Happy First Birthday, Craftsy! Learn What We’ve Accomplished in the Last Year

Posted by on May 17, 2012 in Cake Decorating, Crocheting, Fiber Arts and Felting, Home & Garden, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Paper Crafts, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

As we say a big “Happy First Birthday” to Craftsy, we’d like to take some time to reflect on what Craftsy and the Craftsy community have accomplished. Here are some major milestones, month-by-month, that we’ve been able to reach thanks to your feedback and support as we’ve grown up a bit throughout the past year.

May 2011: Craftsy launched on May 19!

June 2011: The project section launched, and 1,000 projects were shared by the Craftsy community.

July 2011: Fit Your Knits launched — our most popular knitting class! Deals launched with the first Craftsy yarn deal.

August 2011: Our community grew to 100,000 Craftsy members!

September 2011: The Craftsy community shared a total of 10,000 projects.

October 2011: Machine Quilting launched, and Wendy Butler Berns took the fear out of free-motion.

November 2011: The first quilting fabric Deal was released for Craftsy members!

December 2011: The first food craft class, Handcrafted Sugar Flowerslaunched

January 2012: Block of the Month launched, with nearly 80,000 students enrolled! Craftsy Worldwide Meetup Day allowed Craftsy members to meet and greet around the globe.

February 2012: We had the pleasure of working with the great Susan Khalje and Vogue Patterns on The Couture DressIndie Patterns marketplace launched, a 100% free place for indie designers to sell their patterns.

March 2012: Rigid Heddle Weaving, our first weaving class, launched.

April 2012: Indie designers sold 200,000 patterns on Craftsy!

May 2012: New class experience platform launched with reviews, 30 second repeat, talk, closed captioning, and search.

We’ve been able to accomplish all of these things with the help of our wonderful Craftsy community. Throughout our first year, you have given us support, advice, and encouragement to constantly improve and innovate our site, platform, and capabilities. We’re asking you to please continue to do so. That being said, what is it that you want to see in our next year? Give us your ideas! We love getting your feedback!

Comments

1. Carmela Cataudella-Sanzone says:

Congratulations on your 1st anniversary!! How about having some Electric Quilt (EQ) classes? Would love to take classes (at my pace) and love the Crafty platform for doing this as well. Also, have you thought about certification classes for Quilting??

2. Pamela Adam-Smith says:

Happy Anniversary! I cannot get enough Craftsy!!! These classes are incredibly helpful during a difficult time. I can distract myself enough to “get away from it all” and still be productive!!
    My “first love” is beading but I”m becomming quite the quilter thanks to Craftsy. Bead and Button magazine has some videos online that can sometimes be helpful with specific stitches but those demos are nothing like the amazing Craftsy platform(s).
    I hope to see some more beading and upcycling classes in the future.
    May you all continue to branch out into all areas craft related and grow like crazy this coming year.

3. Sheila says:

Happy Anniversary! Many people don’t know what goes on behind the scenes here at Craftsy! The many hours that go into a great site such as this are endless! Nine to five and beyond! Listening, updating, researching, communicating, advertising, buying, selling, etc.

I found Craftsy when they were just a baby! And LOOK at what has become of a humble start up web site!

I have created beautiful knitwear with the glorious yarns from the Deals shop! I might have never tried some of them without this great little shop!

The Pattern Store is loaded with superb patterns of all kinds! Knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery, jewelry, felting, paper and quilting! I get so much inspiration from the Projects and browsing the patterns. You don’t have to be a quilter to admire such beauty!

I look forward to another great year from you all and can’t wait to see what you have planned for us all done the Craftsy road!

Best,
    Sheila

I have been proud to sing the phrases of Craftsy and am honored to be a part of the wonderful Workshops and Pattern Store!

4. Rumi says:

Happy Anniversary!
    I found Craftsy 5 months ago and my life was changed. Like all the courses and superb pattern here. I wish I have more time and money to spend here :)
    Amazing place for amazing people!
    Thank you!

5. Lena says:

Happy Birthday, Craftsy!
    Wow, what a list for just a year! And what a great community you’ve gathered !
    The projects gallery is inspiring and I love being able to communicate with other members.
    I’m enjoying all classes I’ve taken and would love to see an organic gardening class, for those of us who’d like to try to grow our food (or at least herbs!) and also an urban gardening – many people live in homes with no access to garden and could grow their own on a balcony or indoors, so it would be great to have a class in urban balcony gardening.
    I’ve seen these NY guys making vertical indoor gardens with self watering systems of empty water bottles – what a great DIY project/class this would be!
    I’m looking forward to the new classes!
    Warm greetings,
    Lena

6. wiLDaBoUtCoLoR ~ Ellen says:

Happy 1st Birthday Craftsy!!!!! A faBuLouS place for crafters to gather. You are outstanding and getting better & better. Your staff is doing a wonderful job (pat on back). Thank you!

