Discover The Great Watercolor Artists

Watercolor is one of the simplest forms of fine art around– you just need some paints, water, a brush and paper– but it is also one of the hardest to master. If you find yourself in need of watercolor inspiration, here’s a look at some of the true masters of watercolor over the years.

Albrecht Durer

Watercolor has been around since painting began, but didn’t really take off until the Renaissance. The German printmaker Albrecht Durer was an early practitioner, and found the medium ideal for small, detailed studies.

Watercolor Study of a Brown Hare, Albrecht Durer
Albrecht Durer Hare 1502

William Blake

Watercolor remained a minor discipline within the painting world for some time to come, until English printmaker and poet William Blake rediscovered its illustrative power as he used it to hand-color etchings.

Ancient Days Watercolor, William Blake
William Blake The Ancient of Days 1794

J.M.W. Tuner

A slightly younger contemporary of Blake’s, J. M. W. Turner had also discovered watercolor as an ideal medium for plein air painting. Turner’s startlingly atmospheric and expressive paintings of the European countryside and seascapes anticipated the Impressionist movement by over 50 years and turned landscape painting into a vital discipline where it had previously been the domain of amateur naturalists and hobbyists.

Turner: Dolbadarn Castle - Great Watercolor Artists on Craftsy
J. M. W. Turner Dolbadarn Castle 1799
Turner: Venice Looking East from the Guidecca
J. M. W. Turner Venice Looking East from the Guidecca, Sunrise 1819

Thoman Moran

At the same time in the United States, British-born Thomas Moran was painting landscapes of the as-yet little seen Rocky Mountain west. He was even included in one of the first expeditions to what would become Yellowstone National Park. Watercolors were among the many tools of his trade.

Moran: Castle Geyser - Famous Watercolor Artists, www.craftsy.com
Thomas Moran Castle Geyser, Upper Geyser Basin 1871

James McNeill Whistler

Though you might know his work from a famous painting he did of his mother, James McNeill Whistler was another Brit who was quite skilled with watercolors. The extreme portability of the medium made it useful for quick sketches wherever Whistler might find himself. His energetic, abbreviated brush strokes and economical dabs of color are in contrast to the much more somber palette and reserved mark-making in his oil paintings.

flower market watercolor
James McNeill Whistler Flower Market 1885

Winslow Homer

Perhaps the most important watercolorist of the 19th century was Winslow Homer. Homer was a largely self-taught painter who embraced watercolor so thoroughly for his many landscapes, seascapes and scenes of everyday life in 19th century America. Homer’s respect for the possibilities of watercolor encouraged many of his contemporaries to try it as well.

blue boat
Winslow Homer The Blue Boat 1892

John Singer Sargent

John Singer Sargent was born in America but worked primarily in England. He was known primarily for his oil portraiture, but in his numerous travels he documented much of his surroundings with watercolor, painting subjects he never attempted in oils, such as this church in Venice, Italy.

Sargent: Santa Maria Della Salute
John Singer Sargent Santa Maria Della Salute 1904

Paul Kee

At the same time, painting had experienced quite a shift toward abstraction as the 20th century began, and the many movements following Impressionism led to other avenues in which to explore watercolors. Swiss-born Paul Klee’s work ranged from Expressionism to Cubism, and watercolor played a part in his abstract explorations.

Paul Klee: Red and White Domes
Paul Klee Red and White Domes 1914

Georgia O’Keeffe

In the US, Georgia O’Keeffe was using watercolor as a means of exploring the intense colors and light she witnessed after moving to rural New Mexico.

sunrise
Georgia O’Keeffe Sunrise 1916

Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper was interested in the subtler qualities of light, and how they could be useful in depicting the places of the American experience.

adams house
Edward Hopper Adams House 1928

Jamie Wyeth

The American painter Jamie Wyeth often painted with drypoint watercolors, where very little water is used. The successor to father Andrew and grandfather N.C. Wyeth, both admired American painters, Jamie has spent much of his career depicting scenes of rural New England and is still active today.

slayton house, by Jaime Wyeth
Jamie Wyeth Slayton House 1968

Today the contemporary watercolor scene is as vital and active as it has ever been, with many artists from all over the world dedicated to this treasured medium. How will you take part in a shaping this development of watercolor?

Hana - Marmota

The Hare is one of Dürer’s most famous paitings, but he actually did many other wonderful ones with watercolour, so I think it’s a bit of a pity to show The Hare – the picture one’s most likely to run into anyway – out of all his watercolours… including many landscapes!

(Some of these are in combination with gouache.)

This one’s my favourite: very simple, but as such showing very well the variety of techniques and styles Dürer could use:

Well, I think it’s obvious that I love Dürer. :-)

Dianne Werner

What a treat to see these works of art. I am in awe of this talent.

Charles Gross

As a student watercolor wannabee, this type of detail is beyond comprehension and patience. Fantastic

Ellen Miller

Thanks so much for posting all of that glorious art! Do you by any chance know anything about those 2 Court yard painting. I was wondering what a
ctual places are depicted.

Hana - Marmota

“Courtyard of the Former Castle in Innsbruck with Clouds”
Unfortunately, the Web Gallery of Art does not have stable URLs for individual artists’ lists of works, otherwise I’d link directly to that… If you look up Dürer as an artist there, his watercolours are under “Graphics”.

christine cunningham

Very useful information. I love working with watercolors.

helen wilson

Where’s John Piper? i feel he should be added to the list,

Eleanor Roberts

Thank you for sharing. The works are inspirational – I want to set up an easel in my front yard and start.

Marilyn Waite

i always love learning more a out artists, old and new. New ideas a out old master is really enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

Would be interested on your ideas about Chuck Close??

Marilyn

Jean Greenwood

I have spent the last three hours reading all the information on these pages about all the different styles of painting. I am very much a learner, but I try out many of the mediums you have discussed here. It has been a real learning time for me and I have picked up a lot of good advice and help which I shall be able to put to good use. Thank you so much for these columns. I shall be looking at them frequently as I know I can learn a lot from them.

Ellyn Osborne

do you know anything about L Kadlec a watercolor artist painting #53 Red Roofs framed by Oliver Art Studio 41st Sunnyside LI NY in the 60’s? I found it in the attic of a recently purchased home.

Shane

I’m trying to find out who the artist is of a certain watercolour painting. Any suggestion on how to do this? I cannot make out the name of the artist on the painting itself.

jhon012

This is a wonderful collection of paintings.The colors used by u is eye attracting .

Heather A. Vanderweerd

I am also trying to find out the artists name to which I have a beautiful water color painting of wild horses by a Czech painter dated 1974. looks like the first name is Smil?

Heather A. Vanderweerd

Heather A. Vanderweerd

Me

My favs are by Albrecht Durer, William Blake and Thomas Moran. Thanks.

karnisze

Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of info on your site.
Im really impressed by it.
Hello there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg
it and for my part suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be
benefited from this site.

Michelle Rollings

Please correct the spelling errors so that I can share this with my students.

web site

I enjoy, cause I discovered just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt!
God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Joe surfer

You need to add the modern master watercolor artist’s like Tim Wilmot, Joseph Zbukvic, Alvaro Castagnet , Hermen Pekel,. They make the old masters look like armatures in art class 201.

Bill Cavalier

Are you kidding me??? You chose Jamie Wyeth over his father Andrew Wyeth? End of comment before I go nuts…

Andy

Please could you correct the spelling mistake in J.M.W. Turner’s name please.
It’s Turner, not Tuner.