Sewing Tips for Turning Inside Out

Posted by on May 13, 2013 in Sewing | Comments

turning inside out

Often when sewing you will be creating a tube of fabric that will need to be turned inside out. Spaghetti straps, tote handles, sash belts, and many other fabric tubes can be an absolute pain to turn around. Since you are typically sewing with right sides together, you are left with a thin tube of fabric to flip. My personal favorite way to handle this is with a tube turner. The ones I use in my studio are made by Fast Tube and can be found on the Internet. Just be sure to use the size that fits the tube you are sewing!

step 1

Step 1: Fit the metal tube up the tube of fabric. Squish the fabric down until it all fits from top to the plastic ring at the bottom.

step 2

Step 2: Put the wire end of the wire stick up the hole of the metal tube. It should come out at the top.

step 3

Step 3: Twist the corkscrew end of the wire stick into the seam allowance to secure in place.

step 4

Step 4: Pull the wire stick out of the bottom of the metal tube and push the fabric up the tube at the same time. The fabric should feed into the hole of the tube at the top.

step 5

Step 5: The tube should come out of the tube turner completely. Unscrew the wire stick from the tube of fabric.

step 6

Step 6: Press the piece with an iron, set to the pressing heat that is good for the fabric chosen.

And that’s it! With the right tools, this typically boring task can be done in a jiffy!

You might also enjoy learning how to sew a dress from scratch, and how to select the best sewing closures for your projects. Come back to the Craftsy blog tomorrow to learn how to sew a tank top.

Comments

1. Jill says:

GENIUS!!!! I totally need one of these!!!

2. Judy says:

I want these too! I went to the website but didn’t see any gismos that run up the tube. Can you please provide more info? It looks as if it will really save so much time and frustration!

1. VickiT says:

Judy ~ There are a number of different tube turners if you do a search for that. The one it appears they are showing in these pictures is the one I own myself and they are awesome. I saw them at the Sewing Expo and did a quick project there to create a super cute Celtic braided bracelet using the tiny sized fabric tubes. And if you buy a set, buy the storage box. It’s totally worth the money so you don’t bend the wires. I was thrilled to see they had come out with the storage box when seeing them at the show. Anyway, this set as I mentioned appears to be the Fasturn. Find them here http://fasturn.net/home.php They had awesome wall hanging patterns to make wall hangings and other things from the fabric tubes too. SO many things you can make using them.

2. Kelly says:

Just Google tube turner for fabric. You will find several links. Amazon has a few to chose from. Here’s the first one that popped up on their site: http://www.amazon.com/Fasturn-Fabric-Turning-Includes-Storage/dp/B004YQV5MS
      Hope this helps.

3. Starr says:

I’m pretty sure it’s available at most sewing supply stores and from Nancy’s Notions and Joann’s.

3. Natalie says:

Fasturn tubes are great, and I think also come in another size set for larger tubes. Personally, I own a Turn-It-All set (originally called the Bow Whip, I don’t know why), which has a ‘ramrod’
    for each size tube. To use, you still scrunch the fabric tube onto the rigid tube, BUT you have to sew the top end SHUT so you can use the ‘ramrod’ to push the fabric down the rigid tube. Once the fabric comes out the bottom, you can remove the ‘ramrod’ & just pull on the fabric ’til it’s all right side out. For really long fabric tubes, sew BOTH ends shut, and leave a gap big enough for the tube turner right in the middle of the seam that runs down the length of the tube, then turn each half right side out. (You sew the gap shut by hand.) If it’s important to have the tube OPEN at both ends, you can either pick out the stitching on the closed end or just cut it off. A neat trick you can do with Fasturn is to turn & fill the tube simultaneously: just put whatever you want filling the tube (cording, soft thick yarn, or a strip of batting) right against the pigtail as you start to pull the fabric down, and it gets pulled down the tube inside the fabric. Turning tubes are also useful for getting cloth doll parts turned right side out, and I’ve seen them used to start turning other small fabric items (pincushions, padded appliques)as well.

4. Linda Walsh says:

I found tube turners years ago and have LOVED them ever since. They are indispensable for coll makers.

5. julie says:

you can find these at most quilt shops. they are around 50.00 a set. but well worth every penny. they are very useful but I use a dowel rod and it works really well as does a wooden spoon handle. just a few more usefull tips to think about and they work too

6. Ruth Hurley says:

I have bought several different turners over the years and none of them work–I hope this one really works!