Donate Homemade Clothing to Help Homeless Children

Posted by on Nov 9, 2012 in Crocheting, Knitting, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

Help Craftsy Keep Out the Cold

With daylight savings time in full swing, we know winter is almost upon us. To many of us this means a time to get cozy by the fire with a cup of tea and the newest Craftsy class. According to a study published by the Urban Institute, this is not the case for “approximately 1% of the U.S. population experiencing homelessness each year, with 38% (October) to 39% (February) of them being children.” In an effort to lend a helping hand, Craftsy Cares has partnered with the National Coalition for the Homeless to challenge the Craftsy community to “Keep Out the Cold.” We are calling out to the Craftsy community and friends for help in reaching our goal of 10,000 children’s winter items to Keep Out the Cold. We will be collecting any homemade or new warming items: hats, scarves, mittens, booties,  and blankets. Every item will help keep a child warm this winter!

If you are looking for inspiration, Craftsy designers Linda Permann and Stefanie Japel have each donated a FREE original pattern, the Little Sister Hat and Mazie’s Mittens. There are also many winter item patterns in the Craftsy Pattern library to spark your creativity and get you started.

We will be collecting all items in our office and distributing them to National Coalition of the Homeless chapters across the United States. When you have finished your garment, be sure to download the FREE made with love gift tag and write a note to the recipient. Then take a picture of your finished item, upload it to the Craftsy Cares project page, and mail it off to us at:

Keep Out the Cold
Craftsy Cares
2150 West 29th Ave 4th Floor
Denver, C0 80211

If you are interested in others ways of giving to the National Coalition of the Homeless click here to learn how else you can help and donate.

Make it, Tag it, Give it!

The Craftsy Cares Team

Comments

1. kokoriffic says:

What a wonderful idea. I’d like to participate and I’m wondering about the timeframe. Is there a date by which you will need to have received the items? Or is this effort continuing beyond the week of Nov 10-18?

1. Support says:

Hi,
      Thanks for your interest in helping out! We will be collecting the items until early January!

2. Paige says:

What a great project! While I don’t do much needlework, I’ll be sure to tell my friend Lori (who does) about it.

Thanks for your efforts to help out those that are in need – the world needs more people like you!

3. Sian says:

Can you tell me, are there similar projects in the UK?

1. Support says:

This is a great question for the Craftsy community. Does anybody have any insight about Care projects in the UK?

4. I’ll start looking through my fabric stash and see what I can come up with :-)

5. Jess says:

I love to sew and craft but there is only so much that i can make for my family. Thank you so much for do this sort of thing, it gives me a reason to sew!!

6. Sherry says:

I like this idea and have been donating knitted articles to my local food bank for the last decade, including baby booties. Since I live in Canada, I donate locally. I wonder why it needs to be sent to a central location and not dropped off to a local shelter or food bank? We all have them, unfortunately.

7. Peggy says:

Love this idea and would love to help, especially since Hurricane Sandy has left so many in NJ and NY without homes and belongings. Are there any requirements for the type of yarn to be used when knitting projects?

1. Support says:

Hi Peggy,
      Thank you for your interest! There are no specific requirements for yarn, anything you have that will create a warm project will work just fine!

8. Tina says:

How wonderful and I’m glad this is going on until January!

9. Tabetha says:

Where is the Craftsy Cares project page? I am having a hard time finding where to upload pictures of finished items to.

1. Support says:

Hi Tabetha,
      We’re excited to see your project! To link your project to Craftsy Cares, when creating or editing your project you will see the option to choose “What did you use for pattern/instructions?.” You can then select that you have used a pattern for your project, and enter the Craftsy Keep out the Cold link below: http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/other/keep-out-the-cold/36296. We’re looking forward to see and receiving these items!

10. Elizabeth says:

I listed my Quick and Easy Earflap Hat Crochet pattern for free so that you can use it to make hats and donate them to this or any other charity. The pattern gives instructions to make earflap hats in 6 sizes from newborn to adult. http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/crocheting/accessory/quick-and-easy-earflap-hat-6-sizes/15517 Happy Crocheting!