How To Sell More Patterns on Craftsy (And the Web!)

Posted by on Oct 9, 2012 in Cake Decorating, Knitting, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

What’s your main goal as a pattern designer (whether you’re a quilter, knitter, sewist…) or expert crafter who sells your goods? My guess is that it’s a sell more patterns/goods.

Tory Lynne, Craftsy SEO Manager
Nodding your head? This post is for you! I’m Tory Lynne, SEO Marketing Manager at Craftsy, and dabbling crafter. (You may have met me from my quilt adventures – I’m still working on starting that quilt!) I help Craftsy.com rank on search engines like Google and Bing. I’d love to help you get found through online marketing like search engine optimization and social media optimization!

So let’s get started! While I center much of this post about being found more through your Craftsy Pattern Store, this advice is applicable to other sites you sell your patterns/goods on, as well as your own website or blog.

PPSSSTTTT: Add your patterns to Craftsy! It’s free!

How To Get Found

When you’re setting up your Craftsy profile, adding patterns, a project or the like, this is how we help people find you! What this boils down to is that if you aren’t filling out all the info about what you’re sharing on Craftsy, we can’t help crafters find you. So what can you do?

How to Sell More Patterns on Craftsy

1.) Fill out the information fields! All of them! In descriptive detail!
Think about what you would search for when looking for a project to start – color? Type? Size? A noticeable or interesting feature, like an owl or tri-fold structure? Be sure to include all of these details.

Special fields to pay attention to are the Pattern Title and Pattern Description. But don’t forget the others – remember, the more, and the more descriptive, the better.

This ensures that even when you’re not new, you can still be found. This advice applies to anywhere you add your patterns (or goods, like in an Etsy store), including your own website.

On Craftsy, keep in mind that you’ll also want to fill out all of your user profile (to try and get more followers, who will then see all your new patterns), and upload Projects you’ve made with your pattern. Different colors, materials and notions can change the look of your items, and users love to see that diversity! Just be sure to completely fill out those pages, as recommended for the Patterns pages.

The one thing to steer clear of? Using the same descriptions across multiple sites, or on multiple pages. This matters less on the site itself, and more for when search engines like Google come to play. You see, your patterns on Craftsy and (likely) your goods on your website can be found through search engines, and search engines don’t like to see the same copy (written descriptions) in more than one place. Make sure the search engines are interested in ranking each of your pattern listings by including custom descriptions of them.

2.) Add pictures! Good ones! And describe them!
There’s no denying it – the prettier the picture, the better it sells. (While you’re at it, take our Craft Photography class!)

Once you have the pretty picture, many sites will let you describe it. They might call it a caption or alt text (–>means Alternative Text, and helps a visitor who can’t see the picture understand what it is.) Regardless, you should fill it out. Here, a simple phrase describing what the picture is works best.

3.) Share! And Pin, Like, Tweet, Tumble…
The next step in being found on Craftsy is to share what you’ve done! Use our social sharing links to post to Facebook, Pin to Pinterest, or Tweet to get some attention. In the case of patterns, if you’re able to share and start selling your pattern, you are more likely to show up on the Leaderboard, which is a pretty nice place to be, as you’ll be in front of the thousands of crafters browsing patterns on Craftsy daily.

So share your pattern across your social profiles! Tell your Facebook friends about it, pin it on Pinterest, and shout it on Twitter. A little interest when your pattern is brand new can go a long way in helping your pattern be found on our site.

Don’t be afraid to ask your friends for their support by letting them know that by purchasing your patterns, they’re supporting independent designers like you! And don’t underestimate the power of networking. If you admire a fellow designer on Craftsy, share their work and ask for them to share yours as well!

———-

That’s a wrap for now. Please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions – and if you are interested in more marketing “how to” posts for your crafting shop, goods & patterns from Craftsy, be sure to let us know!

Related Posts:
Social Media Tips for Indie Designers & Makers, Pt. 1: Facebook
Social Media Tips for Indie Designers & Makers, Pt. 2: Pinterest
Social Media Tips for Indie Designers & Makers, Pt. 3: Twitter
Social Media Tips for Indie Designers & Makers, Pt. 4: Instagram

Comments

1. Mary G says:

GREAT overview of getting our patterns noticed. Thanks for taking the time to post these tips which can so easily be overlooked!

1. Tory says:

Thanks so much Mary! It is easy to overlook, but so helpful I think it’s worth the time and effort. Good luck in selling more patterns for the holidays!

2. SUSAN WARD says:

Firstly I love selling my knittibg patterns with you. I do, however, wonder if the Leaderboard is quite fair. Sometimes, out of the 20 listings, over half have been from one designer. NOT sour grapes honestly, I have been on the board, just I think there could be a rotation perhaps or a theme or colour schemes for customers to view. Perhaps returning customers might like different listings.
    Just a thought.

Thanks for listening

Susan Ward

1. Support says:

Hi Susan,

Thank you for supporting Craftsy! I wanted to let you know that Craftsy does not pick and choose our favorite patterns on the Leaderboard, Members do! The featured patterns that are on the leaderboard are there because they are the patterns that generate the most interest from members. These patterns receive the most activity, for example, they are are the most purchased, the most commented on, the most wish-listed, they have received the most hearts, or have the most finished project photos uploaded that were created with those patterns. There are a number of factors that get these patterns their deserved attention. However, variety is the spice of life, so I have passed your suggestion along to our team for further consideration!

