Our April Fool’s Joke: Funny or Flop?

Posted by on Apr 3, 2012 in Cake Decorating, Crocheting, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Paper Crafts, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

While most months start fresh, April starts funny: with April Fool’s Day. At least, that’s the idea behind the myriad of pranks played around the world on this infamous holiday. This year, we decided to pull a little prank on our Craftsy users (all in good fun, of course) in an effort to generate some laughs, and also savings. Here’s how it worked:

On April 1st, we launched a “new class” called Pasta Crafts. If the instructor’s name (Eleanor Rugby, who wears, as her bio states, “the face that she keeps in a pasta jar by the door” and who “does not darn socks under any circumstances”) wasn’t too much of a tell, the class description contained some clues, too.

For instance, in explaining why this class is worth taking, it states: “You could go to Santa Fe and spend two weeks’ salary on a turquoise necklace. Or you could take my class, make a necklace just like it… If anybody gets close enough to your necklace to notice the difference, just tell them to stop being so fresh. I mean, honestly.” And in the article about the class in the last newsletter, we claimed that it answered such as questions as “Is angel hair really made out of angels’ hair?” (Answer: “It sure tastes like it!”), “Should I cook the noodles before stringing them on to the string?” (Answer: “No. Don’t cook them, as it weakens the pasta, and they could burn your neck.”), and “Help! My husband ate my necklace!” (Answer: “That’s not a question.”).

Visitors to the page were able to view a trailer (which teased other “classes” such as Beyond Basic Machine Washing, which of course, is play on our very real class, Beyond Basic Machine Quilting). At the end of the trailer, they were greeted with a discount code to take any class at a discount. By the way, you can go there now to watch it AND claim the discount code. However, we’re pulling the page and discount code on Tuesday, April 10. So hurry and go now to get your discount!

So, the question is: Were we funny? Or did it flop? Let’s look at some of the responses we got:

I can’t help but wonder how many people might really want to sign up to make pasta jewelry. Yours was my first April Fool’s joke of the day!

Thank you for the delightful April 1 edition of the Craftsy Newsletter!  Lovely way to start my day!

Seriously: How old are you? And how old do you think you average reader is? PASTA CRAFTS????? REALLY?????? …Pasta crafts are useful with elementary school children to help develop hand-eye coordination. They are reasonably safe if the little kiddies put them in their mouth ( although I suppose there is some choking danger), and when the string breaks there maybe tears but not for long because they are disposable. I am an adult not yet old enough for the Nursing Home and I do not require such precautions. …If I have mistakenly gotten myself on a list for children, morons or elderly dementia sufferers, please let me know…

That was fun! Thanks for the April Fool’s Day treat!

I am bummed that this is not a real class.

I must tell you that your Pasta Crafts article is a masterpiece of the craft of writing!

I was told by my daughter who is taking her Early Education Class that you should NEVER use FOOD products for crafts. There are too many children in schools who are starving and look at that craft as a wasted meal.

Well, what do you think? Good humor or a bad joke? Let us know in the comments! (And remember to visit the page to get your laugh/groan and discount code!)

Comments

1. Aunt Marti says:

Oh I DO hope the angry commenter will laugh now. I thought it was funny.

2. nicole says:

I think it’s hilarious! I didn’t see it on April Fool’s day. At the end of the video, it says “April Fool’s”, hopefully most people made it that far!
    I love that the instructor’s name is Eleanor Rugby and the about the instructor. “Her secondary obsessions are none of your business.” LOL
    LOVE IT!!!! Thanks for the great laugh!!!

3. Jessi says:

Well, I guess I thought it was real, because I thought “hmm, not for me” and deleted the email. Now that I’ve watch the trailer- hysterical!

My husband would probably be okay with me taking Beyond Basic Machine Washing though… :)

4. Terri in BC says:

I thought it was great – and you almost had me for a minute! Seriously, some people need to take a chill-pill and rein in their nasty comments. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next year!~

5. debd94 says:

Very funny!

6. Marly Bird says:

I thought it was GREAT! I especially loved the Purvy Crochet!!! SOOO FUNNY!!!

xoxox

7. darski says:

I’m guessing your free patterns are always an April Fools joke. Is there any way to dl the patterns that you appear to offer for free?????

in Crafting forever,
    Darski

1. David says:

I’ve forwarded this comment (zinger) to help@craftsy.com, where they can assist you with any pattern downloading issues. But I assure you that the free patterns on Craftsy are no joke!

