Step Two: Craftsy Quilt of Valor Mystery Quilt-a-long!

Posted by on Aug 22, 2012 in Quilting | Comments

Welcome to Part Two of this guest Quilt-a-long series from Alycia of Alycia Quilts. This week, Alycia tells you what pieces to cut from your fabric. Come back each week for the next  step of the mystery quilt designed for Quilts of Valor! This quilt will also be featured in an upcoming Craftsy quilting class.

Cutting Instructions:
Hopefully you all have your fabrics chosen or purchased?  Let’s move on to the cutting instructions.

Red

• 1 – 2 inch strip. Sub-cut this 2 inch strip into 8 – 2 inch squares
  • 5 – 3 inch strips (put aside for the inner border)

Blue

• 2 – 2 inch strips (you will use your Recs ruler on these)
  • 4 – 2 ½ inch strips
  • 6 – 7 ½ inch strips (for your outer border)

Cream

• 2 – 5 inch strips
  • 2 – 8 ½ inch strips
  • 2 – 2 inch strips (Sub-cut into 32 – 2 inch squares, and save the left over for the next cutting step)
  • 1 – 2 inch strip, plus the extra (you will use your TRI ruler on these)
  • 7  – 12 ½ inch squares

Here I am cutting my blocks...

...and here are my cut pieces!

Yay – Take a break, you deserve it!! Any guesses on what we’re going to end up with? As always, if you have questions feel free to email me at AlyciaQuilts@gmail.com

Cut your pieces out and come back next Wednesday to find out what the next step will be! Join us for the next four weeks as we create a mystery quilt together. For step one, click here. If you’d like to see why Alcyia is so passionate about Quilts of Valor, check out her latest blog post about some of the amazing men and women who receive these quilts.

Comments

1. Bari says:

Alycia,

I assume we cut those strips the width of the fabric so they will be about 42″ long? I want to make sure before I cut them!

Thanks!

1. Katie says:

“Yes – the strips are the Width of Fabric (or WOF), or about 42 inches.
      Thanks!”
      ~Alycia

2. Pauline says:

Is there any way we can find clue one, I missed it. Thanks for doing a Quilt Of Valor.

1. Katie says:

Hi Pauline!

You can see clue one by clicking here.

Thanks!
      Katie

3. Nancy Latham says:

I don’t seem able to print out the first page of your clues.
    Any suggestions?
    Nancy L

1. Katie says:

Hi Nancy!

If you click here, you should be able to see clue one. To print it, click “File,” then “Print.”

I hope this helps!
      Katie

4. Jackie Dudek says:

Cut and ready to go for next week!!!!!

5. Nonda says:

No local quilt shops had the Tri Rec tools, so ordered online today. Hope they get here within the week so I can keep up with the weekly instructions…

6. Joanie says:

Where did you order your tri-ruler from?

1. Katie says:

Hi Joanie,

You can find the Tri-Recs ruler in your local quilt store or in many places online.

Thanks!
      Katie

2. Enjay says:

I used Amazon to find a vendor: Court Street Office Supplies, 139-11th Street, Brooklyn NY 11215 had the best price combo with shipping and I received them yesterday (27th), so I am ready to go. I was going to try my 60 degree triangle, but this one is a bit smaller–maybe 55 or 57 degrees, so I am glad I went for the Tri Rec set. Total cost was $10.49 (tools and shipping). I waited to respond to make sure I got what was requested and ina timely manner.

7. Looks like fun! I have no idea what we are making…. a great mystery Alicia!

8. Maria says:

Great advices:)

9. geri werking says:

what is a tri recs ruler? Have never heard of it.

1. Katie says:

Hi Geri!

You can find out more about a Tri Recs Ruler here.

Thanks!
      Katie

10. SewRome says:

Picked a very americana type of fabrics and have everything cut and ready for next week.

11. Sewswithrum says:

Katie, is there a binding size you would recommend? You mentioned it might be good out of the blue but i didn’t size it in the cutting section. Thanks!

1. Support says:

Hi – I’m happy to help. You will need extra fabric for the binding, approximately 1/2 yard. Alycia cuts her binding strips to 2 1/2 inches because she machine binds everything. However, the majority of quilters will most likely cut theirs 2 inches wide and hand bind it.

12. Sewswithrum says:

Thank you!

13. Susan says:

Can’t wait for step three. I keep checking for it so I can run downstairs and get going! Lots of fun and a good cause!

1. Katie says:

Hi Susan!

You can find Step 3 here.

Thanks!