Feel at Home with Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

Posted by on Jun 21, 2013 in Cake Decorating | Comments

Homemade fondant is quick and easy to make, cheap and totally delicious. So why are we still buying so much of the branded product? In this short tutorial, I will show you to make my homemade recipe of choice, marshmallow fondant, or LMF.

Adding Fondant to Cakes - Craftsy.com

Jessica Harris adds and smooths her marshmallow fondant in Clean & Simple Cake Design

LMF is an improvement on the traditional marshmallow fondant (MMF) recipes you may have tried before. The addition of some Wilton or other store bought fondant gives it the elasticity and workability that you may have felt was missing from other recipes.

Improve  your fondant skills in the FREE class Basic Fondant Techniques with Elisa Strauss, then explore more advanced (and innovative!) techniques in Clean and Simple Cake Design, with cake expert Jessica Harris.

The recipe below yields four and a quarter pounds of fondant and costs about $5, depending on where you shop.

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 lb store-brand mini marshmallows (Jet puffed, Kraft and marshmallow fluff do not work). You can use large marshmallows if you have to, but cut them into quarters before melting.
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1.25 lbs of Wilton fondant or any other brand pre-made fondant
  • Extra powdered sugar for kneading

Tools:

Method:

Step 1: Weigh 2lb powdered sugar into a bowl and set aside.

Weighing and Sifting Confectioner's Sugar

Step 2: Lightly grease a large microwavable bowl with a little shortening. Weigh 1lb mini marshmallows into the bowl.

Marshmallows in Bowl

Step 3: Microwave the marshmallows on high for one minute.

Step 4: Continue to microwave the marshmallow on high until they are melted and puffed up. Do not stir at this point. The photo below shows marshmallows that still retain their shape, although they are completely melted.

Melting Marshmallows

Step 5: Spoon 3tbs water between the marshmallows and the bowl, all the way around. You want the water to seep underneath so that the sticky mixture can easily be poured into your mixing bowl.

Step 6: Transfer the marshmallows to your mixing bowl. With any luck, they should just pour right in.

Pouring Marshmallows into Stand Mixer Bowl

Step 7: Attach your dough hook to your stand mixer and add 1/4 cup shortening or other white vegetable fat.

Adding Powdered Sugar to Mixture

Step 8: With the mixture on low, add about half the powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth, and no lumps of sugar are visible. Scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl regularly.

Mixing Fondant

Step 9: When about half of the powdered sugar has been added, the mixture should start to form a lump around the dough hook. Continue adding another couple of cups of powdered sugar until the fondant starts to release from the sides. Use your spatula to help the process along.

Releasing Mixture from Sides

Step 10: At this point, microwave your one and a quarter pounds of Wilton fondant on high for around 40 seconds, until it is soft and pliable. Be careful not to overheat as hot fondant can burn you.

Step 11: Grease your hands with shortening and pull the the fondant off the hook. Put the whole lump into the bowl with the leftover powdered sugar. Add the softened Wilton and start kneading everything together.

Kneading Fondant in Bowl

Step 12: Continue kneading until the powdered sugar and the Wilton fondant is completely combined. Knead in a little more powdered sugar if the mixture still feels too sticky.

Finished Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

Step 13: You can use the fondant immediately, or wrap it in plastic wrap or a large Ziplock bag until needed. If you store it for later use, you may need to heat the fondant for 30 seconds or so in the microwave before starting to roll it out.

You can color your fondant as usual with gel colors, but to achieve dark colors like black, red and purple, add the color at the melted marshmallow stage. Omit two tablespoons of water and replace them with two tablespoons of your chosen color. For a lighter shade, replace less water with color. To tint the fondant to a truer white, you can add white food coloring.

LMF will give you great quality results at a fraction of the cost you would pay for store-bought fondant. Use it for covering cakes in the traditional way like Colette Peters in her Vintage Cakes, Modern Methods class, or try the methods presented in Clean & Simple Cake Design.

LMF recipe reproduced with the kind permission of Elizabeth Marek from Artisan Cake Company.

*If you don’t have a stand mixer with a dough hook, it is possible to make this fondant by hand. Just empty the entire two pounds of powdered sugar into the bowl of melted marshmallows and knead, but make sure you rub shortening on your hands and forearms and be prepared to get messy! Follow the directions as above once the sugar is all combined.

Do you have any tips or tricks for making marshmallow fondant at home?

Comments

1. Shaneya says:

What’s the point of making homemade fondant that requires 1.25 lbs of store bought fondant? I don’t get it.