8. Laura Neidich says:

Hysterical!!! I also deleted the email from my inbox not realizing it was a prank! Love it!

9. Mynna says:

Def cute and so well done! Some people will get their panties in a bunch about anything. Silly people.

1. Pam Harrison says:

I thought it was delightful, clever…and I “fell” for it out of sheer delight that someone remembered how to “celebrate” April Fools”! THANK YOU, CRAFTSY!! (and I am SO not surprised that some people either didn’t see the joke or chose to be preachy and cautionary… I SO hope you ignore them and continue to have fun with the rest of us Party Lovers!) Remember that the Crazies always outnumber the Party Poops and party-on, Craftsy!

10. stacy says:

I didnt read the description but just saw the picture. it was great!

11. hnjce says:

Very funny. Those who were angered either didn’t get the joke because they can’t think around the corners or they didn’t read beyond the title. Keep it up, everyone needs a giggle now and then.

12. Pamela says:

I laughed… then I got my composure. But then I laughed some more!!

I hope the person who had no sense of humor realizes how silly they sound.

13. Pam says:

You made me LOL with your pasta class. Lets all laugh more and criticize less!

14. Dulcie Fleming says:

I can’t believe that someone would have gotten so angry about that. I thought it was great. Maybe they never do crafts with kids. Maybe they are not a “REAL” crafter at all. A real crafter likes all kinds of crafts, or at least can appreciate them for what they are. Don’t waste your time worring about what this person had to say. Thanks for the laugh. I must say, my niece and I did make the tiara. AND…we had a GREAT time doing it!!!

15. Michelle Channer says:

I thought this was a joke!!! LOL guess I was right but now that I saw the tiara in the trailer….I think I need to make one with my daughter on her craft day!!! how cute is that and cheap!!!

16. Sarah says:

See?! Some people have to be nasty no matter what! Perhaps Darski could have vented someplace more appropriate.
    The prank was hilarious :))

17. Marilyn says:

You have the greatest sense of humor, keep it up. We need more laughter in this world with all the stuff going on. Great!!

18. katrina anton says:

What a funny joke on all of us! I said something to my husband about how rediculous the idea of using pasta was because I used to do day care and that was very common at my house—-good one!!!!! brought back some great memories for me and glad to know it was a JOKE!!!

19. Nancy Elkin says:

When I first saw the pasta class it was like, deja vu. I’ve made lots of pasta crafts with cub scouts when my kids were little!
    Loved the song references and teachers name, you had me wondering until I read that. great April fools joke!

20. Susan Rice says:

That is sooo cute!

21. Cornelia Gauger says:

I LOVED it!

People who are regular internet users should know that you can’t take anything you see on April 1 too seriously.

The pasta crafting took me back to my Brownie days when we took alphabet noodles and spelled out the Brownie promise on gold-painted popsicle sticks.

22. John says:

Very funny and if it caught some people off guard, they need a little”get real” in their lives.

23. heidi says:

ok, i just have to say that my son would LOVE me to make the pasta train. i wonder if i cojuld figure it out for real.

24. Olga says:

Oh Darn I wish now I read through thoroughly, Cause I do find it funny! I just took one look at the title and said what? you got to be kidding? No way. lol.

25. Lori K says:

I LOVED it! Knew what it was pretty quickly…but enjoyed the effort made! I mean…even a video clip!? It was great!!! Really well done! Bravo!

26. Annette says:

I was so confused when I saw the original post! First, I wondered why there would be a craft using pasta on a crochet site! I didn’t really read it or look closely though, and just went on my way.
    Now, reading this, I find it quite funny! Not only because it’s a very creative joke, but because I pretty much fell for it and I like to laugh at myself. Good job.

27. Linda says:

I think some people have forgotten how to lighten up and enjoy life. I am a senor but still have enough child in me to have fun. Thanks for the April Fools joke, what fun.

28. Linda says:

Lol, so sorry, I meant senior.

29. Caryn says:

This was great! I love when such a harmless thing can get people so riled up! It should be a lesson to stop and think before you write. loved it! Keep it up!

30. Evelyn Schwanz says:

Well done!

31. susan says:

I saw it the morning of April 1st and thought what a weird class to offer. LOL
    It never dawned on me that it was for April fools. My son had already got me with a April fools prank just before. So you got me. It is very funny. I agree that some people are a little too tense. When I am on this site I see joy and happiness, I feel bad for people that can’t go through these sites and not relax for a moment and enjoy the beauty.
    Thanks for the great job your doing Craftsy!

32. Zoe says:

This is HOOT. Seriously, lighten UP!! Take it for what it is, APRIL FOOL’S !

33. Connie Boomer says:

As a childrens librarian I have to come up with crafts for various programs. I saw the train and thought “how cute” and thought I might go back and look at the class when I had more time! Joke’s on me!

34. Anita Freeman says:

I know some children that would love making this!!!

35. Pat Col says:

Great april fool’s joke – but that glittery tiara does have my name on it!!!

36. musesmom says:

I am with the crowd who thought it was for real, and deleted the email after reading the first few words and seeing the photo. Never thought it might be an April Fools joke. Now I get it! Nice job! Ya got me!

37. Audrey says:

*laughing* Some people make really good money making art with food. Ever seen anything from Carl Warner “Foodscapes”? I’m pretty sure there was one picture he made of pasta. Fun books – and fun April Fool’s joke!

38. Donna says:

I hate April Fools.

39. Kristin KMB says:

It was very funny. Wish I had watched it earlier but I just deleted it. I did pause to wonder if people really were interested in such a class.

40. Jenny says:

Extremely clever writing. Lovely to see sunshine peeping through on some very cloudy days. I love the pasta truck – my grandson and I will have fun making it!!

41. Bonnie says:

I thought the train was adorable and actually thought, if that class was free, I might sign up, just to make the train. But I didn’t look any further. Now I have to laugh that somone would over-react in that snarky way! If you don’t think you’d like a class, just delete the email and get on with your life!

42. Denise says:

My 5 yr old daughter thinks this is awesome!
    She is SO excited to have the class!! :o)
    April Fools!
    Pretty funny!! :o)

43. Denise says:

Next year you should offer a knitting class using shoestring licorice! :o)
    I actually have a pattern for a tiny sock using it. :o)
    Happy April Fools! :o)

44. shedragon713 says:

awwww! I saved the link hoping to take the class so I could have crafts projects to do with my kids. too bad it’s not real!

45. Mary Grace says:

I missed it somehow on April Fools Day, but what a great joke!

46. Saundra says:

I too thought it was hysterical! Too funny and I remember my young scouting days when we did use pasta to decorate a jewelry box made from a cigar box!

Come on folks, this was just too fun!

Saundra

47. Leslie says:

I’m going to be laughing about this for some time, particularly after reading the “angry” comments. Thanks Craftsy, this was great!

48. Dani Church says:

Wow! I’m glad that was a joke, hahaha!! I didn’t read the whole thing or maybe I would’ve known it was a joke. I just thought to myself, “A pasta crafting class? REALLY?” Good one, guys!!! : D

49. Dawn Hoffman says:

Just had to say you really had me, i thought oh that would be fun to do with the kids, i was a bit disappointed when i realised it wasn’t real but i did laugh. great !!!

50. Karen says:

Ha! That was great! I enjoyed the laugh! Great promo for noodle construction!
    Happy Easter!

51. Linda says:

I really wanted to make the pasta turquiose jewelry! I dyed some beans red one time and strung them back in my hippy days! Very funny video, you had me going for a little while…

52. Camille Romero says:

I thought your Pasta Crafts April Fools joke was absolutely terrific! It was well written and the video was excellently done…I laughed and made my husband watch it…he wanted to take the class! It made me love Craftsy that much more!

53. Jane says:

I loved your idea … I have a 6 y.o. son who is train made … we are actually going to make the train … he is very excited! LOL. I love all crafting ideas for everyone … whoops – I didn’t get the joke – GOT ME! But my son is the real winner! Thank you.

54. Clair Acres says:

I snorted with laughter when I read it.
    Life’s just too short to be too serious.

55. lesbro says:

This is not as funny as it sounds, as nursery children often make past jewellery and pictures here in the UK.

56. Anke says:

I was seriously thinking of signing up that I can do this class with my kids- I am still laughing at myself – this was brilliant!

57. Adri H says:

I loved the pasta crafts April Fool’s joke course and shared it within my knitting group. I knew immediately it was a joke, and thoroughly enjoyed the video, the pasta sculptures, and the writing. Others in the group weren’t sure if it was real or not and thought it was some kind of kitsch-made-cool thing. I thought it was obvious.

58. Jan says:

I laughed so hard when I first opened the email because I read the title and thought “really??? They are doing a pasta jewelry class??” Then I realized the date. I have to say it was one of the better April Fool’s jokes I read on the web that day. I can’t believe some readers get so upset about things like this. To them I say “lighten up” life is much easier when you are happy.

59. Vero says:

It took me a few seconds to realize, then I found it hilarious. I loved every bit of the description and trailer!
    Why is my Ipad behaving madly?

60. Sharon Gepes says:

This was GREAT!!! Such imagination!!! That woman needs to be on medication!!! Get a grip!!!!!!!!!

61. Pat Judd says:

Well, I enjoyed looking at the train. Thought that it might be something to look into later but never got back to reading the rest. Sorry I missed the fun. Think it was a fun idea and I am glad I read the post today about it so I won’t go back looking for a class to use with my grandkids.
    Happy Easter!

62. I realised it was a joke about four line into the email, so I clicked through to see what else there was and ended up crying with laughter. So much writing talent went into what was simply a joke and I thought it was brilliant.

63. Robin says:

When I received the newsletter on April 1, I never gave “April’s Fool’s Day” a thought (especially now that I’m retired). When I saw the class offered, I just went on to reading the rest of the newsletter, skipping that class altogether. My thoughts at the time were something like: strange class, oh well, I’m sure some are into that, or maybe it’s for kids. I’m sorry I didn’t go into the class and see the joke.

64. Kristie says:

I thought it was funny- and I liked and used the discount.

65. Frank Figueredo says:

I almost deleted your email after seeing the pitiful pasta necklace, thinking, “These people will try to take money from anyone!” Glad I didn’t do it.
    You hooked me. Reeled me in with its oddness and made me smile as it continued down the path of serious weirdness. LOL. I still giggle when I think of the pasta tiara! Thanks for creating that perfect April Fools joke.

66. Kay says:

Funny! And the train is kind of adorable for all those Thomas obsessed boys out there.

67. nancy says:

I thought it was hilarious!! Forwarded to my daughters, both of whom are professional artists, who also loved it.

68. Susan says:

RATS! I’m so disappointed it was a joke! :) I want to make one anyway! Like many others, I too deleted the email….not b/c of the subject line…I just get so many that I get delete happy at times. Anyway, it’s great and for those who got their knickers in a twist; next time something makes you crazy….take a deep breath, let it out slowly and then respond! …Geez Loueeze!

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Days!

69. Faye says:

10 out of 10. It was one of a several well done clips I watched that day, and they all made me smile. I especially enjoy watching people overreact before they catch on.

Thanks for the laugh.

70. Stefanie says:

Good humor – people need to lighten up! I thought it was an awesome video – and it did kind of make me want to take the class, even though it was fake!

71. Marlene Stewart says:

Loved it, will be working on all my Christmas presents early. Life is short so get your tiera and have fun. It will go with my daughters 24 “carrot” necklace!

72. Diane says:

I thought it was an actual class, but didn’t click on it as it didn’t interest me. I think perhaps it was just too involved for an April Fool’s Day joke. Obviously a lot of planning went into it and perhaps you just got carried away! It’s funny now, though! LOL

73. K-Line says:

I saw it, but didn’t read it – I did say to my husband, though, “Man, they’re really taking this craft thing too far.” Now that I’ve read this – I think it’s utterly hilarious.

74. Anna says:

I am not big on April Fool’s but I do appreciate a ‘well crafted’ joke. You really used your ‘noodle’. And please do it again. it shows you are thinking of your readers/subscribers and who can fault that.

75. Sue Marsh says:

Absolutely brilliant. Not only was it a wonderful prank, but the crafts were actually quite cute. It is amazing what the creative minds at Craftsy can do given ANY material to work with. Keep it up!!!!

76. Nona says:

I too started out thinking it was a real class. Especially with all the work put into that video and the amount of prep that was done to create the sample pasta projects! But once I got into the text of the class synopsis I could tell it was tongue in cheek. I wasn’t even paying attention to the fact that it was April 1st since it’s been so long since anyone did an April Fool’s joke on me. I’m with everyone else – if the class doesn’t suit you, press delete, move on, have a glass of wine, unbunch the knickers and smile a little. Life’s too short.

77. Susan says:

I thought that this post was very clever … and VERY funny! The crafts are adorable, by the way.

78. Beverly says:

I thought it was a very funny, well crafted bit of writing. Some folks really need to lighten up!

