How to Crochet Beautiful Broomstick Lace

Posted by on May 25, 2013 in Crocheting | Comments

The first time I saw broomstick lace, I had no idea that I could achieve it with a crochet hook. It looks like a magical stitch that can only come from some funky loom. Nope! All it takes is yarn, a crochet hook and a dowel.

broomstick

Grab a dowel — or knitting needle, or broomstick…

Broomstick crochet gets its name from 19th century crocheters who used a broom handle to crochet the lace. Using a broom handle isn’t necessary, though. I used a size 35 knitting needle. You could also use a dowel, a Q-sized crochet hook, or any other similar round object. Experiment with different sizes. Remember that the circumference of whatever you use will determine how large your lace pattern is. (You’ll see why in a minute!)

How to crochet the broomstick lace

For this sample, I chain stitched 21 so that I would have 5 loops in each set, but you can play around and see what the lace looks like with different numbers of loops. (The extra chain is for the turning chain.)

Step 1:

Ch 21. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each chain across. This will be your foundation for crocheting the lace. You should have 20 sc.

end of row

Step 2:

When you reach the end of the first row, pull up on the loop and slide it onto your dowel. If you’re using a dowel that’s tapered at the end like my knitting needle, be sure to push the loop all the way back to the fullest part of the dowel.

pull loop

Step 3:

Pull up a loop from each sc in the row and slide it onto the dowel. Here’s how:

Step 4:

Insert your hook into the next sc. Yo, pull up a loop. Slide the loop onto the dowel. Repeat across the row until you have 20 loops on the dowel.

slide off

Step 5:

Slide all the loops off the dowel. What you have will look like this:

off dowel

Step 6:

Insert your hook through the first 5 loops.

loops

Step 7:

Yarn over and pull through all 5 loops. Ch 1 for your turning chain.

chain

See the middle of the 5 loop group? It sort of looks like the eye of a tornado.

crochet

Step 8:

Crochet 5 sc into the middle of all 5 loops. (Here, the number of sc depends on the number of loops. So if you clustered the loops in groups of 3, you’d crochet 3 sc.)

group

Step 9:

You made your first group! Insert your hook through the next 5 loops.

pull

Step 10:

Pull the loop through and sc 5. (Remember that the chain is only done for the first group of loops in the row, as it’s the turning chain.)

Step 11:

Continue across the row until all the loops are grouped.

sc

Step 12:

Notice that the sc you made in each loop formed the base for the next row. Use those sc as a base to begin another lace row, pulling up the loops in each sc and placing them on the dowel just as you did before.

rows

Step 13:

Continue until you’ve reached the desired number of rows.

Once you’re comfortable with the broomstick lace technique, play around with different dowel sizes and numbers of loops. You can also use broomstick lace to create garments and accessories.

Title image for Beyond Basic Broomstick Lace Craftsy ClassLearn more!

Jennifer Hansen’s Beyond Basic Broomstick Lace class shows you how to work broomstick lace in the round and create short rows, plus how to correct mistakes and use the lace to make a beautiful cardigan or eyeglass case.

Enroll Now >>

Learn for life! With lifetime access to your classes, you can watch lessons at your preferred pace and easily revisit your favorite concepts with just a click.

Kick up your feet! Enjoy classes anytime from the convenience of your home or even on-the-go with our mobile apps.

Get personalized guidance! Ask your instructor questions to receive all the answers and feedback you need to succeed.

Love it! There’s no risk in trying with our 100% money back guarantee.

Comments

1. Mary Lou says:

thanks for the pattern. I am excited to start today. ml

2. Lynn says:

Looks like fun and so different. Can’t wait to start.

3. Betty says:

I love the broomstick lace afghan.

Thank you for printing this.

4. Aida elshinnawi says:

I like too much I saw it before on a video but this way is better

5. Krystyna says:

Have been meaning to o this or years , you have awaken the urge again thank you,

6. christina dillon says:

Broomstick Lace is one thing l have wanted the instructions for, for a long time. The instructions are very clear ans so simple, Cant wait to try it. Thank You

7. Kristina Boston says:

This is fantastic & the demo makes it look so easy! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you for posting this.

8. Alyce Cartl says:

My neighbor, 81 years old, (now passed), wanted so bad to learn to crochet but I had never tried to teach her. One day she showed me a scarf she was making and I fell in love with the pattern.I ask her what kind of stich she used and she said “broomstick lace.” My mother had spoken of this , so I decided to try it after I finish this afghan for my great grandaughter. EXCITED!!!!!!

9. Jane says:

thanks for the broom stick lace patt. have done this many yrs. ago. lost patt. when moved.love the stiches of lace in afghan & sweater.

10. Jeanny says:

Kende dit al en heb er al 2 kindervestjes mee gehaakt.
    Er is ook een boekje van. In plaats van vaste kan je het ook met stokjes haken.
    Gr. Jeanny

11. pam hamill says:

thankyou so much for instructiond i am an avid crotcheter and like to desighn my own patterns i saw this many years ago women at work on the island of gozo but they were too quick at it for me to pick it up looking forward to doing my forst baby blanket all i need now is wool thankyou so much pam hamill

12. Christine G. says:

Can’t wait to try this. I always love learning a new stitch–either knitting or crocheting.

13. Piret says:

Thanks, this was very helpful.

14. Pamela Westin says:

This was a great tutorial. Thank you very much.

15. Leanna says:

nice to see broomstick lace coming back ‘in style’. it’s been many, many years since last time i did anything in broomstick lace!!

16. LeAnn says:

Can this also be done using a hairpin lace fork?

1. Hi Leann, you could use a hairpin lace fork, but the broomstick lace would be very small. The broomstick or dowel is what creates that hole in the middle of the lace and since a hairpin fork is so small in circumference, the broomstick lace would be very tight.

17. Tommie says:

Thank you, I think I can do this. Beautiful stitch.

18. Linda Stradley says:

OMG!!! SOOO glad I found this! I was taught broomstick lace about 40 years ago as a young bride. It’s been sooo long since I’ve done it, I had forgotten how. Couldn’t even find instruction books on the subject. I am really looking forward to creating with it again!

19. Jennifer says:

I’m not sure how to finish my scarf. One end is a straight edge. Where I started from with chain stitches and the other end is wavy looking as that is what the pattern is but how do I finish so both ends and straight? Or wavy

20. Sonja Birch says:

Oh my goodness this looks so much fun, I have never made this stitch, will be trying this as soon as I can get a dowel, thank you so much for clear instructions.

21. Sonja Birch says: