Help Raise Epilepsy Awareness by Creating Purple Stitch Projects

Hi designers and creators! Craftsy Instructor Vickie Howell is raising epilepsy awareness through her new charitable organization, the Purple Stitch Project, and would love your help!

Vickie is collecting knit, crocheted, sewn, or embroidered projects to be distributed to kids and teens with epilepsy.  Visit Craftsy to take a look at the Purple Stitch patterns that our Craftsy members have uploaded, or use any of your favorite patterns to create a one-of-a-kind item to be donated to the Purple Stitch Project. These items will go to kids and teens with epilepsy to remind them that they are not alone.

An army of Purple Stitch Project ninjas; make your own today!

Here’s how you can participate and help raise epilepsy awareness:

1. Make a purple project appropriate for a kid or teen using either a free Purple Stitch Project pattern or a pattern of your choice (remember to use purple – the color of epilepsy awareness – somewhere in your project).
  2. Take a picture of your finished projects and upload it to Craftsy with “Purple Stitch Project” in the title.
  3. Send your finished project to:
    Purple Stitch Project
    9901 Brodie Ln, Ste 160 #268
    Austin, TX 78748
    USA
  4. If you can’t donate a project, you can still help out by “hearting” Purple Stitch Projects on Craftsy. For every 10 hearts a PSP project gets, Craftsy will donate $1 to the Purple Stitch Project.
  5. Pat yourself on the back for contributing your time or talents to a great cause!

Get started on your Purple Stitch Project projects today!

Michelle D.

How do you get kids with epilepsy signed up to be involved? My daughter has epilepsy and feels like she’s the only one and that she’s different than other typical kids because she has epilepsy.

Rebecca

Hi Michelle,

We’re so thrilled to hear that you and your daughter want to be involved in the Purple Stitch Project. There is no official sign up to be a part of the project. To participate, you can make a purple project appropriate for a kid or teen and then send your finished project to:

Purple Stitch Project
9901 Brodie Ln, Ste 160 #268
Austin, TX 78748
USA

You can use your own pattern, or use a Craftsy Purple Stitch pattern, which you can find here: http://www.craftsy.com/patterns/search?category=All&name=purple+stitch+project&sortBy=popular

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! Thank you very much for getting involved with the Purple Stitch Project!

Beth

My understanding of Michelle’s comment was different than yours, Rebecca. I assumed that the mention of her daughter with epilepsy feeling alone would make her a candidate for receiving a purple ninja; not making one. Perhaps I’m wrong, but, otherwise, I don’t know how you determine who receives a ninja when she seems to be a perfect fit.

Rebecca

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Beth! I must have misunderstood the question!

Michelle,

If you’d like your daughter to be a recipient of the Purple Stitch Project, you can go to this link, http://purplestitchproject.org/receive/ and fill out the appropriate information so that you daughter can receive a handmade, purple gift.

I apologize about the confusion. Thanks again Beth for pointing this out.

Kitty J

What a great project. My GD has epilepsy and she is coming for a vist so this will be the perfect activity for us to do together. Purple is one of her favorite colors. I taught her to sew and knit so she can do 2 projects. She is a very caring girl and she will love doing this. Thank you for providing such a wonderful opportunity.

Rene Betts

Congratulations to Vicky Howell for beginning this project and I think the purple ninjas are adorable. Much luck Vicky, and I’m sure your project will fly. What a good cause. I haven’t heard of a group helping epileptics or fundraiser either. They seem to be “on their own”.

Kathy Lynne Cook

I have been an epeleptic since age 2. Going on to my 56th next month. Send me the
purple stitch and I will try to make it. No promises. I am not all that good. but I can certainly try. I have had brain surgery which didn’t work, and then tried the vagus nerve stimulator which helped hardly none. So, I am on the waiting list for the Neuropace when it come FDA approved.

Rebecca

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your willingness to help! Feel free to use any pattern that you have on hand. There is no specific pattern that we are requesting. The only guideline is that your project should be purple and appropriate for a kid or teen. You can also use one of our Craftsy Purple Stitch patterns, which you can find at this link: http://www.craftsy.com/patterns/search?category=All&name=purple+stitch+project&sortBy=popular

Thank you again for your kindness and generosity. If we can help you with anything else, please don’t hesitate to ask!

vicki easley

even us adults with epilepsy vwould love those..Epilepsy is so dibilitating at all ages….thanks to all that help with this

Autumn

I will be making something!! I’m thinking a purple ninja hat! I love the ninjas!

Deborah Sharp Loeb

Dear Vicki,
I am the parent of a 30 year old developmentally disabled son with epilepsy and am a certified as a Special Education teacher. May I please suggest to you to change the wording from “epileptic kids and teens” to “kids and teens with epilepsy” as to not describe people by their ailments. Just a small shift in wording but I think a big one in perception, yes?
Thanks to you for thinking of this project. Much does need to be done to raise epilepsy awareness.
I too have my own project close to my heart.
Hugs & Blessings on your project,
Debbie Sharp Loeb

Megan

Hi Deborah,

You are absolutely correct. I’m sorry about our phrasing and it has been changed. Thank you for your kind words about the project and your insight!

My best,
Megan

Deborah Sharp Loeb

Hi Megan,
My oops! Sorry I missed that my note should have been addressed to you. I’ll put a write-up about your Purple Stitch Project & link on Hodgepodge and in time will send along a purple project too.
Debbie

Roxanne

My daughter, Emily, is 34 and had her 1st seizure when she was 18. They have recently changed the Rx she’d been on for 16 years, after an Easter seizure, and she had another one today! My favorite color is purple….I’ll be happy to participate in this!