79. BARBARA says:

We’ve a lovely family across the street with 2 little girls; we try once a month to give the mother an “afternoon off.” The April Fool joke kept us busy all afternoon as the pasta became designer creations–would they win prizes? NO, but we all had such fun & the mother had to come retrieve the girls for dinner as we were lost in time. And, they are still wearing some of their ceations to the envy of their friends, As I was reading the “class offering” I thought, “whaaat” then laughed as I realized it was a joke. What a great sense of humor !
    I cannot imagine anyone being so angry——————-

80. sue says:

HYSTERICAL HYSTERICAL HYSTERICAL…….
    . . . especially had me LAUGHING with the following:
    “If you have a mantle or a little remaining square of open shelf space where dust gathers, this class is a must for you. Knickknacks are just so expensive these days – I can’t tell you how life changing it has been for me that I am now able to make them by myself… and out of pasta, no less!
    - Nick K.

My grown sons enjoyed the above comment as well…. Keep those pranks coming!

81. Cathy says:

I loved it! It was the best April Fools joke of the day. Some people need to lighten up and learn to laugh a little. Thank you for the great laugh, and for all of Craftsy. It is wonderful!

82. Sandra says:

Well now….imagine that! I definitly would have looked intot he class as I am always on the lookout for crafts for my 7 year old granddaughter who seems to be the only one I have managed to get passionate about crafting…we are gonna have a blast. I loved the joke and still I sat down to map out the tiara! Too bad you had some people bummed out about the craft class….maybe their noodles are soft? All I know, a true crafter sees things in the world differently from non-crafters. You see a muffin tim? I see a 12 port egg coloring station! You see colored nylon twine at the dollar store? I see jumbo crocheted Christmas Angels (I have 2!) How can you NOT see childrens crafts when you look at PASTA??? As for the commentary and write up about Eleanor Rugby, I felt a little defensive when she wasn’t recognized as one of your “Worls Class Instructors”…didn’t she try hard? Besides, crafting is always about joy, fun and giggles…I love working a pattern with my mother in law in the room and pulling it out in front of her just because I didn’t like “the way it sit”. I drives her nuts! What more fun can a gal ask for? Thanks for the giggles and this wonderful site! I love the ideas and answers and who can complain about the FREE PATTERNS??? Thanks Craftsy for keeping things “real”. Not everyone can use a hook or needles….not everyone is successful with a sewing machine ( as my husband can attest to with my last attempt being summer pants that ended up looking like they belonged to MC Hammer or the Alladin Genie )nooooooooo can’t touch this. I can however figure out anything wit a crochet hook and I am guilty of purvy crochet…boy ladies do I have a pattern for you! hahahahaha…anyway thanks again for reminding us that crafting is a JOY….if it isn’t then maybe some people should take up watchmaking…frustrating but good money! Have a great day all and Happy Waster to everyone!

83. Sandra says:

Dang, I proof read everything and then meant to say Happy Easter but hit the enter before proofreading! DUHHHHHHH!!!

Smile….make everyone wonder what you are up to!!!!!

84. Julie says:

Not only is it clever, but the best part is that in spite of the joke, the crafts you put together are so darn cute. The train, the tiara–even the necklaces are the prettiest pasta. Leave it to Craftsy to up the ante on kindergarten activities, even with tongue in cheek.

85. Ada says:

so funny, so cool!! I am kinda disappointed I don’t get to make the pasta train.

86. Claudia says:

I’m late to the joke. When I saw the promo, I was all set to forward to a friend with children and who chairs the “Food” department at our little local fair. We are always looking for ideas with for the children. Think I will anyway–forward her the link. And it was cute.

87. Frances says:

Humor, to me , is the use of language or storytelling interpretted by an audience for it’s very sake of laughter and or entertainment but when at the expense of personalizing it with your audience will seldom sail with a “funny” impact.

I have never really understood why the crafting world must be filled with bizarre, crazy behaviour and people who expect even more of the same from their industry leaders. It all seems so overblown to me.

Having said all of the above I do appreciate the forum of this humor (reaching out to readers on the Internet) and interpreted the humor as entertainment. I suppose some people just don’t like the impact of a “prank” because it stings no matter what the medium of communication.

88. Frances says:

P.S. I look forward to your weekly newsletter and thoroughly enjoy the content. It is refreshingly unique. Thank you

89. Cathy says:

When I first saw this lesson, I thought oh my gosh, a site just for pre-school teachers. Since I was anxious to learn this month’s free BOM, I just kept going. After reading the whole story, I was relieved and laughed put loud. Thanks, great idea. This idea would really be a great start for children who cannot afford the very expensive Legos!

90. Michelle Villasenor says:

LOL, i thought you were for real ! I made pasta & bean crafts with my kids when they were young and I thought , thats great they are revamping an age old idea :) I didnt read the article because my kids are grown now, wished I had because in reading it now, its quite funny. I dont pay attention to “GRUMPY PEOPLE” ;D

91. Carol says:

The joke was priceless, and SO well-executed! But I’m a little worried about the way we’re piling on against the elderly lady who didn’t get it.

