Make Perfect Pinless Points with Ease

Posted by on Feb 12, 2013 in Quilting, Sewing | Comments

Kimberly Einmo is both a Pfaff Sewing Star and a member of Bernina Sewing Professionals of America. She’s also a Craftsy instructor, teaching the exciting Chain Stars of Mystery Quilt class. She can help anyone create a gorgeous quilt with a surprising and dynamic secondary design, so be sure to sign up. And then join along and learn how to make perfect points without pins in this free video tip.

Hi, I’m Kimberly Einmo. I’m an online instructor for Craftsy.com and I’d like to share with you one of my favorite techniques for perfect pinless points. It’s quick and easy!

So whenever you have a block that you’re assembling that is a basic four patch, no matter what the patches are made up of, there’s a quick and easy way to put them together without the use of pins and you’ll get a perfect point in the center. Let me show you how I do it.

Lay out your four patches. Take the top right patch to you and fold it right sides together and then fold the other one on the right side over on top of the left patch. Pick these patches up and carry them to your sewing machine being careful not to rotate them. Now you’re just going to line up the raw edges, stitch them together using that perfect quarter inch seam allowance. And as you’re stitching be careful not to break the chain between the two units. Keep sewing making sure to keep your raw edges even, holding the ends together with your fingers.

Now, take the units back over to the ironing board making sure not to break the chain between them. Take the unit on the left, fold it away from your body, then give both seams a good press with some steam or a really hot iron to set the seam. Now you’re going to want to open the unit on the right  and press the seam so that it’s going away from your body. And the unit on the left, you’re going to want to press the seam so it’s towards your body. That’s key. That’s the key point here to getting this perfect point without a pin. Now you’re ready to fold the unit right sides together, lining up the intersection right at the middle and we’re going to sew this.

The reason that this works is because we’ve pressed the seams in such a way that the seam that is on top is facing toward the presser foot so as the presser foot moves along the feed dogs and the presser foot works together to smash that together it makes those opposing seams snuggle up and you get that perfect point. So, just line it up, make sure those little seams in the intersection are opposing. Hold it with your left index finger and make sure that that seam doesn’t get flipped back towards you as it’s going under your presser foot. Then keep going all the way to the end. And that’s it; you’ll have a perfect point in the center every time. There you go! A perfect point whenever you’re assembling a four patch without the use of pins.

So if you enjoyed this quick tip I hope you will join me online for my Chain of Stars Mystery Quilt and Magical Jelly Roll Quilts on Craftsy.com. See you there!

And come on back to join Kimberly on the Craftsy blog next Tuesday for another great four patch tip!

Comments

1. Janice Rose says:

Now this makes total sense!

2. Rosalee says:

Great tip, thanks “sew” much!

3. Debbie Weishaar says:

Thanks for the tip. I really like the idea of using no pins and chaining them together. I’m going to try it out when I put my next blks together. Can’t wait to see a perfect point in the center!

4. Doris says:

I need some advise…I have a black jacket that is qulted (mum never wore it) I would like to quilt it with my fav fabrics. Where do I start?

I have sewn before but never quilted although this is something I would love to do and I have many fabrics that I have collected over the past years.

Not sure if this is where I am suppouse to post but any assistance is much appreceiated.

5. Diane says:

That’s just so brilliant! Totally – thank you for making it so simple to understand as well…

6. Kathy Gremo says:

Great explanation Great tip. I can’t wait to try it.

7. lorraine hitchens says:

Having watched this I am now a convert from hand (time consuming and not great on the hands) to machine, its so easy don’t know why I have resisted for so long.
    Thank you so much.
    Lorraine

8. joan says:

Love your website

9. Stella hoog says:

I ordered something from this web site and i cannot open my yahoo e-mail. Can you verfie, please!

1. Support says:

Hello!

We’re sorry you’re having trouble with your yahoo account. Can you send our support team a message at help@craftsy.com and they will be happy to double check your order and provide you with any details you’d like!

10. Martha says:

Loved the tutorial, but please lose the jazz. Makes it hard to concentrate when your are learning something new.

11. Phyllis green says:

Is there any charge to belong to this blog?

12. Megan says:

Hi Phyllis! There is no charge to belong to this blog.

13. Judi says:

I cannot get the video to run without it constantly stopping.

1. Support says:

Hi Judi,

We’re sorry you’re having trouble with your video. Can you send an email to our support team at help@craftsy.com? They’ll be able to help you further and get you back to watching your classes smoothly!

14. Scheri Manson says:

Fabulous Kimberly. I hope you have plans for another class on Crattsy.com very soon. :-D

15. Corlia du Preez says:

“Sew quick! Sew Accurate!” Thank You!

16. Mary Casey says:

I am a seasoned quilter, made many quilts and won lots of Blue ribbons and don’t need basic info………but to promote the art of quilting, which I always do, you are doing a fantastic service by teaching and encouraging new quilters. I really enjoy this program……Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!

17. Susan says:

When you take the top patch to you and fold it right sides together, and you take the other right patch and fold it over the other left patch. What do you do with the first right patch that you folded right sides together? That does not make sense to fold the first patch right sides together! Geez!

1. Ruth Widdowson says:

I think you need to watch the video carefully, whilst checking through the written text and co-relate the two. It is much easier watching video, sometimes text is not as clear as could be, although I found this entry very clear, don’t listen, just read text to match each move. I have a question though, why do you have to not separate the two patches?

18. Linda Baker says:

After folding the right sides together, you then piece them using chain piecing method. I sometimes have to watch a method over and over to get it right.