Free Machine Quilting Tip #2:
How To Begin and End Quilt Lines

Posted by on Sep 4, 2012 in Quilting | Comments

If you enjoyed this free tip on how to begin and end quilt lines, sign up for my new Craftsy class Design It, Quilt It today!

Hi I’m Cindy Needham, I am an online quilting instructor with Craftsy.com, and I’ve got a great tip for you on beginning and ending your quilting lines.

Some people prefer to bring up their bobbin thread, they leave a long tail, they tie it off, they bury it into their quilt sandwich. I don’t care to do that. I like to begin and end my quilting lines with little short stitches so I’m going to give you a quick, easy instruction for how to do that.

I loosely hang onto the top thread, I drop my needle, and I bring my needle back up, and I give a little tug. I use my curved-tip scissors and I grab that bobbin thread, drop the needle down into the same position. When I begin my line I’m going to begin with tiny little micro stitches, generally about four to five stitches so I’m barely moving my fabric.

Then I’m going to go and do my little quilting design. When I’m at the end of my line I’m going to end with the same tiny micro stitches that I began with, about four to five stitches. When I’m done, I lift up my presser foot and I lift up my needle. I take my fabric and I pull it towards me, and I grab the top thread. I bring my fabric to the same position, and I drop my needle down in the next hole. Bring it up and you give a little pull. Here’s your bobbin thread coming up as a loop, you take your curved-tip scissors and you clip it right next to the edge of the fabric, and you clip the front. You have a nice clean beginning and ending to your quilting line on the front as well as the back.

Related Machine Quilting Tips:

Comments

1. Patricia Faye says:

Helpful information! Thank you for sharing.

2. Dawn Webster says:

Very helpful! Thank you.

3. Sharon Heys says:

Being someone that has just started quilting this was so great to watch as I can see now how simple quilting can be and easy just to make some fun things :)

4. Marian Elliott says:

Cindy Needham is an amazing quilter and excellent teacher. I took a class from her in person and I have seen her work close up. I am looking forward to taking the crafty class. then I can back track and learn as much as I can.

5. Mary Anderson says:

I am considering taking this class. Cindy’s work is amazing!

6. Karen Wilbur says:

I was just talking to my Aunt in DesMoines, IA last evening and she was describing this quilt to me, but didn’t know what it was called. Her quilt group is making them for their church, but they are cutting their own strips. What a great idea. And yes I do have a jelly roll and didn’t know what I was going to do with it.

7. Barb Hunter says:

Thank you for sharing this project. I will make very good use of my left over stash.

8. “Free Machine Quilting Tip #2: How To Begin
    and End Quilt Lines” seriously enables myself think a little bit more.
    I actually enjoyed each and every particular section of this blog
    post. Thanks for the post -Tiffani