When folks get older and begin to feel less capable than they once did, it’s a difficult adjustment, and a very emotional issue. Even the kindness often shown to older people can be hurtful, in a way — they’re often embarrassed that they NEED the help.

So I can imagine how this woman may have felt when she thought Craftsy might be singling her out for such an elementary project, as if she were no longer skilled enough to do anything more complex or artistic than that.

I suspect that’s the reason for her anger, and I can understand how getting that mistaken impression would have upset her. It’s a shame she didn’t recognize the joke, but there’s no need to insult her for misunderstanding. I’m sure she’s a perfectly nice person who simply got her feelings hurt and lashed out. I think we should reach out to her, not attack her.

1. David says:

Thank you, Carol! And good on you for coming to her defense. She was very gracious in letting us publish the letter, and seemed quite amused to learn when it was a joke.

92. April says:

Yes this was funny! I’m just a bit slow on the uptake lately. lol
    I didn’t watch it until today (8th) I thought it was real at first as we use to make pasta crafts with our grandmothers. And my grands love it too. By the way, I love the train ;-)) I think I will have a craft day with the grands, PASTA craft and glitter ;-P They will love it. Their parents wont, but we will have lots of fun and a good memory. Thanks for reminding me even if it was a funny.

93. Janelle says:

Very cute joke! And I actually love the idea of those pasta crafts.

94. Sherry-Lynn M Loehr says:

Ditto to the other Brownie Leader, we used alphabet noodles lots with Brownies. I laughed when I read the article on April 1, it was the best April Fools prank I got. I am already looking forward to next years.

95. Beverly says:

LOVE IT!

96. Donna DeCourcy says:

It was a very cute idea–I sent it as a “gift” to my daughter, who is stressing over her wedding decorations. It got the message across that life is way too short to stress about ribbon that doesn’t quite match. It is people and relationships that matter, and from the overwhelmingly positive remarks from this crafting community–we know this to be true. Well done!

97. AR Grover says:

Oh wow, I guess I missed yet another holiday.. pasta train cute but would not last a day at my house- might be good for christmas though-
    phyic- april 1st is my favorite day not!
    I think you did well and I hope you were able to sign up a lot of people for classes with the discount- I missed it though as I was too busy making crafts and stuff. :)

98. GJanette says:

I even replayed it twice just to make sure y’all were kidding and I couldn’t actually learn it. (I’m a super dork and would have actually worn the jewelry!) Completely fun idea. Thanks for all the work you put into the joke. A LOT more fun than just handing us a 50% off coupon!

99. Marcia says:

You got me.
    Thought the train was cute, but definitely not my thing so deleted with only a glance

100. Maribell Riley says:

Oh bother, I deleted it thinking it was aimed at mums and teachers, I do hate missing a good joke, well done!!

101. Traci B says:

D’oh! *headpalm* Saw the photo and the opening sentence, thought y’all were offering the class for moms with little kids, remembered my own mac craft days as a child in day camp and Girl Scouts, and moved on without reading far enough to realize it was a prank. Well done! The best pranks are the ones that aren’t obvious right away. :)

By the way, the train and tiara both are cute. If I had children, I might do those with them…

102. Mary says:

You completely had me! In fact I didn’t know it was a joke until a friend of mine told me it was. I’ve always been told I was gullible. Guess that’s the truth! When I thought it was a real class, I figured, “different strokes for different folks” and deleted the e-mail. Now that I know it was a joke, I have to agree with all who said it was brilliant writing. That’s for sure!

103. pilercat says:

It was hilarious. I’m still laughing about Purvy Crochet. You guys just have too much fun!

104. LJ says:

My first reaction when I received the April 1 email was: “You’ve got to be kidding!” AND, little did I know, you were kidding!! My subsequent reaction was: “To each his own.” I followed that by deleting. I’m glad to know it was just an April Fool’s joke. I’ve enjoyed reading and seeing the trailer today as much as I might have on April 1. I think this shows that there are “real” people (who also have a sense of humor) working at Craftsy. Keep up the great work!