7. Shayla Sharp says:

Happy Birthday Craftsy! Keep bringing on the classes–I’m loving this format!

8. Ferretmania says:

Happy 1st Birthday!
    Thank you for making this site such a awesome place to be.

9. Geri Werking says:

Congratulations on your first year. I found you in January and am having a great time taking the classes. Your instuctors are so knowledgeable. While I am taking the machine quilting classes I would like to see a class using the home quilter machine. It is not as big as the long arm (only about 8 inches across to quilt in at a time) but I would really like to learn how to use mine as I have had i for about 6-7 years and can only do the stipple stitch on it. Would really like to do all theother stitches . Again Congratulations!!!!

10. Tonya says:

I love Craftsy! I have purchased 3 quilting classes and I am also working on the
    BOM with Amy! The Deal of the Day is wonderful, As a new quilter my stash is building up quickly with those great prices!

Happy 1st Birthday Craftsy.

11. lorna holley says:

I’m so glad you are only a year old–that means I have missed very little! LOL This is such a great site and easy to navigate for this “golden age” user ;) The classes are terrific and I really appreciate the free ones too. So nice to see patterns from Indie Designers and to have feedback and answers to questions. Can’t imagine Craftsy getting any better, but I know it will.!! Happy Birthday!

12. MindyM says:

Happy Birthday! I love the site and the classes. It is fun browsing through the project photos. And I love the new features in the classroom platform–30 second repeat, questions and notes. Thanks for all the fun and inspiration!

13. Inga Traverse says:

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday craftsy, Enjoy your site immensely, have learned lots of new techinques in quilting, and have made a few quilts using them. Right now I think I’m signed up for seven courses and I’m sure in time I will find more. Can spend many hours just watching the lessons and planning new projects.

14. Congratulations on your one year anniversary! I have taken several classes and have enjoyed and learned from each one. I would like to see a class on all aspects of machine applique – on e that would include straight stitch applique where you stitch through a quilt sandwich.

15. Chris Huff says:

I love all Craftsy has to offer and have told friends and family about it whenever crafts come up. Happy Birthday!

16. Lyn says:

I adore Craftsy and have purchase many of the classes through the year! Thank you so much for such a wonderful place to learn!! My Home!! ;0) Congratulations to a Crafter’s Best Friend!!
    Celebrate!!

17. Jacqueline says:

Dear Craftsy:

Happy Happy Anniversay. I have only been with you for about 3 months and I really
    love this site. I did the scraps class with Pepper Core and really liked that class. Learn
    alot of new ideas for scrap quilts which I love to make. Now I am doing the BOM class,
    and this is really fun. I have made about 12 quilts in the past year with all my scraps, but
    for some reason my scrap piles never go down. Hmmm! Best to all of you at Craftsy. I
    am a member for life.

18. Brenda says:

How fun, 1 year already! wow. It has been exciting to see all the growth in just one year. This is a wonderful place to be. Thank you for all the work you have done and continue to do.

Happy Birthday!
    b.

19. Chriss Toogood says:

I would like to see Crochet projects for the new year! I’ve been crocheting since my mum taught me at seventeen, now forty four I’m always looking to find new designs and crafty items to crochet! My last project I did was a 3D Swan doily for the centre of my dining table! Everyone that sees it says it’s looks complicated to do! Check out my creations album to see this on facebook! Love to all you craftys out there! Oh and Happy 1st Birthday too!

20. Tammy says:

I love this community!

I would like to see even more sewing classes and true beginner quilting classes. Also, would there ever be a possibility of getting patterns for classes mailed to students. I am not a lover of having to print them out on the home printers.

21. Valerie says:

Happy Birthday and congratulations!
    I am so pleased to be a part of this fabulous craftsy community. Long may it thrive!

22. Mary Wilkin says:

Happy first Birthday! I have so enjoyed the block of the month and the knitting patterns. Great job and keep up the great work. I so enjoy your site!!!!

23. Margaret M says:

Happy Birthday, Craftsy! I love the BOM class and I have three others in my account. I have a hard time carving time, but they are there whenever I can get to them .. even if it is only a piece of a lesson at a time. One of the things I love most is access in my time to suit me. It is so hard for me to get to a scheduled class or group. Something with work or life always interferes. But Craftsy is a faithful friend there whenever I log in! Love it!

