Should You Join a Block of the Month?

Posted by on Aug 22, 2013 in Quilting | Comments

A Block of the Month series, commonly called a BOM, offers a chance for quilters to learn new skills and techniques. It’s typically structured in a way that teaches a new block each month, for a total of 12 blocks. At the end of the year, these blocks can be sewn into a sampler quilt top!

There are many Block of the Month clubs online, but you also might find patterns in magazines or stand-alone quilt patterns for purchase. Some of these also include fabric to make the blocks. The format of each pattern depends on whether or not you will pay to be a part of the BOM.

If you’re looking for a free Block of the Month to join, you’ll find many for free online.

Quilt Featuring Various Modern Patterns

If you haven’t joined Craftsy Block of the Month 2013 with Laura Nownes, it’s not too late to jump in!

This free online video course teaches 12 quilt blocks of various sizes, including techniques like partial seams, equilateral triangles, Y-seams and curved piecing.

Also included with the course is a basic lesson on how to assemble your blocks into a quilt and finish with binding. The polka-dot themed blocks seen above were made by Craftsy member Rosiecat, who uploads digital photos of each block as she completes it.

Is a Block of the Month for you? Here are some reasons why we love them!

Quilt Squares Laying on Wood Floor

Learn from others

One of the benefits of joining an online Block of the Month is the chance to quilt along with others and see how everyone interprets the same pattern. It’s fun to see a block made in different fabric choices, and it’s convenient to have others who you can go to for ideas, tips and inspiration.

The above blocks were made by Craftsy member Di4N4 for February, and you’ll see many variations added as projects to the site.

Quilt Block with Interlacing Pattern

Build your skills

If you’re looking to grow as a quilter, a BOM is a great resource. During the year, you’ll learn new blocks and techniques — many of which you may never would have tried on your own.

Craftsy member Harverster adapted the skills she learned for August’s basket block (making a bias handle) to design her own block, a modified Celtic Knot, seen above.

Stack of Colorful Fabric

Find time to sew

Although there are no hard deadlines, joining a Block of the Month might encourage you to sew more often. Having the goal of at least one block per month is a good goal for many quilters who struggle to find time to sew! If you have a fabric stack like this sitting in your sewing space, perhaps it’s time to join an online quilt-along and get sewing.

Three Quilt Blocks Featuring Similar Patterns, Different Colors

Make friends

Whether you join a Block of the Month class that’s online or in person at a quilt shop, you’ll have a chance to meet and interact with other quilters. In the midst of a busy week, sometimes it’s just nice to share a little bit of life with others.

During the Craftsy Block of the Month 2012, Elizabeth of the blog Inspire Me Grey quilted along with two coworkers who were new to quilting. They met each month to work on their blocks and she blogged about their progress.

Are you ready to join a Block of the Month? It’s not too late to join the Craftsy Block of the Month 2013 with Laura Nownes. Sign up for FREE today!

Have you completed (or started) a Block of the Month? What was your favorite part?

Comments

1. Ladymax says:

I have done many BOM’s and continue to love them. I have learned many new techniques and practiced them several times over. A great chance to chat with other quilters.

2. Rosecathy says:

So surprised to see my Design Wall for the 2013 BOM used. I am honored that it caught your eye. I have had so much fun with Laura Nownes’ BOM. Craftsy is a great learning avenue and have learned so much from the classes I have taken. Thanks for using my Design Wall for your example – it boosted my confidence.

1. Kathleen says:

Love that design wall idea! Do you need a special program to do that?

1. Rosecathy says:

The “badge” as Laura Nownes called it is included in the lessons. Then a photo editing program is needed. I did it on my iPad and used a program called Picsart which was a free program.

3. Katie Wells says:

Learning new techniques and short cut I love BOM’s I have 3 baby quilts to do right now but when I am finished I will start a BOM Thank you for this site

4. Karen says:

The BOM that you show above has a different block in the lower right corner then what Laura is teaching us. I say that but am I incorrect and I missed something. Either way I am loving the BOM classes from Craftsy

1. Rosecathy says:

Yes, I used a different block rather than the basket. I wanted a different look than with the basket. I made the basket also and will use it on another project. It’s nice to change things around and make it my own.

5. Rosemary says:

Thanks for displaying the Craftsy BOM 2013. I did last year’s BOM but haven’t done any of this years’ yet. One reason is that the sizes are so different I didn’t understand how they were going together until I saw this post. I really enjoy doing BOM even though I’m an experienced sewist. The new techniques are really fun and I love watching and learning.

6. Jo-Anne Schindler says:

Yes, I am working on 2013 Block of the Month with Laura and I love it. I am a bit behind due to vacation and illness, but I am home now and feeling better so hope to get caught in the next few weeks. My favourite part of it is that I am learning different blocks each month and at the end of the year I will have another quilt done.

7. sharon knickman says:

I am looking for someone to teach how to Quiilt
    in Knoxville tn

8. Nancy Greenwood says:

Love to quilt

9. Suzie Alcott says:

This is new to me. I hope this will get me started with Block of the Month.

10. Margitsalon respress says:

I love your classes all r great!!! What a great way to learn & be inspired & be able to go back & rewatch love love crafty:)