Learn to Knit the Daisy Stitch

Posted by on Apr 28, 2013 in Knitting | Comments

I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, and one reason I always loved crochet was because you could do so many great stitches with it. I loved crochet shells, flowers, bobbles — and I didn’t realize that you could get equally awesome stitches with knitting. The daisy stitch is one such awesome knitting stitch.

daisy stitch

How to Knit the Daisy Stitch

Cast on a multiple of 4 + 1
Rows 1 and 3 (RS): K
Row 2: K1 *p3 tog and don’t drop them off the needle, yo (wrapping yarn completely around needle), p same 3 together again and drop them, k1; rep from *
Row 4: K1, p1, k1 *p3 tog and don’t drop them off the needle, yo (wrapping yarn completely around needle), p same 3 together again and drop them, k1; rep from *, end p1, k1.

Go ahead and cast on 17 stitches and give it a try.

Knit the first row. (Easy enough!) It’s best to knit these a little loosely. You’ll be glad you did when you try and squeeze your needle into three stitches at once on the next row.

first row

Now for Row 2, K1, then purl 3 stitches together.

purl together

Wait! Don’t drop those stitches off the needle yet.

don't drop

Keep the stitches on the left needle. Now do a little yarn over…

keep stitches

…and repeat the purl 3 together once more, just like you did it the first time except this time, drop them from the needle. You’re going to have a whole mess of stitches on the right needle.

knit one

Now knit one, and repeat that purl 3 together sequence over again, all the way across the row.

For Row 3, simply knit across all the stitches. Notice when you’re working Rows 1 and 3 that some of the stitches are in groups of threes. Make sure you knit each one; they tend to stick together and trick you. Check out the left needle below to see what I mean.

row four

Row 4 is very similar to Row 2. Continue to repeat the 4-row pattern and you’ll start to see your daisies come to life!

Patterns That Use the Daisy Stitch

The daisy stitch has a lot of personalities. It can be fun, colorful, classic, and elegant. Its versatility just depends on your yarn choice, color choice, and pattern.

star struck hat
Star Struck HatThis design offers a slight little variation on the daisy stitch knitting tutorial above. If you can knit three together (just the opposite of purling three together), then give this snuggly hat a try.

daisy stitch coat
Daisy Stitch CoatThis coat pattern by Debbie Bliss proves that daisy stitch can be classy and elegant. Plus, you’ll get lots of practice on how to increase and decrease in the daisy stitch pattern!

new girl skirt
New Girl SkirtThis design was inspired by Zooey Deschanel’s New Girl character, Jess, and her high-waisted circle skirts from the show. Designer Allyson used daisy stitch to make the borders on the skirt, plus the border on the pockets.

eilonwyn junior
Eilonwy JuniorYou don’t have to go completely nuts with the daisy stitch in your work. Small doses of daisy can be effective — and sweet. Look closely and you’ll see the daisy stitch wrapping around the yoke and bottom border of this adorable sweater.

balsam jacket
Balsam JacketThis jacket is another great example of daisy stitch in small doses. Just a little hint of daisies around the waist and the sleeve cuffs does the trick.

Don’t know enough about knits and purls to conquer the daisy stitch? Don’t worry! Try Stefanie Japel’s Knit Lab class. Or if you want to try something more complicated, how about Nancy Marchant’s Learn Brioche Knitting class?

Have you ever knitted the daisy stitch? How did you use it in your knitting?

In case you missed it, you might also enjoy learning the Russian knitting technique. Come back to the Craftsy blog on Monday to learn how to knit ribbing.

Comments

1. Robyn says:

Please make me the Daisy stitch coat ;) I would love to make the Eilonwy Junior cardigan for my niece it’s super cute!

2. ANNIE TORRENTO says:

THANK YOU I AM NEW TO KNITTING AND I HOPE I CAN DO IT.

3. Kathleen Traynor says:

a lovely stitch,cant wait to get trying it out today,learn something everyday no matter how old one is , thanks

1. I agree, Kathleen! Glad you like the stitch. Hope you find lots of ways to use it.

4. Btty Weber says:

Pleease email me the patern for the daisy stich

5. Cora van Niekerk says:

I gonna try it. thanks a lot.

6. Jenny says:

Love it – can’t wait to have a go!

7. Pam Ashton says:

Got it!!! I found the photo instructions confusing but the word pattern, easy peasy. Very pretty, now what to use it for!

8. HelenDearn says:

Knitted for years. Pleased to add DAISY STITCH. Very good

9. Sharon Drennan says:

Looks a lovely stitch on the way out to buy the wool to get started on a cardigan

10. gwen cheng says:

Please advise where I can find the Daisy Stitch hand warmer. It doesn’t seem to be posted on Purl Bee’s website, Thank you!

1. I see what you mean! Perhaps it just isn’t working at the moment. I googled the pattern and found a cached Purl Bee page with the pattern on it. See if that works for you.

11. Donna Banta says:

Love the daisy stitch!!

12. Bróna Uí Loing says:

will try daisy stitch later am not a great knitter but I love the stitch

13. Bróna Uí Loing says:

will try later

14. Roberta Bracho Vargas says:

Me encanta todo lo que muestras, pero tengo un problema grave no se ingles, pero con las fotografias, me guio un poco, por ejemplo la puntada Knit Daisy Stitch se me difulta un poco. Bueno de todos modos todo es precioso, muchas gracias.

15. Pam Mellone says:

I think I will have to start a scarf and try this out. Looks cute.

16. Love this stitch. do you have a pattern for a scarf, or would you just recommend i make one duplicating the stitch as outlined above?
    thanks
    josie

17. lolly nccue says:

I am an experienced kntter but it took me 2 or 3 days to master it!! The first 2 rows are the most difficult,but then it gets easier..just be sure to knit the second and fourth rows VERY loose to enable you to get the needle in thru the 3 stitches on the purls. Don’t give up like I almost did.After the first 2-3 rows it all seems to come together VIOLA!!

18. lolly nccue says:

Also, I believe the Gina varigated yarn called for in the pattern I am making is not the best yarn to use as it is unspun,and the varigations tend to make it harder to keep the stitxhes straight and uniform. A regular ply yarn such as a worsted would be easier to use,where the texture would be uniform.