1. I know it seems confusing but let me break it down….
      Really good fondant tastes great but is expensive
      MMF tastes great but can be hard to use
      Homemade fondant works great but has to set overnight

This recipe is cheap to make, tastes great and works like the expensive stuff and you can use it right away. I invented this recipe for people who cannot afford to buy expensive fondant or don’t like the way store bought tastes (you can’t even taste the wilton). It has been made by over half a million people with rave reviews and more every day.

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer for you.

1. Ginger says:

Love this!! Thank you!!

2. Wendi says:

I make mine stictly homemade and it’s so good. I do not add any store bought.

2. gina says:

a well needed recipe. i cant believe they can justify charging $18.50 for a kilo of this stuff thats coloured in the cake shops. thanks so much craftsy !! lets see more animal making now please !!!

3. Bonnie Merchant says:

This is the best fondant in the whole world! Liz Marek is a genius… and she is cute too!

4. Suzanne Medal says:

Yeah! Lesley, tried your LMF, Liz! So excited for you. Happy dance here! Let me say again, this LMF makes my life so much easier, in a way that I don’t have to struggle with I roll my fondant. It’s such a great savings too, not having to spend on shipping for expensive fondant. :)

5. judith says:

tnx a million!

6. preetiyogesh says:

Hii, just want to ask can we make fondant without marshmallow?? i mean any other recipe. i live in India and its not easy to find marshmallow .

1. Ana says:

Search for Rolled Buttercream Fondant or Rolled Fondant and you will find recipes that don’t require marshmallow. HTH.

7. Kathryn Hirst says:

This fondant recipe is amazing! It tastes great, is so easy and satisfying to make, rolls to 3mm thin without tearing so no more thick fondant and a little will cover a whole lot, stays soft for SO much longer so you have way more time to add detail and is the absolute best for making models when tylo is added because it is so pliable and smooth and doesn’t crack and dry while you are working with it. You have to try this! You won’t regret it! I won’t use any other fondant/sugarpaste now.
    I’m in the UK and use Haribo Chamallows pink and white to make dark colours like black. Turns shocking pink then black paste is added. Tastes of strawberry and makes just over 2kilos. White marshmallows give a lovely subtle vanilla flavour, and further flavouring can be added at the mixing stage to make a really individual sugarpaste/fondant.
    I’ve added Renshaws Regalice, Covapaste and Waitrose own brand (£1.99/k) fondant/sugarpaste with equally excellent results. You can make a batch and experiment by dividing your LMF and adding different ready made sugarpastes/fondants to decide what is best for you. Try covering anything (upturned cake tin, container, irregularly shaped object), lightly coated in shortening, (Trex in UK) and prepare to be amazed! It IS that good! Love Love Love it and can’t recommend highly enough! Liz Marek totally rocks!

1. Mish Pattinson says:

:-) I know you love this……. Gonna have a go now I have my marshmallows x

8. Spooky_789 says:

I really like the LMF. The only suggestion or recommendation that I have is to add some flavoring to it. While it tastes good as is, it tastes better with some vanilla added to it.

9. Letty says:

This is the best fondant recipe ever. I have made it many times. To make it easier, add your coloring (use gel or powdered color only) to the melted marshmallow. Also, to the melted marshmallow you can add a few drops of flavored oil such as Tutti Fruity or almond. Rolling it out warm makes it so nice to handle and it tastes great. You’ll get many compliments on this one.

1. Lesley says:

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing this!

10. Lesley says:

PREETIYOGESH – I have to admit that I’ve not seen one. Sorry!

1. preetiyogesh says:

thnx no problem

11. Lesley says:

SHANEYA – it’s a good point. There are lots of recipes for marshmallow fondant (MMF) out there that don’t require the addition of store bought. But, in my experience – and I’ve tried most of them – they don’t give me the professional results I need. The addition of just this small amount of Wilton, or another brand available to you, completely changes the texture, elasticity and workability of MMF. Without the Wilton, MMF can be very springy, and shrinks back in size as you roll it. It also seems to develop pock marks. This is fine for the hobby baker and the beginner, but decorators wanting a more professional product as a fraction of the store bought price, might just love this.

12. Darla says:

This is without a doubt the best fondant recipe ever! I’ve had people in the past request buttercream cakes because they didn’t like the taste of fondant. I now have the same customers requesting fondant cakes because they love the taste of this so much. It is so easy to work with also. Can be used immediately and does NOT tear, rip or get elephant skin. Thank you Liz for sharing this recipe with everyone, you are my fondant queen. :)

13. TheHappyCaker says:

Love love love this fondant! This is the fondant I use on all of my cakes. It is so easy to work with and it tastes good!

