How to Make Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Posted by on Apr 13, 2013 in Cake Decorating | Comments

Swiss Meringue Buttercream can be very intimidating; cooking egg whites and double boilers can be time consuming and frustrating. But don’t fret, I have a solution for you!

Here is a recipe for a no-cook Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It is made a little differently than real Swiss Meringue Buttercream but it tastes great, holds up well and unless you are serving it to French pastry chefs, you will have very happy customers! Though for an in-depth tutorial on how to make real Swiss Meringue Buttercream check out Joshua John Russell’s Craftsy class Modern Buttercream.

Ingredients

Before jumping into the recipe, did you notice that lemon juice snuck into the picture above?

This is because of a great tip I learned that has saved me lots of frustration. You might already know that grease and egg whites don’t mix; if you get even a small amount of grease in your egg whites they will not whip up correctly and your buttercream may fall apart. The solution: lemon juice! Pour about ¼ cup of lemon juice onto a paper towel and wipe the inside of the bowl, the spatula and the beater with lemon juice. The flavor of the lemon juice does not change the flavor of the buttercream. The lemon juice cuts the grease and you are ready to begin, knowing you have lessened your stress level a little.

Note: You might have noticed that I use salted butter: this wasn’t an accident. I know many pastry chefs like to control the amount of salt in their recipe, or not add it at all, but I have found that the addition of salted butter helps enhance the flavor and my clients love it! So give it a try and see what you think.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream (No Cook Recipe)
20 oz. Powdered Sugar
4 oz. pasteurized egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
2 lbs. butter (the real stuff)

Powdered Sugar

Mix powdered sugar, egg white and vanilla in your bowl until combined.

Once combined, turn up to high and beat for 8 minutes.

Mixture

Your mixture will get a little thicker, but will not turn into a fluffy meringue. This is okay!

Buttercream

After 8 minutes it is slightly more white, but not thick and fluffy.

Scrape the sides, then turn back on to the slowest setting.

Mix Buttercream

Add the butter by breaking the it into small chunks and slowly adding it piece by piece to the mixture. The consistency will get clumpy and funny looking, but just keep going.

Once all of the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer back on high and beat for another 8 minutes.

Buttercream Recipe

You now have delicious Swiss Meringue Buttercream! This buttercream holds up well in warm conditions and is soft and smooth. It can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks and you can add colors or flavorings to make a delicious work of art!

In case you missed it learn how to color modeling chocolate and come back to the Craftsy blog tomorrow to see sculpted dog cakes.

Comments

1. claudia.dinardo.54@facebook.com says:

Are pasteurized egg whites dried powdered egg whites?

1. Wendy says:

Pasturized egg whites are liquid egg whites and can be found near the eggs in your local grocery store. If you use fresh egg whites you will need to use the traditional method of making Swiss Meringue buttercream.

2. Terry says:

No, they come like egg beaters.

2. Roxanne says:

I looked pasteurized egg whites up on the Internet and it looks like they are a packaged liquid (in a carton) egg product. The one site I looked at was for organic foods so I will probably look in our grocery store’s organic/health food section. If they are not available there, you can check at a local food service company (ours sells to individuals as well as restaurants and stores) or order them online (http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/eggs/organiceggwhites/ is one place).

3. Jenn says:

does this have the grit texture of regular buttercream? I make the cook method, it’s a long process, but my customers don’t like the “grit” texture of regular buttercream with the “raw” powder sugar.

4. Melinda says:

Could you use meringue powder in this thanks

5. patricia bundy says:

Do u have to use a paddle when whipping the whites and sugar or can u use the whip attachment?

6. Julianita says:

Good question Claudia. Looks like it could be liquid egg whites, it is hiding behind the butter.

Can meringue powder be substitued for the egg whites, if the pasturized egg whites are not on hand?

Also, how many cups does this make?

7. Maritza Cortes says:

The pasteurized eggs whites, are the ones they sell at the supermarkets by the pint or half gallon???? Or I can use regular egg whites and what amount? Thanks

8. T Harrison says:

Please could you advise whether the egg measurement is weighed on a scale, or measured as a fluid ounce in a jug. Thanks

1. Wendy says:

4 ounces of liquid egg whites is the same as a 1/2 cup.
      I use only the paddle attachment.
      Pasteurized egg whites are also known as Egg Beaters or All Whites and can usually be found in the same section as the eggs in the grocery store. They are a liquid, and come in either pint or quart containers.
      The recipe makes enough to fill and cover an 8″ round cake, but I am not sure how many cups that is.
      I have not tried substituting powdered egg whites or meringue powder for liquid egg whites in this recipe, so I can not advise you on that.
      I hope I have answered all of your questions.
      Thank you for all of the questions! Let me know if I can help!

9. CakeDreams says:

*Claudia*Pastuerized egg whites are liquid.*
    I like this recipe. Cant wait to try it!

10. Lisa Palmese says:

very Nice Alternative Thank You
    Lisa

11. KAT'SMOMBETH says:

You can also purchase pasteurized eggs at many grocery stores. These are safer for merengue and can be used for general baking/cooking as well.

12. grammy1963 says:

I amxious to try this.. I feel like I am killing people with shortning buttercream. Of course, is butter really that healthier???

13. Lia Domingues says:

Really interesting…
    But I live in Brazil and the measures is kind of tricky.
    Is it possible to translate into kg, pretty please? :-)
    (if not, I understand…)

14. Lynn says:

can you make this so that it is white rather than yellow?

15. Lori says:

This is a great recipe if you love swiss meringue. It came out smooth and creamy, I have made this twice and used unsalted butter the first time with terrific results. The second time I started using salted butter as is suggested in the recipe. After adding about 3 sticks I tasted it and it was WAY too salty. I used unsalted for the rest of the recipe and I think it was still on the salty side but my husband said it tasted good and wasn’t too sweet. I know salt can cut the sweetness and enhance flavors but I would not recommend using all salted. Otherwise great recipe!

16. Selina says:

Light, fluffy, not too sweet…DELICIOUS!!! My new go to buttercream recipe!

17. Selina says:

I just added delphinium blue gel to the buttercream and now it’s grey! I tried golden yellow – orange! What am I doing wrong?! Please help!

18. Dave says:

I think it ought to be stated this recipe should be consumed within a few hours of coming out of the fridge—not left out all day on a decorated cupcake.

I’m not someone who’s afraid of raw eggs. I eat them all the time in pastries, vinaigrettes, liaisons for soups and sauces … but pasteurized or not, they’re still raw eggs, and they’re not “shelf stable.” The process of whipping (which makes the meringue fluffy) makes them even more dangerous because it incorporates air, which bacteria need to reproduce. These two reasons are why meringues are traditionally cooked.

When you cook the meringue, you’re not only “re-pasteurizing” it—which destroys any bacteria it’s picked up during preparation—you’re also changing the protein structure and moisture content of the eggs, which makes them less appealing to new bacteria. This is why Italian meringues can sit out all day at room temperature, and French meringues (those crispy dehydrated cookie-things) can last for weeks.

I’m not saying don’t use this recipe; I’m sure it’s wonderful. I’m just saying consume it promptly, or store your decorated cupcakes in the fridge—not on the counter or in a non-refrigerated display case.

19. Megan says:

Do you think it would turn out alright if I added more powdered sugar to make it a bit sweeter? If so would i also add more egg whites? Or only powdered sugar? Just want to make it a bit less buttery, not by much though. Oh and also a tad bit whiter. Thanks!

20. Will adding white chocolate change the sustainability?