Quilt Trails. We have been on three different ones this year. Even bought a small 2×2 to hang on my fence.

Suzi Parron

Hi there,

I am so glad to see that you–like so many quilters–are enjoying the many quilt trails around the country! But the original post is very wrong about one thing–barn quilts were NEVER painted on barns “once paint was readily available.” I spent three years traveling the country documenting barn quilts for my book, published by Ohio University last year. If there had been a quilt pattern painted on a barn that dated back hundreds of years–or even decades–I would have found it by now. Perhaps you are thinking of hex signs? They are geometric shapes, but they are not quilt patterns, as they were not replicas of patterns meant to be sewn.

PLEASE give credit where due! Donna Sue Groves came up with the concept of barn quilts, and the first was painted in 2001. My research into the subject has been very thorough,. You can find out more on my website banquiltinfo.com.

No, I am not trying to promote myself or my book here. I just want those who enjoy barn quilts to appreciate their origins and not to be misled.

Thanks!

Judy Ireton

Thank you for giving Donna Sue credit for the Quilt Barns. Adams County is a better place for Donna Sue, her idea and the many quilt barns. I too do not remember ever seeing a barn with a quilt on it ever before in this country or any other. Her idea has been given credit for the thousands of quilt barns across the country for some time.

Marilyn Anderson

Want a sweet surprise, to come across your blog, about Barn Quilts.
I have a website that I, sell my Barn Quilts from. I design the pattern and have them printed on outdoor vinyl, with fade resistant ink. They look like fabric quilts. http://www.americanbarnquilts.
I have one in ArtPize right now, too.
I do some blogging about Barn Quilts, also.
Today I’m sitting here looking for other blogs that I might get inspired by…
and this truly is one.
Thank you for your lovely work.. I’ll be back.

Debbie

I am interested in having a barn quilt made for my mom for her birthday to put on their mini barn. Does anyone know who makes them in the Dodge-Douglas-Washington county area or surrounding counties? Thanks.

Paulette Bunn

I have seen numerous barn quilts in Tenn and am excited to find more about them. I enjoy looking at them but thougt they were part of a local guild now anxious to look for more.

Paulette Bunn

Paulette Bunn

Paulette Bunn

Paulette Bunn

Richard

Here in Stow Ohio no one seems to know what a barn quit is.I have made about 20 so far and have them on my fence,garage.and small barn.

cleaning supplies

Great goods from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff previous to and you
are simply too great. I really like what you’ve bought here,
certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you assert it.
You are making it entertaining and you still care for
to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you.
That is actually a wonderful website.

Maggie

I have seen these all
Over the North Carolina Mountains, I was wondering what they were. I guess It was a Quilt Trail! Thanks for this great explanation!

Darlenr Baker

My sister and I toured Wisconsin summer of 2014 when we saw our first barn quilts. We took pictures of them and collected between 20 & 30 different patterns. Their tourist bureau didn’t have a map, they had a list of addresses. So off we went after plugging in the first addresses in my GPS. We had more fun then if it had been a scavenger hunt,

Michele Jones

The Ontario Barn Quilt Trail website and Pinterest page also have great information to get your barn quilt block completed and hung up. This website also provides information on almost all of the Barn Quilt Trails in Ontario, Canada.