24. Thank you Craftsy and congratulations! I have enjoyed taking the FREE block of the month course this year. So appreciate this budget saving, great tutorial. Keep up the good work.

25. xraymd says:

I am delighted to be a part of Craftsy and congratulations on your 1 year anniversary. It is hazy now but I think I must have learned about you from ads while watching YouTube videos. I started with purchasing one class but immediately purchased two additional when their prices were cut on special and it was truly tempting so I bought! Now I am eyeing a 4th class and if I see it at a discount, I am going straight for it – it stretches my dollars to the point where it is very worth it to me to have bought, say, 4 classes for the price of 3, or 3 classes for the price of 2. Have you thought about packaging them this way from the start? The other reason I bought the two additional classes that I did was that in the class I am taking, the question came up about whether the other classes had significant overlap with the one I was attending (they are all on making socks) and was delighted to learn that the overlap was minimal and that the purchase had been a fruitful one. So that, plus the favorable price, were a real inducement to buy. Hope this helps the Craftsy marketing department ;-) !

26. clara says:

Happy Anniversary! keep coming up with the cute ideas…
    xoxoxo
    cbowling…..

27. Linda says:

Congratulations on your first birthday. I just found Craftsy a couple months ago and have signed up for the couture dress course with Susan Khalge. I have watched it in it’s entirety but am reluctant to start the course as I require a full bust adjustment to any top or dress pattern.I do have many books that tell you how to do a full bust adjustment and have had luck with this in the past. My problem this is a princess seam pattern and have not done this before all my information says it easier and gives a better fit but no instructions on how to do it. I would love to see any courses about fit be it bust or pants. I am a visual learner and to be able to see it over again as many times as i want helps me to absorb the complexity into my brain. I am a firm believer that anyone can learn something when you do it at least ten times and at craftsy you make this possible. Thank you thank you thank you. L.

28. Marty P says:

Happy Birthday Craftsy! I have enjoyed all the quilting classes for almost as long as you have been on. I love the format and sll the instructors. Thanks for the great site and hope for many more birthdays.

29. Peggy Mislock says:

Happy Birthday Craftsy!! I think I’ve been a member almost this whole year. I love the quilting classes! It’s so great to be able to take a class any time I want to…even in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep! Keep ‘em coming! And have a great 1st Birthday!

30. Margaret Jones says:

Thank you for your wonderful customer service. Somehow I managed to get my classes on three different email accounts. I contacted customer service and they were able to fix my mess. Now I enjoy all my classes on one email address. Your customer service is just as great as your classes.

31. Linda Quick says:

I have two classes in my stash and plan on adding more. They are better for me than going to my LYS because of my time constraints and being able to access again and again 24/7 as I learn the various steps. THANKS CRAFTSY!!!

32. Josefina Ana Placé Estêvão says:

Congratulations! So much done in such a short time! Good woork, evryone.
    To fellow crafters, let’s continue to be part of this amazing project – agreed?
    One small suggestion: How about offering special deals to a maximum of 10 units (allowed by your laws)? Often enough I fall for a yarn offered only to find out the deal is too limited for most desired projects (once cannot live on scarves, socks or mittens, right?).
    Thanks for all you’ve been doing.
    Big hello to everyone – from beautiful Portugal.

33. Marcia says:

Happy Birthday Craftsy!!!! I never would of guessed you are such a younster. I would rather spend my money on a craftsy class, which I have done many times, than a fast paced store class that stresses my out to try to complete the assignment. I have a special needs child and work part time out of the home, and craftsy allows me to watch a class for learning and entertainment on my schedule. I do not have much time to sew but I really love this format. I loved someone’s idea of more beginning sewing classes that my teen could take, a budding designer.

34. janet says:

Happy birthday to all at Craftsy! I have been enjoying the Block of the Month course. I haven’t posted my blocks yet, but I should. I like the instruction videos and being able to see all the finish blocks by other quilters. I like the classes that are offered. Thank you for creating this website.

35. Therese says:

Best wishes for such a successful first year! I joined after a couple months after school was out, not knowing you were so new! As a just retired FACS teacher, I was anxious to start a new hobby—quilting. I found your format wonderful! It is great to have such knowledgeable teachers, a class I can access anytime and repeatedly, a start-and-stop system, a place to see others’ comments and questions and projects, and a professional setting. It is difficult to refrain from signing up for almost all your classes….they sound so interesting. I am enjoying the BOTM currently and still need to discipline myself to finish several classes and make the samples and projects that are demonstrated for each. Thank your for your inspiration!

36. Edie Di Pede says:

Happy anniversary. I love getting your newsletter and exploring the classes and patterns you offer. What a wonderful way to indulge my yarn addiction! Keep up the good work.

