Get to Know Your Sewing Machine Feet

Posted by on Feb 22, 2013 in Sewing | Comments

Standard Presser Foot

Did you know that the presser feet that came with your sewing machine are just the tip of the iceberg? Depending on your machine, you might have a dozen (or more!) specialty foot options to add to your sewing kit. Presser feet aren’t standard across machines, so be sure to purchase the correct brand and model for yours or it won’t work properly. You can find additional presser feet online, but you might want to check with the sewing machine dealers in your area, too- especially if you would prefer not to wait for the mail person.

The right presser foot can make all the difference when you’re working on a project. Although your standard presser foot can theoretically sew anything, I’ve found specialty feet help me get those little details (the ones that take it from “craft project” to “high-quality garment”) just right. Plus, it’s so easy to swap out feet while you’re sewing that there’s no real reason not to.

One of my favorite specialty presser feet is the blind hem foot. I love the look of a blind hem, especially on a dress. Although it’s possible to do a blind hem on many machines without the specialty foot, maintaining the proper distance between the needle and hem is critical to getting it just right. This foot makes it much less of a headache.

I also like the concealed (also known as invisible) zipper foot. Garments look so much better with a concealed zipper, especially if you need one on a side seam. As a bonus, I have found concealed zippers are actually easier to install than regular zippers because I can actually see the zipper teeth as I’m sewing. This takes a lot of the guesswork out of zipper installation and I’m typically more pleased with the final result.

Hemmer FootAnother favorite is the hemmer foot, which makes getting a rolled hem super easy. A rolled hem is a nice finish for lightweight fabrics like chiffon and silk, but I find them very slippery when using only the standard foot. The curl on the front of the hemmer foot rolls the fabric for you as you sew, which eliminates the need to pin and press a tiny hem and gives a much straighter result.

Don’t be afraid to play around with your specialty feet. You might find one works in a way you didn’t expect. For example, I’ve found the zipper foot works for more than just zippers. You can also use it any time you need to sew closely to something that does not fit nicely under your standard presser foot.

I have yet to explore all of the specialty feet available for my machine. I’d love to try a tape binding foot next as I have not been satisfied with my results in the past when I’ve added bias tape to projects. I’m hoping I’ll have an easier time if I use a different foot.

If you too, are interested in trying some new feet, check out Sewing Machine Feet from A to Z with Steffanie Lincecum to learn 11 of the most common sewing machine feet to save yourself time and extra effort!

And let me know, do you have a favorite presser foot? Have you picked up any tricks for using one in a different way?

And come on back to the Craftsy blog next Friday for a great hat sewing tutorial for creating a mini beret fascinator!

Comments

1. Lynn Gaston says:

I am interested in your site. I wanted to try the free class on machine feet. I know all my computer settings seem to be ok but I could not get any sound. Any suggestions as what could be wrong. Do I need to try downloading it again? Thanks and I hope I get this working.

1. Mindy Holmes says:

I know this sounds stupid …but do you have the sound adjusted on your computer ? I have had that problem before …and I found out it was turned off ….kids sneaking on the computer when they should be sleep.

2. Lois Mclaughlin says:

I have a 301 Slant needle delux bought in 1958 (works great) I need a 1/4 ” pressure foot..A standard on came on it…I bought a singer one but it doesn’t fit it I guess it has to be the slant needle one.. Where can I by one????

1. Marian says:

I would try and google the machine and usually there are sites that you can find to order

3. lee says:

I just got the free motion foot, and am loving it,

4. Jan says:

I teach a beginners sewing class and as part of the class I always try to use as many different feet as I can. I think a lot of people either are intimidated or just get stuck in a rut using the same feet over and over again. With a lot of todays machines having snap on feet it is no longer like the old days when changing the feet usually involved a screw driver. I think also the popularity of quilting has done a lot to encourage the use of different feet. Todays quilters don’t have any problem switching between a 1/4″ foot, walking foot, applique foot and ditch stitch foot so when they use their machines for things other than quilting they are quite used to switching to what ever foot does the best job.

5. Lois says:

I am still sewing on the Singer I bought when I was a senior in high school (1969)! It doesn’t always get over thicker things I like to make (purses) so I use the zipper foot instead…no more snapped in half needles!

1. Annie says:

1969 Singer…zipper foot over thick fabric…brilliant…thank you!

6. Beverlyjane says:

I like the zipper foot to help me SEE where I am related to the edges of the fabric or pleat, etc.

7. rini rivki says:

I ‘ve very glad to read your site . Please give your commend about my machine. Brand is ‘Yamata’ Is my yamata could using for quilting sewing

8. Cornelia Wallace says:

Really like to learn more more about quilting

9. Drina Theos says:

I have a futura 920. I removed one snap on presser foot , but I can not put another one on HELP