Feed a Crowd With Baked Scrambled Eggs

I'm a firm believer that there are two types of people in this world: those who can make scrambled eggs, and those who can't.

Now, sure, it might just be that I'm a little bit picky about my eggs. I want them light and fluffy. Not underdone, but also not dry. And, please, whatever you do, do not let my scrambled eggs brown! There is nothing worse than crunchy, brown bits in scrambled eggs.

Scrambled Eggs in a White Dish

How to Build Your Best Breakfast

How to Build Your Best Breakfast

Whether quick or leisurely, cook your best breakfast with these essential techniques and tips!Get My FREE Guide »

I'm happy to say that I have a foolproof recipe for all of you who struggle to make perfect scrambled eggs.

In fact, even you scrambled-egg professionals will love this recipe. You'll get perfectly fluffy eggs every time. The best part? These oven-baked eggs are even simpler than the stove-top variety most of us are used to.

Not only are these eggs foolproof, they are perfect for feeding a large crowd.

Imagine standing at the stove flipping pancakes, frying bacon and manning the hash browns. Of course your eggs are going to suffer! Unless, of course, you pop them in the oven. They bake right up into fluffy, tender clouds of egg perfection.

Close Up View of Scrambled Eggs and Wooden Spoon

Doctor these eggs up. They're practically begging for it!

You can easily add in all kinds of goodies to your oven-baked scrambled eggs. Just add these ingredients right in with your raw eggs and cook as directed.

• Add a burst of extra protein and flavor to your eggs with small pieces of fried bacon, diced ham or crumbled sausage.
  • Veggies aren't just for dinner. Mix some diced peppers (bell peppers are great for kids, but a spicy jalapeño would be amazing for a little kick) into your eggs with a bit of onion. I prefer to sauté my veggies in a bit of butter before adding them to the eggs, but if you like your veggies extra crunchy, just mix them right in without pre-cooking.
  • Cheese is always a delicious option when it comes to eggs. I like to mix things up by stirring in freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Cheddar is always a classic, though.
  • Give your eggs a burst of Mexican flavor by adding in some diced green chilies, crumbled chorizo and diced red peppers. Top with cheddar and jack cheeses, and add your favorite salsa before serving. Serve them in a tortilla for a quick, filling breakfast burrito.

Wooden Spoon Holding Scrambled Eggs, White Dish in Background

Oven baked scrambled eggs

[Want to save or print this recipe? Click here to get the PDF version, PLUS enjoy bonus breakfast recipes readers love — absolutely FREE!]

Ingredients:

• 4 tablespoons butter
      • 12 eggs
      • 1 cup milk
      • Dash of hot sauce
      • Salt and pepper, to taste
      • Chives, for sprinkling before serving.

Directions:

Step 1:

Turn oven to 350F degrees. Place the butter in a 9" by 13" baking dish, and place in the oven to allow the butter to melt while the oven preheats.

Step 2:

Remove the hot pan from the oven and swirl the butter around to coat the bottom of the pan.

Step 3:

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and hot sauce until well combined. Pour into the dish of melted butter and return to the oven.

Step 4:

Use a spatula to stir the eggs at the 8 minute mark. Be sure to scrape the edges of the pan while stirring. Continue cooking for 8 more minutes and stir again. At this point, the eggs will probably be slightly wet. You can continue cooking them for another 2 minutes (but not too long or you'll dry them out) or serve them as is for perfectly fluffy eggs.

Step 5:

Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped chives, and serve.

How to Build Your Best Breakfast

How to Build Your Best Breakfast

Pamela

Lovely idea and I will try this but can you please remember that a lot of the rest of the world use Centigrade and not Fahrenheit!!! You state in the recipe to cook in an oven at 350 degrees and you should really qualify that by actually saying 350F, so that those of us in other countries know what you mean and not end up with something burnt!

brent

How could you possibly not understand this recipe calls for a 350 F oven temperature? 350 c would be well over 600 F! Does your oven reach anywhere near that temperature?
Don’t be a weirdo. Also, the correct word is “quantify” not “qualify”.

Alex

Actually, she used “qualify” correctly. Why don’t you go look up the definition of the word instead of bullying strangers on the internet?

Dani

Don’t ya’ll mean “clarify”? Anyhoo, Brent, you’re a #######.

Sheila Zachariae

Great recipe! Being Greek, it’s in our blood to cook entertain and enjoy good food, family and friends. I’m afraid that Greek cooking is all I’m good at! I’ve tried fancy this and fancy that. I’ve had a go at many ethnic dishes as well. I always come back to my roots. There is nothing simpler or better tasting.