14. Tami says:

I have been doing the fondant from marshmallows for a long time and am extremely grateful for this tutorial! The marshmallow fondant is to soft, especially in the heat it doesn’t stand up. I have also been doing it completely by hand! it never occurred to me to do it with my bread dough hook? This will save me so much time and be a whole lot easier! Thank you for sharing!

15. Teri says:

Can you use this for figure moldering? With tylose added or not?

1. yes you can, just add tylose to stiffen it up

2. Debi says:

Yes we in the cake community that make flowers and figures add a bit of tylose powder. If you go to Artisan Cake Co. Liz can answer any questions. This is the best stuff to work with.

16. Sharonsugar says:

I just love this fondant I use it all the time and use it for figurines as well it holds up better I find and dries firmer than gumpaste

17. Kathryn Hirst says:

This is THE most fabulous fondant recipe! Adding a little store bought fondant gives just the right amount of elasticity. The fondant tastes great, rolls out beautifully thin without tearing and is SO easy and cheap to make. I store it at room temperature wrapped tightly in a ziplock bag and in an airtight box. I have made black fondant with pink and white mini marshmallows (Haribo Chamallows) which needs a quick zap in the microwave to restore softness but this is no problem. I recently covered a car cake measuring 21″x 11″ x 8″ and only used 1.2 kilos (2.6Lbs). It is also fantastic for modelling as it is so elastic and doesn’t dry out quickly. I can’t recommend this fondant recipe highly enough! You have to try it!

18. Lesley says:

TERI – Yes, you can, definitely. With the addition of tylo powder, CMC or gum tragacanth, this fondant dries and hardens nicely.

19. Teri says:

Thanks Lesley, I am going to make a batch today!

20. Gloria says:

I stopped making fondant covered cake for a while because i always have a problem with my MMF, i was kind of traumatized but last week i was forced to make one for my nephew, Since i have the recipe & read about LMF from the Artisan blog, hmmn i am positive i can make it this time, LMF it is but , for a first timer , nervous , i i made a mistake somewhere along the process of making it, the fondant was too soft , maybe because of the weather.?, it was raining then the following day was very hot, humid, , so i added some MMF( from the old recipe i was using before), I, panicked butI made it thru, the cake was okay..I romisd myself i am going to make another LMF when i get back from my short vacation!!! I shall return LMF !!!! Thanks for the recipe Liz Marek and thank you Lesley for the write up!!! God bless you all!!!!

21. Heather says:

I have used just about EVERY fondant out there & this is THE BEST!!!!
    All of my customers LOVE it. I’ve made regular marshmallow fondant before & it tasted too sweet & my customers didn’t care for it, so I just used another brand that I had to order online. I now use nothing but Liz Marek’s recipe! It’s flawless & use more than HALF of what I used to because I can roll my fondant so thin. I can also make a mistake & it will buff right out with my fondant paddles. Adding the Wilton fondant adds elasticity & makes the fondant not sugary sweet. I will never go back to purchasing fondant again. This is my go-to, my everything. I think if someone doesn’t know how to use fondant, this is the perfect recipe to start with.
    Liz Marek is high talented & skilled. She is full of information & is always helpful.
    Thank you for keeping things so POSITIVE!

22. Sonolito says:

This is a great recipe for MMF! I would almost compare it to the consistency of Satin Ice. Its very easy to work with. And it does work with Jet Puff marshmallows!

23. Kathleen says:

I’m a hobby decorator for the most part, and found commercial fondant to be somewhat expensive. So I found this MMF recipe online about 6 months ago, tried it, and loved it. and have had no inclination to try any other since. I use Wilton fondant as the store-bought – I buy it with a coupon, so that cost is nominal. This fondant is easy to work with, colours well, and rolls like a dream. I’ve used it for figures without adding anything and found it dries really nicely. The only thing I now do is add clear vanilla flavouring (replacing some of the water), as I found the MMF to be somewhat flavourless (which is probably the fault of the generic marshmallows I use). I would like to try flavoured marshmallows one day, maybe halving the recipe. Anyway, for anyone who hasn’t tried this MMF, I highly recommend it. :-)

24. elma says:

how does this hold in humid climates? any experience? thanks

25. Donna says:

I never liked homemade fondant it never came out the same. Then I saw on a bakers site a lot of people talking about this recipe, I finally tried it and I love it.