105. Tamera says:

Who said this is a joke? I was very excited to learn a new craft that’s actually easy and so versitile! Great video! Great fun! Forget diamonds…..Seriously! How could anyone not love a macaroni tiara?? Hehe

106. Audrey says:

I saw it, read it, dismissed it without considering it might be an April Fools joke. It was well written and I did get a smile at the idea of cooking the pasta. I suspect I might have twigged that it was a joke if I hadn’t seen pasta jewellery-making for kids … that and the fact that school holidays started this weekend over here in South Australia so of course this sort of thing is being advertised as a school holiday activity …. though not by Eleanor Rugby as far as I know…!!!!

107. homewerk says:

I’m so relieved it was an April Fools joke! I saw the class and thought “no way” but didn’t pursue because I was too excited about Susan Khalje”s Couture Sewing and Kenneth King’s Jean-ius classes. Thank heavens there’s a craft site with wit, humor, and CRAFT!

108. Martyne says:

I thought it was great! My daughter’s birthday is on April 1 and I have a history of terrorizing her on her special day! I just wish I had sent the link of your Pasta class to her. She has 3 little ones of her own now, it would have been perfect.

109. Kathy Haas says:

I thought it was hysterical! BUT, there are Elementary teachers that would LOVE to take this class for new ideas -the train rocks!

110. Diane Mettam says:

Loved the video, although Eleanor’s last name is spelled R-I-G-B-Y. Very clever, and I couold see myself in that tiara. Too bad for those who don’t have a sense of humor. But where, or where, is the discount code?

1. David says:

Thanks, Diane! I believe that was a purposeful twist om the Beatles song. (Perhaps it was funny overall, but a flop in terms of the the name we chose.)

111. I was sitting home worrying about a surgery scheduled for the following day. This well “crafted” April fool’s day joke was just what I needed to lighten my mood. Thanks so much for a good laugh!

112. Genevieve says:

I thought it was hysterical. :) Such funny puns!! Thanks for the good laugh.

Genevieve

113. Jaybird says:

I must admit, you got me! I exclaimed to my husband & son, “I can’t believe this class that Craftsy is offering! It’s on making macaroni necklaces!” My son said, “Mom, what’s today?” Then the 3 of us had a great time reading the description. My husband, being a big Beatles fan, noticed the instructor’s name right away. I sent the email to 2 of my friends asking if they wanted to take the class with me. Neither one got it, even after I told them to watch the video. Granted they only watched the first part of the video and decided pasta crafting was not for them. Great joke!!! We all need a good laugh now and again. Keep up the good work!

114. Laura says:

I had to read it twice and then realized it was a joke! But really, there are some seriously un-funny crafters out there. Here’s a tip: Lighten up! You will live much longer.

115. Carole K says:

I laughed, then wondered if it was a joke, then laughed again. However, what’s funnier still, is the angry comments–Not enough coffee in the morning! thanks for the creativity!

116. Brenda Thomas says:

You can tell I’m a newbie to Craftsy because you got me!
    I didn’t open it on April 1st so I wasn’t thinking joke. I actually left it in my email to come back to later . When I got back to it I decided to send it to my teacher friends because the idea of different pasta crafts that aren’t necklaces is appealing. Well…. After I sent it to my friends I figured you never know when you’re going to need a new pasta idea so I clicked to join the class and you got me again! Boy was my face red and I had to fess up to my friends. If I hadn’t seen the video and the great train and tiara ideas I would have been none the wiser.
    I am a very Craftsy person and am currently making brooches and hair band flowers recycling those plastic grocery bags and colorful food bags in crochet for my fundraiser at our Relay for Life walk on the 20th.
    Great joke Craftsy! I

117. DCSusan says:

Tooooooooo funny! I skim newsletters so quickly, I saw the Pasta Crafts announcement and moved right on without thinking. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, this is hysterical. I’m already looking forward to next year’s April Fool – you’ve set yourself a high bar with this one!

118. I think it is just an amazing piece. Funny or a flop, it made me smile. So I say it is a success!

119. Barbara says:

Made my day. A laugh a day keeps the Prozac away:)

Some people need to loosen up a little – I think I heard that from a knitting instuctor:)

120. Linda King says:

I thought it was hilarious!! Well Done!!

121. Lisa Faust says:

I did read it on April 1st & like a few other comments, I thought “Whattttt??” I kept reading, thinking,”this is too weird!!” Definitely caught on with the Eleanor Rugby part & couldn’t wait to read the rest……I just HAD to click cautiously on the class sign-up to see what would happen……afraid something would explode on the screen!! Excellent job & yes, so creative!!! I had lots of fun reading all of these comments too!