Thanks for sharing,
Sheila

katie

I love the idea of baking the scrambled eggs and i could see this as the perfect breakfast item to serve up for a brunch with hungry guests!

Holly Rackham

Can this recipe be made in a crockpot? It would be nice to have it ready for breakfast in the morning when the kids get up for school.

Karly

I don’t think this one would work in a crock pot, though I’ve never tried it myself.

Lisa

There’s a bit of a joke in my family that I can’t make good scrambled eggs. I found this recipe this afternoon and went straight into the kitchen to make them. Hands down, the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made. Thank you for rescuing me from the “Those Who Can’t Make Scrambled Eggs” category!

Marge

These eggs were very good; however, the timing was off. I baked these 15-20 minutes longer than the suggested time. I know my oven was accurate because I baked other items and the times matched the recipes. My guests ate these eggs after they finished the rest of the meal. I will have to think about serving these to a crowd when I am including other entrees.

ethan

Kind of the same scenario with me. My mom and I decided to make this for brunch before we headed out for some errands. It took a lot longer than what we expected but all in all it turned out superb. Great recipe. But to anyone reading this sub – comment. Add some variety to this just the basic eggs and chives are great but i kinda screwed up on the ratio of chives to eggs so you can’t fail with extra ingredients on hand!

Samantha Cooler

Awesome. Thank you. I added bacon like you suggested and cheese. Was so good and so easy. <3

Samantha Cooler

Samantha Cooler

Debbie

do you think you could pre Mix ingredients night before and bake the next morning?

sue cinco

Wondering what the answers were to the questions people asked such as : can you mix the night before, how many does this feed as I am trying to feed 40 people and can it be made the night before and reheated. Also, can it stay in a low oven after baking?
Thanks

Karly

Hi Sue.

I’ve never tried pre-mixing these the night before, but I don’t think it would hurt anything. Maybe give it another quick mix before baking.

As for serving size, it really depends on how hungry your guests are. This recipe calls for a dozen eggs – how many eggs per person is up to you.

I would not bake and then reheat these. They will dry out.

Jen

If I were to cut the recipe in half, how would the cook time differ? I do not need to cook for a large crowd, but would really like to try this recipe out.

Lynn

Karly-Please reply to the question regarding timing, If we cut the recipe in half or even thirds, then when do you stir the mix. I want to give it a try but I live alone and that’s a lot of eggs. Thanks!

Karly

Hi Lynn!

I apologize for the extremely late reply on these – I wasn’t getting email notifications of new comments for some reason.

Anyway, I would recommend baking them in an 8×8 dish and following the same time frame. I haven’t tried it, so you may have to play around with it, but that’s where I would start if I were making a half batch.

Kristina

Do these keep warm ok or would they dry out in an oven set at 200? We are serving 3 groups of kids at school in half hour increments but the ovens are a bit fincky so we can time it perfectly, would they be ok to keep warm for half hour or possibly longer?

Karly

I think they would probably dry out after a while. I’d turn the ovens to low just before they’re completely cooked through to avoid that.

Ellen

This recipe is awesome. The simplicity makes it perfect. Then I added hash browns to the bottom with cooked bacon whipped in the eggs. Any veggies are good and always add onion. Thanks.

Kevin

This is a great idea. I read about it maybe 2 months ago but with a small twist. Instead of using a baking dish, I used muffin pans. I added sautéed mushrooms and onions, some ham and bacon pieces which I baked in the oven first on a sheet of tinfoil, and Velveeta cheese to please the kids. They come out awesome. And the best part is you can make extra and they reheat great in the microwave (especially if you add more cheese). I’m told you can even freeze them, but I’ve not made enough to last that long. Two muffins pans make 24, the three of us ate about 9 or 10 the first night and the rest went into the fridge. They were all gone in maybe three days. In fact the only reason they lasted that long is because my kids don’t like mushrooms and left the ones with mushrooms in them for me. Time to cook was 20 minutes, but I did notice after the second and third time that cooking time relates to how much milk you add. No need to stir during cooking this way.

Crstna

Hi Kevin, did you line the muffin pans with muffin paper first?

Debbie

Hi can you advise if I can use a stainless steel roasting pan to make these eggs as I’ve a huge crowd I’m catering for 90 people. Eggs go grey if left in a stainless steel pan for a time before serving

Karen Teeling

you say that these reheat in the microwave “beautifully” but didn’t say how in your recipe. I want to make scrambled eggs for 12 and bring them tot he office – obviously after a 30 minute train ride they’ll be cold – how do I reheat in the microwave