Learn the Frog Tape Trick for Half-Square Triangles

Posted by on Apr 18, 2013 in Quilting | Comments

Craftsy instructor and expert quilter, Camille Roskelley, has some great tips and tricks for saving time and putting you on your way to quilting success. With her new Craftsy class Pre-Cut Piecing Made Simple even beginners will be using half-square triangles to create an unlimited number of patterns in no time. Here, she shows you how to make quick and easy half-square triangles.

Hello, I’m Camille Roskelley and I’m a quilting instructor at Craftsy. Today I’m going to show you a little tip about how to use frog tape to make half-square triangles. All you need is a role of frog tape, a table for your sewing machine, an actual sewing machine, and half-square triangles that are smaller than your quilting table.

So I’m going to rip off a little piece of frog tape, and line it up with the foot. (This is a quarter inch foot.) Line it up just right, with the edge there. Put your half-square triangle squares right sides together. Then align the point of your half-square triangles with the point at the bottom, with that frog tape. And then just follow the edge of the frog tape all the way up. So start here and go all the way up.

Trim your thread, and then we’re going to come back down, doing the exact same thing on the other side. And you’ve made two half-square triangles without a pencil or drawing any lines. All you’ll have to do is trim them apart and press them; and you’ll have two perfect half-square triangles. If you enjoyed this tip, you might enjoy my class Pre-Cut Piecing Made Simple over at Craftsy. I’ll see you there!

In case you missed it learn more about Camille here, and discover how to trim perfect half-square triangles. Then come back to the Craftsy blog tomorrow for a beautiful free quilting pattern and an exploration of string quilts!

Comments

1. Southern Gal says:

I was so excited to see you on Craftsy! Yours may be the first class I sign up for! Thanks for the tip.

2. Barbara says:

Thanks for that tip – I love Craftsy classes! They have taught me everything I need to know about making a quilt. So nice not to have to go out of your home for a class and being able to go back over and over again for a certain part of the project. I love the instructors as well, they make me smile and always make me realize that I can do it. I have bought many classes and have not been disappointed with any of them. I know I will be buying more as I feel the need for them. I taught myself to crochet and knit, and have been doing them for many years. Now I am learning from crafsy how to quilt and I couldn’t be happier about it. Sincerely, Barb

3. Rosalee says:

Wow, what a great tip for HST’s!! Thank you! Craftsy classes and instructors are the very best!!

4. Kiry says:

That is a fabulous idea! Where were you last year when I made a quilt with hundreds of half-square triangles? My husband was looking over my shoulder as I watched, and commented that this idea had a lot of good applications outside of sewing. Thanks Camille and Craftsy!

5. Sorry to be picky, but if I were a beginner I would be confused by you referring to the squares of fabric in the text as half square triangles. To me that sounds like the fabric you are sewing is actually cut into a triangle shape but maybe it’s just the terminology. I knew what you meant and appreciate the technique.

6. Tammy says:

I had seen this yr.s ago but forgot about it. Thanks 4 sharing again.

7. Jane says:

Hi – and thanks for the tip!! I believe this is what I need. Now, I will use just regular masking tape (it’s my move to use what I have). So, I should not have any issues except maybe a sticky bed? I think this will have to be tried in the next two hours or so!! Blessings!!

8. pinkishcamellia says:

I was prepared to be skeptical, but this beats marking lines!

9. Della says:

Was thinking of doing a quilt using all half square triangles and what a tip! Will try it and get out those scraps that I wanted to sew up! Thanks for wonderfully tip!

10. Chaz says:

What is Frog Tape?

11. Njore says:

I’ve never heard of frog tape-what is it?

12. Tina says:

Frog tape…it’s just a brand name of painter’s tape. (Like “Band-Aids” or “Kleenex” or “Jell-o”)
    http://frogtape.com/index.php/. Plain blue will do the job :)

13. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after going through some of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back often!|