26. Lacey says:

You call this your recipe?….You are using Wilton’s Fondant..this is not your recipe. Homemade is made with fresh ingredients. You are using a company fondant to create fondant and call it yours. Is like baking cake box and saying is from scratch.

27. Lesley says:

ELMA – I am sorry to say that I don’t know. I live in Northern California where there is very little humidity. Because it’s so cheap, it might be worth your while making a half batch and seeing how it works for you. Maybe add a little less water. I’m sorry I can’t help you with that.

28. Claire says:

Liz you are legend …….. That is all !

29. Lesley says:

LACEY – I would have said homemade is ‘made in the home,’ but I guess it’s a matter of semantics. In this case, Wilton fondant is just another ingredient that you buy at the store. It uses ready-made marshmallows that you buy in the store, although it is possible to make marshmallows at home from scratch. I doubt anybody does that with traditional MMF and that is called homemade. And no, I don’t call this my recipe, this is Liz Marek’s recipe from Artisan Cake Company. If you’re happy with the fondant you use, fantastic. If not, this recipe, using a few dollars’ worth of store bought fondant is definitely worth a try.

30. Barbara says:

I see in the comments people have said they have made black fondant using this recipe. Do you just add heaps of black gel colour, or do you add some cocoa at the mixing stage, replacing come of the icing sugar. I want to make some brown fondant to use next week. Thanks for any help.

31. Lynne says:

Hi thank you for sharing! Just wondering how long can this fondant be stored? Can it be refrigerated?

32. Dusty says:

I can’t wait to make this! I bought my Wilton fondant already with coupons at Michaels. =D I’ve been using Satin Ice fondant for about 3 years now and I’m SO tired of the elephant skin and stretching every time I cover my cakes! This recipe sounds like a dream!! Thanks so much Lesley & Liz!!

33. Lesley says:

LYNNE – This is best stored at room temperature, twice wrapped if you’re going to keep it for a while. It might need ten seconds in the microwave when you come to use it again to soften it up. It’s not necessary to refrigerate it.

1. Toni Wood-Browne says:

Please ANSWER the question! HOW LONG can this be stored???

34. Lesley says:

BARBARA – if you would follow the link at the bottom of the post to the Artisan Cake Company’s own blog post about this fondant, Liz Marek gives definitely instructions of how to color this fondant black, red, or other dark/bright color.

35. Jenn says:

Hi Lesley, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us … you have a way of making things less intimidating and I get so much encouragement from your creativity, your FB page and tutorials!! I made this recipe tonight and it WORKED! I’m so excited to try working with it on my cake this week.

36. I just tried this recipe last week and let me say, It truly is AWESOME!! I usually make MMF when covering cakes and I secretly have had a love/hate relationship with the stuff. And, actually, there’s more hate than love… It tastes good but too stretchy. Hard to roll out and messy to make! This recipe was the answer to my prayers! Well, the messy part never went away but ALL the other reasons to hate it did!! I will gladly clean up the mess if the end result is favorable. The addition of the 1.25lbs of Wilton fondant didn’t diminish the great taste, but enhanced its texture. Thank you for revamping this recipe Liz! And to Leslie for the write up! This will be my go-to fondant from here on out.

37. Pam Nobles says:

You never said HOW LONG is the shelf life

1. Lesley says:

Well-wrapped, you can keep this in the cupboard for months.

38. Julie says:

I want to try this; however, 1/2 of the writing on the page is not sowing up…I cannot see a great deal of what I am writing now! Any idea of why I cannot see all of it??~!

1. Support says:

Hi,

We’re aware that some members are experiencing the same thing as you. We are working hard to fix any issues related to the the text not appearing properly. This seems to be related to Internet Explorer 10. While we’re working on fixing this issue, can you try using a different browser? We recommend Google Chrome (www.google.com/chrome) or Firefox. Sorry for any inconvenience!

39. Vattenkanna says:

I’m wondering how long you can keep this fondant in an airtight container?… I’m thinking about doing couple of batches one day and save them for later.. And can you double the recipe or is it best if you do one batch at the time. Thank you!

1. Lesley Wright says:

You can keep this for a good new months. You might need to microwave it for a few seconds to soften it a little before use, but it stays good if wrapped tightly in cling wrap. I think doubling the recipe is not a good idea unless you have a very large capacity mixer. If you want to do it all by hand, then yes, you can.

