Curved Piecing Tutorial

Posted by on Apr 21, 2013 in Quilting | Comments

I’ve been working on quilting my Pickledish quilt lately, and I’ve been enjoying it so much! Curved piecing and quilting circles are skills that many sewists shy away from because they are intimidated, but that is unnecessary! With proper pinning and a bit of patience, sewing curves can be simple.

Quilt Created with Curved Piecing, Hanging on Wall

Here is a quick tutorial on how I like to pin and sew curves.

1. First, mark the center of both pieces of fabric by folding them in half and finger pressing the fold.

2. Lay the pieces right sides together with marked centerfolds lined up together. Pin centers together.

3. Pin one side together, raw edges aligned.

4. Pin the other side together in the same manner.

Fabric Pieces Being Sewn Together in Curved Piecing

5. Working between one of the outer edges and center pin, ease the fabric into the curve, making them lay flat together. Use as many pins as you’d like to hold the fabrics tightly together. Repeat for other side.

6. Sew the pieces together slowly, backstitching at the beginning and end. Follow the curved edge and slowly pull out the needles as you approach them.

Curved Pieces with Pins, Ready to Sew

Though some quilters do not like to pin their pieces for curves and have great success without them, I prefer to use them because they provide comfort and accuracy.

If you are looking for a quilt pattern with some great curves, check out the Retro Flowers or the Mod Pop quilt patterns.

Learn how to tackle curved elements with confidence in the course Inset & Appliqué Circles by Machine with Cheryl Arkison, and also be sure to take a look a Playing with Curves, taught by award-winning quilter and instructor Ann Petersen.

You might also enjoy this stitch and flip tutorial. Come back to the Craftsy blog on Tuesday for a fun take on quilting feathers.

Comments

1. Linda Walsh says:

Love the post and tutorial. I do think a lot of sewers and quilters shy away from circles. They can be intimidating.

2. Estou adorando as dicas que vcs nos dão.
    Muito obrigada!
    Bjks
    Jussara

3. Deborah Hofeldt says:

I made The Delight in Red Delicious quilt that adorned the cover of one of my many quilt magazines published a few years ago. It was difficult at first but after doing a few of the curved apple skins it became like i was an old pro. Practice, Practice, Practice.

4. Vanessa says:

Thanks for the tutorial on curved seams. I am glad to know I’ve been doing it the right way, except you guys use way fewer pins. I’ll have to work on that!

5. lyn crain says:

I’ve been hesitant about trying curves pieces because they look more challenging to do. I’m a beginner quilter matching all my points is difficult enough on a good day. However, after reading the tutorial it doesn’t sound as difficult to do, the pictures really help. I’m going to give it a try. Thanks!

6. Leny Ribeiro Pereira says:

Muito interessante a forma de fazer este trabalho ,estou muito animada em fazelo

7. Is there a tutorial on how to connect the “football shapes” (explained in this post) to the center piece of the double wedding ring circle? I’m at that point in assembling my first double wedding ring quilt and I’m having a lot of trouble getting those tight, pointy connecting points to lie flat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)