Wall Hanging Quilts: Learn to Hang Your Quilts
Quilters spend a lot of time and energy creating the perfect wall hanging quilts. So why stab it with a bunch of thumbtacks? Treat your hard work kindly by hanging it the correct way. It will look better, and not sustain damage! In this free video tip, Beth Ferrier, instructor of the online quilting classes Machine-Finished Hand Appliqué and Oh My Stars! Six Pieced Blocks, shows you how!
How to hang a wall quilt
Hi, I’m Beth Ferrier, a quilting instructor on Craftsy.com. One of the things that we struggle with sometimes when we finish our wall hanging quilts is how are we going to hang them? Sometimes we resort to thumbtacks through the quilt into the wall—not the best way to hang our quilts.
So instead, I use this quick easy little way to not only get my quilt on the wall, but to have it hang straight and beautiful. So this is a little sample left over from my Machine-Finished Hand Appliqué class and I want to put my wonderful little pocket wall hanging system on it.
1. So the first thing I need to do is decide which end is up. Once I’ve done that I will start with 4-inch squares of fabric. And if I have leftovers I match the fabric; if not, I use whatever falls under my hands.
2. The 4-inch squares are then pressed into triangles and we will align those triangles on the two upper corners so that our bouquet will hang right-side up.
3. And then these are machine basted in place and then our binding is added to the quilt.
4. Once we’ve got that done then its a simple matter of using an X-Acto knife to score a yardstick to the proper length. Apply Command Velcro Wall Hanging Strips to the ruler and then slip that ruler right into the pocket, just so.
5. From here all we have to do is flip it over and use the Command Strip to stick it to the wall.
Enjoy more expert instruction from Beth by joining one of her highly rated Craftsy classes today!
In Machine-Finished Hand Appliqué, Beth shows you how to achieve heirloom-quality results — quickly — using your home machine and invisible thread.
And in Oh My Stars! Six Pieced Blocks, you’ll create six shining star blocks while mastering dozens of techniques for improving your piecing and efficiency.
What makes online Craftsy classes great?
Learn for life! With lifetime access to your classes, you can watch lessons at your preferred pace and easily revisit your favorite concepts with just a click.
Kick up your feet! Enjoy classes anytime from the convenience of your home or even on-the-go with our mobile apps.
Get personalized guidance! Ask your instructor questions to receive all the answers and feedback you need to succeed.
Love it! There’s no risk in trying with our 100% money back guarantee.