122. Sally says:

At first glance I thought, Boy I wish I was still teaching preschool, these pasta projects are way more advanced than what my former students did,,,,, Then I realized it was April 1st. Great way to celebrate April Fools Day. By the way I taught early childhood class for years and it is alright to make projects out of food!! the children were always told that after the art project was finished they would get to make and eat the ingredients , it was always their favorite thing to do.

Keep up the great newsletters and classes, real and make believe!!!!!

123. Michele says:

Given the date, I knew it was a joke from the get-go, but I played along and was very, very impressed at the extent you went through to mold the “class” into your regular style. It was hilarious, very well-done and must’ve taken you guys a lot of time and preparation to pull it off. I think you can see now, from all of these comments, that it was an overwhelming success and brought joy to many, many people (although maybe later for some than others).

Thank you for what you do – and THANK YOU for the discount! Keep up the great work!

124. susan swayngim says:

I thought it was very clever! And convincing! If my kids were still that age I may have taken the class :) We used to do all sorts of goofy crafts…but the all time favorite was “goo goo goggles” that we made from egg cartoons and pipe cleaners. My kids are 35+ years old and still talk about those silly things! So…there is value in crafts that are “childish.” A day of fun and laughter with my kids…memory that has stood the test of time…absolutely priceless!!!

Thanks for the joke :)

125. EBH says:

I thought it was really funny! It was obviously so different from the classes you usually offer.
    I just hope the Negative Nelly’s read this, so that maybe they can examine why, exactly, they spent so much time reacting and not thinking when they wrote those comments. I mean, complaining on the internet is a waste of time, especially when you don’t take the time to think about what you’re complaining about first.

126. margaret says:

You got me fair and square. I took a look at the “offering” and decided I wasn’t interested and then went on to the next article. Forty years ago I was doing macaroni crafts, but not any more. Since I’m not familiar with any of your instructors, I didn’t catch the “Eleanor Rugby” clue and since I didn’t read the message on 4/1, I didn’t catch the date clue.
    Funny? Maybe.
    Flop? It depends.

127. Carolyn says:

FUNNY!! I cannot believe I missed opening this email – I could have used a laugh. Even funnier are the comments from people who thought the class was serious!
    I cannot wait to see what you do for next year.

128. Michelle McCrillis says:

The fact that I’m commenting four days later on an e-mail received over the weekend about an e-mail sent a week before that should indicate that I don’t really have time for spoofs on April Fools or any other day. I saw the original pasta post and screamed by it (it may still be in my inbox for me to go back to for my g’daughter, though). Honestly, I can see both sides of this. A lot of us work too many hours to have this sort of what I’d call spam come into my inbox to read. I have enough of that as it is. Was it funny? I may never know, since I may no longer have it available to read. Those of you who have time for this, fine, but right now a lot of us are drowning in e-mail at home and at work (I have over 300 e-mails to read in my personal e-mail because I haven’t been able to read for several days). It was cute, at least the small part I saw, but when you are soliciting people to pay for on-line classes, it is a little out of line to offer a spoof class to people who may purchase it and come back to it later only to later find it wasn’t real. This is one reason that I will open, skim fast and delete anything not of interest to me. And mind you, I used to love reading Art Buchwald’s editorial humor, especially when I didn’t look at the by-line and read them as straight news.

1. David says:

Thanks for your thoughts! A clarification, though: viewers were not able to actually “buy” the class. If they tried to, they were presented with a box that offered them a happy April Fools Day and a discount. We would never actually taken people’s money in service of the joke. Again, thank for your thoughts!

129. JMixx says:

Maybe for next year the class could be, “Knitting with Dental Floss: Cinnamint Socks.”

I like a good April Fool’s Day joke, as long as it’s not overtly mean. Good job! :-)

130. I love Craftsy! How charming to have so much encouraged personality on one site! I must admit that I was a bit confused by your pasta jewelry class but thought “maybe someone wants to know????” Apparently I missed the joke. So glad to figure out that the joke was on me! You guys crack me up!!!

131. artlikebread says:

Okay. I’m changing my blog name to Art, Like Pasta. :D
    When I got the email, it reminded me of the high-end pasta jewelry I’d heard about on CraftyPod years ago. (Yes, I’m serious.) So I fell for it! Link: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/01/craftypod_pasta_crafting.html
    It was a great joke. My favorite part is the picture of the little girl putting on the pasta tiara and frowning with the caption “Kids Love It!” Too funny!
    Crafts are supposed to be fun, so whatever class you want to offer (and whatever joke you want to make), go for it! Naysayers need not take the class. Is it really that hard to just ignore an email for a craft you don’t like?