Free Video Tip: How To Sew Perfect Corners

Sloppy corners, floppy corners, dog-eared corners…turning corners can be one of the toughest things for a home garment sewist to do! But Linda Lee has an excellent technique for making clean, perfect corners that are well-supported. She shares it in this free video tip below. View it below and then sign up for her online Craftsy class, Sewing with Silks!

Video transcript:

Hi, I’m Linda Lee, and I’m a sewing instructor with Craftsy.com. Turning corners can really be a problem sometimes. So I had a great tip for you for getting the perfect corner.

You can see on my little sample that I’ve already sewn the two adjacent seams. And I’ve even pre-trimmed one seam. So I’ll trim the other seam in the same way, leaving about three-eights of an inch. You don’t want to trim it too close. And you don’t want to trim across the corner. Leave that corner intact.

Now I’m going to press both seam allowances one direction. And just press for about an inch at the corner. The other seam allowance, both layers, gets pressed in the same direction and gets stacked on the other seam allowance. So now all I have to do is hold that corner seam allowance with my thumb and turn it, give it a little finger roll, and there’s your perfect corner. Let’s give it a little bit of a nudge with our point turner. Then give it a little press. There you go: a perfect corner!

The reason I leave the extra seam allowance in the corner is for support, and it eliminates the corner for being dog-eared. For more great sewing tips, check out my class, Sewing with Silks, on Craftsy.com.

Teri

Interesting tidbit! Do you do the same for other materials or is that basics for sewing with silks? I’ve been trimming my corners forever so this was an eye opener for me. Thanks for the info!

Fardawsa

Thanks for the useful info! I hope more of your classes are for free!!!

Judy Danz

Wow! Love it! I am going to give that a whirl on my next project as I do have dog-eared corners. Thank you for the great lesson.

Linda

I learned this about a year ago and it works for everything. Takes out the frustration of turning a nice corner.

Barbara C.

OMG! Genius!!! I’ve never been able to get a clean, crisp corner. Love this tip!!!

Leslie

That is a terrific tip! Thank you so much for sharing it. In all my years of sewing, I’ve never heard that and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Sharon

wow! Thank you. I have been sewing for many years and have always had trouble with corners. I kept trimming more and ofter poked a hole at corner and had to redo. This is great

Sheri

I have been turning my corners like that for awhile. And here I thought I was being lazy… I don’t like trimming my fabric very much. I’m afraid of taking too much off and making it weak.

Thank; you for confirmation!

test

Im no pro, but I imagine you just made an excellent point. You certainly know what youre talking about, and I can truly get behind that. Thanks for being so upfront and so sincere.