40. Heather says:

As a Satin Ice fondant fan, I have to say that this recipe is amazing! It is SO worth buying the store-bought fondant to add to it, and worth the time to make! A $6 package of fondant, a $1 bag of marshmallows, a $2 bag of powdered sugar and your time…….and tada……….you have awesome fondant that is easy to use! So, for less than $10, you can have well over three pounds of fondant that holds up great!

1. Lesley Wright says:

I’m so glad you said that! When you started off with ‘As a Satin Ice fondant fan…’ I thought you were going to tell me how wrong I was! :-)

41. Kathy T. says:

I must comment about this most amazing fondant. I love Satin Ice, but it just got too expensive and so lately I have been making my own marshmallow fondant. BUT, on humid Southern California days, it could be very difficult to work with. I decided to give this fondant recipe a try on a wedding cake that I needed to do today. It was well over 100 degrees here and VERY humid, but this fondant worked like a dream!!!! I am so relieved and wanted to thank you for this great blog post, Lesley! I won’t have to be nervous again when working on a cake on a hot and humid day.

1. Lesley Wright says:

I’m so glad to hear this! I know Liz Marek is following this post, so she will see it too! She’ll be pleased to hear about another happy baker! Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment. x

42. maryann smith says:

I gave up on fondant because store bought is expensive & has a bad taste & I thought mmf wasjust to hard to work with. I can’wait to try this

43. Linda says:

Why add Wilton’s fondant? What does that do?

1. Lesley Wright says:

Did you read the blog, Linda? Here’s a quote from the second paragraph you must have missed: ‘The addition of some Wilton or other store bought fondant gives it the elasticity and workability that you may have felt was missing from other recipes.’

44. Funni says:

Is this LMF works with sharp edges ganache? I never try to make fondant before, I’m exited to try this LMF. Thanks for sharing Lesley :)

45. Connie says:

Hi, I needed a large amount of fondant right away and used your recipe. I had a box of Wilton fondant from a class and did not like the taste. It was easy and added lemon for flavor and it came out great. Wow there was enough to make a few colors and was very easy to use. I suggest everyone who has a box of Wilton fondant sitting around to use it for this recipe. The texture was wonderful….Thanks a lot,

46. D says:

Hi,

What brands of marshmallow can I use ? Why won’t Kraft work? I live in Asia and we have limited brand choice. Can I use Rocky Mountain?

47. Angie says:

Recipe calls for 0.5 cups shortening but near picture it says add 0.25 cup shortening. Did I miss something? Thanks!

48. Mrs Patricia STOOKS says:

Does it to be wilton fondant as I can only get a store brand where I live in Spain?

49. Janet says:

I have tried just about every fondant recipe I can find. Most are difficult to make to say they least, and call for a long list of ingredients.
    LMF is easy to make and amazingly easy to use for a very reasonable cost. Adding the packaged fondant whether is it Wilton, or Satin Ice just adds stability. It also saves you from having to add the gelatin and glycerine. You have to have something in there that will give you a little more elasticity. I think that’s why most of us do not like most marshmallow fondant, not enough elasticity! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the LMF!
    So yes, to those nay sayers, I say this… Liz Mareck Fondant is NOT the same as Wilton or any other fondant!
    You can have sharp edges, or soft, it works beautifully in Florida humidity and heat, and add some Tylose and you have some decent gumpaste!
    Thank you so much Lizzo for sharing this with us!

50. samee says:

I make my own MMF using only branded marsmallows (Kraft) and powdered sugar (C&H). It is more pliable and has a shiny texture when you use it to cover your cake. Tried using the store brand for both marshmallow and powdered sugar, fondant was coarse and dry but perfect to make gumpaste flowers out of it, it dries quickly. If fondant gets hard just coat it thinly with shortening then microwave in ten seconds interval till soft to the touch.

51. Sheri says:

This recipe is amazing! I just finished making a batch of LMF fondant. So easy to make. I added Wilton fondant and you can’t even taste that horrid stuff in the batch. Making fondant characters is going to be so much easier with this recipe.

52. Phyllis says:

I can’t wait to try out this recipe! Question, how long can I keep it for? Can I make a big batch and use it over a month or more? Thank you!

1. Lesley says:

You absolutely can, Phyllis. I keep mine double-wrapped in cling wrap and, if I’m going to keep it for a month, I wrap it again with foil. You can keep it in the fridge if you like (although it’s not necessary), but the longer you keep it, the more likely you are to need to microwave it for a few seconds before you use it.