2. Tory says:

Hey Susan,

Thanks for your note! I wanted to add that I’ve talked to our team about the Leaderboard, and we agree it needs some assistance. It’ll definitely get some focus when we get a chance, so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Best,
      Tory

1. SUSAN WARD says:

Thank you Tory and I understand totally. I think what I am trying to say is that I love the leaderboard and agree with it, however, I do think it’s a catch 22 situation, first seen, first bought and then stay there so I think it would be a good idea to promote other designers in some way.

3. Education is a great thing and Craftsy is ALWAYS there! I love this post. Easy to read and understand. I’d love to read more posts like this one. Keep up the good work.

Best,
    Sheila Zachariae

1. Tory says:

Thanks Sheila, I’ll see what I can do!
      -Tory

4. SusanM. Jensen says:

Im glad I read this. I’m a senior / newbie with NO camera! It’s so great to find a blog with so much of interest to me. I buy patterns here and at a few shops. Thank you! Susan M. J

5. Christina says:

The number one thing I want to know about a teacher is if she is university educated in that subject. I would really want to see Post-graduate degrees.
    It is so easy to find lessons by educated professionals, many for college credit, that i would never take a class from a hobby-ist, nor i would I buy a pattern from someone not holding a degree in pattern design.

1. Terri says:

Really? Why? Can’t a hobbyist be as intelligent, creative and intuitive as someone with a degree? Rather narrow minded…some of the most famous inventors were common people without degrees, mr. Facebook himself, mr apple inventor, Just to name a few so don’t judge by a degree.

2. SUSAN WARD says:

This is a lttle sad to hear……..a degree from university doesn’t give you experience. Are we to list our qualifications…..what about those who never had the chance, time or funds to go to uni……and I find a so called hobbyist more dedicated.
      I could list my qualifications but I hope my knitting patterns are proof enough I know what I’m doing
      We are, though, all entitled to our beliefs and it’s great to hear those of others.
      So thank you x

3. I think your post is going to get a lot of backs up on this website!!

Whilst I respect your comment and views, I feel that is a real shame! You’re really are missing out on some very professional minded ‘hobbyists’ as you call them, who actually are more than hobbyists. Like myself, they do this for a living and have either been taught or even self-taught on how to produce some very innovative designs and they go on to share these designs with other people in a similarly professional fashion. This includes the teachers of craft classes who may not all have degrees but are very, VERY knowledgeable in their field. I, myself, have amazing feedback from customers who buy my sewing patterns who are always so pleased with the high quality of my pattern instructions, images, templates and overall layout of the PDF format files which I create from my bag and accessory designs. I also produce such high quality of work that I am now a sewing pattern contributor for Sewing World magazine and in the process of doing projects for a new craft magazine coming out soon. The editors of these magazines regard my work (as they do their other contributors) extremely highly. I would advise you not to be so narrow minded and please realise that there are a huge number of seriously gifted / talented people out there who know more than a degree could ever have taught them and the fact that we are willing to pass that knowledge on to others is not to be sniffed at.

4. FlossiePotts says:

Heavens above! My daughter has a degree in Fine Arts majoring in textile design and a not small part of her study was in pattern design and construction, but she couldn’t make a knitted garment if her life depended on it. My grandmother, however had virtually no education and could knit and design and teach anyone, any item without the benefit of either a degree or a pattern.

1. Deby says:

Well said. I count experience and innovation over qualifications any time.

6. Rumi says:

Glad to read such advices for first time. Hope in future we will hear more detailed and helpful hints.

7. Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I will be changing some things on my website for sure. I would like to know where to learn to write out patterns. I’m a freelance knitter so my designs are in my head. Is there any direction you can offer me? Thanks, Christine

1. Tory Lynne says:

Hey Christine, what great news! Best of luck as you make the changes.

as for your pattern creation question, we actually offer a class in that – http://www.craftsy.com/class/how-to-say-it-pattern-writing-for-knitters/82. Hope this helps!
      -Tory

8. tia robi says:

I understand that alot of people on here are trying to make money….but i just dont understand why everyone wants to charge so much for patterns and also have noticed that alot of patterns are copies of other peoples patterns alot of you ladies ask that no-one reuse your patterns as their own and i see alot of coppied patterns that i have paid for already from someone else…..now i feel i have wasted my money ….i’m so proud of my work i really enjoy sharing it ,but i would never take credit for someone else’s creativity….i feel that if you are going to share a pattern fine but if you have used a pattern belonging to someone else even if you tweek it just alittle that does not make it yours so you should not sell it as yours you should give credit where it belongs

1. SUSAN WARD says:

I can promise all my knitting patterns have been designed by me from my own ideas and not copied or tweaked from anyone elses.
      I have written the pattern as clearly as possible for all skill levels and added step by step photos.
      I don’t think knitting patterns are overpriced as many hours of work can go into creating just one design.

9. Education is a great thing and Craftsy. I like all the tips in your post. Easy to read and understandable. I’d love to read more posts like this one. Keep up the good work.

10. So apparently I’ve been doing everything on fill out the fields except the last tip I’ve been doing backwards and having symmetry across all my blurbs on a particular design. With google is it better to rework the same paragraph or will it find “buzz” words and still assume it is the same write-up even if it is structured differently? If the latter, how do you make sure to include all relevant searchable words without it falling into ill google favor?

11. Bookworm says:

I don’t know about knitting, but I know there are some extremely overpriced crochet patterns. I think the thing I hate to see most is people taking standard patterns that were done by somebody before, making a small embellishment and then wanting to charge over $5 for the pattern. And then when you point it out, people act like you’re just being mean or rude but it’s the truth.