How to Correctly Measure Front Waist Length for Plus Sizes

Posted by on Oct 28, 2012 in Sewing | Comments

There’s a very simple trick to accurately getting the front waist length measurement right. And you do want to get it right, considering how important this measurement is for plus-sized garments. Here, Barbara Deckert (instructor of Plus-Sized Pattern Fitting and Design) shares this awesome tip.

Enjoy this tip? Get a special 20% discount and learn more about Barbara Deckert’s online sewing class, Plus-Size Pattern Fitting & Design.

Hi, I’m sewing geek Barbara Deckert, and I’m teaching a class called Plus-Sized Pattern Fitting and Design for Craftsy.

When I take someone’s measurements, a lot of my customers look just like this. This is a very average woman’s shape. I take at least 24 different measurements, because that gives me the information I need to adjust the sewing pattern to fit the unique figure, not just a standardized, idealized figure. And let me give you a tip for taking one measurement that’s really important: that’s the front waist length.

Take a piece of tape and put it right across the bust from apex to apex. Apex is the most prominent aspect of the bust; it’s whereever you stick out the farthest. Put this tape across like that and then when you take the measurement, start at the base of the neck and go down over this tape, which is called a bridge, down to the center front to the waist. We take a measurement this way because when we actually wear garments, they drape over the bust, and they usually do not go in between. So we need to know the length that is taken up when the fabric drapes and the way that it would when you sew a garment.

If you like this tip and you’d like to learn more, check out my class, Plus-Sized Pattern Fitting and Design on Craftsy.

Related Plus Size Sewing Tips:

• How To Identify a Flawed Fit for Plus Sizes

Comments

1. Carol Gerrard says:

I can not find this class on craftsy Help!!

1. Support says:

Hello!

The class is not released quite yet. Our team is putting the final touches on it and we will have it available soon. Stay tuned for more details!

2. MikeD says:

Hi Carol,

Barabra’s class is now now live! Be sure to click here for a special 20% discount.

~ m

2. Scheri Manson says:

I would love to sign up for this class but when I log into my Craftsy.com account it does not show this class in th “sewing” or “new class” menu.

1. Support says:

Hello!
      The class is not released quite yet. Our team is just putting the finishing touches on it and we will have it available soon! Stay tuned for more details.

2. MikeD says:

Hi Scheri,

~ m

3. Tammy says:

Can we get and email when it release’s or will it show up in our daily emails we get now. Thanks

1. MikeD says:

Hi Tammy,

~ m

4. Kathy says:

I have a question. I’m not plus size, but I have problems around the middle. I have a stright figure with a pair shape. My stomach looks similar to the manikin.. Do you think it would be worth my while or is it just for plus size.?

1. Support says:

We think it would be worth your while. You will probably learn some new skills and things to consider while sewing for your own body type! There’s nothing to lose, as Craftsy has a 100% Money Back Guarantee on all of our classes!