37. Peggy Beckerdite says:

Happy Birthday/Anniversery! Whatever you choose to call it, what a great site. Its like a craft co-op only on line. I love the crochet classes. They are easy to follow and it is always great to be able to go back if you have forgotten anything. I have created many new patterns of my own because your videos have given me more confidence. I hope you have many, many more landmark dates to celebrate with us!

38. Pat Sell says:

Happy First Birthday to you-all! It has been a real joy for me to find your classes -i especialy love the 24/7 availability as my schedule is very confused. Your instructors are wonderful and I have learned so much! I have been quilting for more than 20 years, but even an old dog can learn new tricks – keep ‘em coming! :)

39. Maria Nogueira says:

Parabéns pelo aniversário.
    Infelizmente não falo ingles e não posso acessar as aulas.
    Obrigada.

40. Connie Anderson says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I had no idea Craftsy was less than 1 year old when I joined just a few weeks ago! Craftsy is a great platform to teach and share and learn from. I have enjoyed taking part in the classes and wandering around looking at all the talent there is here.
    I am looking forward to see where the next year takes us in our Craftsy journeys! Exciting!

41. Sidra Goldsmit says:

Happy Birthday. I’m on Craftsy daily since I found you a couple of months ago. I’m loving your knitting classes as that is my new hobby (it’s new to me, again). I want to see what new classes, projects, deals, blogs, etc. that have been added. There have been so many classes added that I have given me the opportunity either try or dream of taking at a minimal cost and the a chance at something different.

Something that I have not seen yet is cross stitch, hardanger, tatting, etc.

42. Tracy says:

Congratulations!
    When I saw the class on Tunisian Crochet I was thrilled! I’v been crocheting for 45 years and must really search for challenging projects. I had a book on diff sts for this type of crochet, but it got lost when I moved. I was so, so HAPPY to find this class on your site.
    Best Wishes!

43. Sheryl says:

Congratulations on a wonderful year. I don’t remember when exactly I found you, but you’re class on Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine won me over. I have 2 quilts I was wanting to quilt on my home machine, but wasn’t exactly sure how to go about it. I like all the projects and patterns as well. This next year should be even better. Keep up the good work.

44. Teckla says:

Congratulations on a very successful first year! I found Craftsy only a few months ago, I think from my Knitting Daily site, and it’s one of the BEST! I love having access to the many talented designers and have purchased several great patterns. I now have several classes as well and will add to my library, even though the sound on my computer is not working at present. One of the things that I will bless over and over is the ability to replay/watch instruction multiple times (I’m a visual learner) and also to ask questions. I taught my self to crochet when I was ten or eleven, then tried knitting. Knitting didn’t go so well then, but I picked it up later and made good progress. Work and life got in the way and I dropped it until a couple years ago. Now, it’s my favorite craft and there’s so much to learn! I also continue to crochet, sew, cross stitch and dabble in quilting and a number of other crafts, so I’m looking forward to a new year with Craftsy! Thank you for a wonderful website!

45. Faye says:

Congratulations Craftsy on your irst year. Your site is refreshing,inspiring and I love taking advantage of your fabric deals.
    keep up the good(fab.)work.

46. Patti says:

Happy! Happy! Many! Many!
    I’m very grateful for the many free, stash-busting knitting patterns you’ve put up on the web for us all. Also, have a safe, good Memorial Day!
    Patti

47. Jeanne says:

Happy Birthday Craftsy! …and many mooooooooore!

48. Becky says:

Happy birthday! I live in an area where there just aren’t any craft classes that suit me, and so online classes and self-teaching are pretty much my only options. I’ve taken online sewing classes from other sites before, but your site is by far my favorite–the videos are so helpful, I love being able to take it at my own pace, and it’s so much more affordable! I’m looking forward to seeing what you have to offer in year 2. I’ve only taken the Jean-ius class so far, I’m in the middle of it now, but I know I’ll be taking more!

Btw, I’d love to see some more advanced garment construction classes–especially one that deals with common fitting alterations, like the FBA, and how to do them. I’ve tried them on my own before with very limited success. I’d also really like to see things like wedding-related DIYs, since I know the ones on your site wouldn’t be lame!

1. Megan says:

Hi Becky,

If you’re looking for DIY wedding classes, keep your eyes peeled! We just might have a special class coming up that teaches all about creating a hand-made wedding accessory.

Best,
      Megan

49. Mary Lee Fischer says:

Thank you for the Tunisian Crochet class. I loved it. Please keep more coming.
    Mary Lee Fischer