Domino Knitting: Knitting Your Project One Block at a Time

Posted by on Apr 4, 2013 in Knitting | Comments

Do you have a bunch of yarn left over from another project? Maybe you’re stuck with a bunch of small bits left over and you can’t think what to do with them. Try domino knitting!

Domino Knitting

Domino knitting is exactly what it sounds like: one block of knitting leading to the next and the next and the next. The blocks can be as big or as small as you want them to be and no two blocks need to be the same size. A domino knitting project can become anything you want it to be.

When domino knitting, you start with one block, whether it be a square, rectangle, or diamond shape. Then the next block, knitted with a different color, is begun by picking up one edge of that first block. If you want the second block to be a different size, you would either cast on additional stitches as you knit the first row in the new color or you might only pick up half the block. Each new block picks up from a previous one, leaving you with a look much like a block quilt but without sewing together any of the pieces.

Eventually, you will have to join a new block to more than one existing block. To do that, I like to pick up the longer edge, say it’s the horizontal edge. Then when I get to the corner where there’s a vertical edge from an existing block, I would knit the edge stitches from that block together with the first stitch of my new block to join the blocks without needing a seam.

Domino knitting can be free form, where you just knit where the mood (and your yarn stash) takes you. Or it can be very patterned and specific with blocks of all the same size and creating an overall pattern.

Domino knitting isn’t just an opportunity to use up your stash yarn or play with color. It’s also an opportunity to play with textures. I once found a pattern for a six-sided baby block where each of the six sides was a different stitch: garter, a rib, a basket weave, etc. One of these days, I want to take the idea for those blocks and create a domino baby blanket made of uniform-size blocks with each block having a different pattern.

Even if you’re trying to do a free form domino knitting project, it’s always a good idea to have in mind what size and shape project you’re aiming for. At some point, if you’re making a scarf or a blanket, you’re going to want to end up with square edges and opposite sides that are the same size. Luckily, graph paper can help. Maybe you want to free-form for a little bit and then plot out the rest of your course on graph paper as you get closer to the end. Or you can plot out your blocks before you start.

A domino knitting project can be as big or as small as you want and can go at whatever pace you’d like. But be forewarned: picking up one more block and thinking about where to add the next one can get addictive. You might find it harder to stop a domino knitting project than to start it.

Join us here at the Craftsy blog tomorrow for a great roundup of free knitting patterns to celebrate Free Pattern Friday!

Comments

1. Ellisen says:

Thanks for the info. I’ve always wanted to try Domino knitting. Now perhaps I will!

2. Mary goggins Stakemeier says:

I had never heard of domino knitting or putting squares of knitting together without a seam. I am delighted to see this and will try a baby blanket with my left over yarn. Thanks you for sharing this.

3. Susan says:

Intriguing! Can you use different weights of yarn or should they all be the same?

4. margaret lynne says:

What a great idea – am going to try that today to try and get rid of my ‘stash’

5. Barb Chinnici Will says:

Thanks for the idea. My college bound senior needs that obligatory extra blanket and I had no idea what pattern or idea. This is perfect and I have enough stash.

6. Linda says:

Would you share the pattern used in the pieces above?

7. andrea says:

where do i find the pattern for the above pictures i know how to make dia diminos but how do u do the above they look like towels

1. Joyce says:

I think it is just knit evert row. garter stitch.
      Not real sure but I think so.

8. Cyndi DeWitt says:

I’m a bit confused.(As usual!) What is the difference between domino knitting and entrelac? This looks like just what I need, now that I’ve been knitting a few years,and have 2 tubs worth of “extras”!

9. Helen Silverstein says:

I love this idea. Do you leave live stitches if you want to go to a more narrow block next and then pick those up later with a new color?

10. Jacqueline Reichman says:

I am lost when you write this:

Could you explain this to me?
    Thanks!!

11. lindsay simpson says:

Like Jacqueline (14th April) I am also confused with this paragraph and would appreciate an explanation. Would love to do this project.
    Thanks x

12. vps says:

Want to rank your blog in google? http://goo.gl/shDWH

13. Jeannette says:

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too.
    This type of clever work and exposure! Keep up the
    very good works guys I’ve included you guys to my personal blogroll.