Extraordinary Seven-Year Old Seeks To Quilt for Kids in Need

Meet Maddie. She’s seven years old, and while her birthday in April will bring her to the fresh young age of eight, her grandmother Nancy likes to say she’s going on 25. After a couple of us here at Craftsy spoke with her on the phone a few days ago, we couldn’t agree more. After all, we hardly know any seven-going-on-eight year olds who can finish a quilting project from start to finish all by herself. Rarer still are those seven-going-on-eight year olds who want to make even more quilts for the sole purpose of donating them to people in need. But then, this is Maddie; and she’s pretty extraordinary.

Maddie, and her first quilt!

Seeing her latest project, you might think she’s been quilting for a while. But, really, she’s relatively new, having only started this past holiday season. But her reasoning was really pretty simple. As Nancy explains, “Maddie reasoned that if she can chop onions well, then she should certainly be able to use a sewing machine.”

Maddie’s suspicions were correct. She had a natural talent for it, and soon wanted to do a project of her own. But with Maddie’s grandmother on a fixed income, they didn’t have a deep stash to dive into. So Maddie went out and collected cans of food for a food drive. “For every can, the local fabric shop would give you a fat eighth,” Nancy explained. With that, Maddie got what she needed for her project.

“I never made a quilt before” Maddie told us. “I had sewn things like a pillow. But it's really fun to do,” she said. Between Grandma’s pointers (she’s dabbled in quilting since 2002), and some Craftsy classes, she soon got the hang of it. “I didn't know how to do all that stuff like the binding. It was kind of hard to understand all of it before the Craftsy classes,” she told us.

With that, she was off and running, stitching in the ditch, decoratively stitching, and perfecting her techniques. And we do mean perfecting: “She's very much a perfectionist. She pushes herself to make sure it's just right,” Nancy says. “She'll rip something out and restart it if it’s not perfectly straight.”

Nancy was so impressed by her granddaughter’s project, she snapped a picture and sent it to family, friends, and Craftsy. Within minutes, the picture was circulating around Craftsy HQ, with the whole staff marveling at the wonderful project by the talented seven-year old. Meanwhile, family and friends had taken notice. Maddie and her quilt were even featured on the closed circuit television broadcast at her school. “Everyone thought it was very neat, and they really liked it. They said it was really good," Maddie said of the school’s reaction.

We reached out to Nancy and Maddie to send our congratulations and words of encouragement, expecting little more than a nice conversation. That’s when we learned even more about this incredible young crafter, and came away wanting to help.

Nancy explained that they are considering a charitable foundation or organization. Maddie loves to make quilts, but she doesn’t want to keep them for herself. Her motivation is simple: “I want to donate quilts to help kids. If someone is in a crash or a fire, it will help them to not be scared. If they end up without a house, it will keep them warm. It will make them feel better,” she told us.

Maddie is thinking about calling it Quilted Hugs From Maddie. And she and Nancy are already in the midst of their next project: a quilt with all of Maddie’s classmates’ handprints on it (along with their names). The theme of the quilt is anti-bullying, and when it is finished, the quilt will be auctioned to raise money for Maddie’s school, in the mountains of Tennessee.

One roadblock to getting Quilted Hugs From Maddie off the ground is that, as Nancy explains, they need the fabric. They’ll get a little help at an upcoming Quilting Club of America retreat, at which Maddie will be the only child. Some of the other attendees have promised to bring some of their fabric so that Maddie can start some new projects.

But, as they point out, it can be tough building up a large stash on a small budget. And the way Nancy sees it, Maddie might want to quilt for the benefit of others, but Maddie herself is benefitting, too. “This has been huge for Maddie's self-esteem and maturity,” Nancy says. “It’s been a great builder for her growth and personal development.”

As for Maddie, what she gets out of quilting is pretty simple. “I feel happy,” she says.

If you’d like to help Maddie keep quilting for kids, send your donations to:

Quilted Hugs from Maddie
PO Box 2461
Cleveland, TN 37320-2461

If you have any questions for them, please contact them at: Quilted_Hugs_from_Maddie@yahoo.com

Samantha King

Yay for Maddie! You don’t even know it, but you’re a source of inspiration…….don’t let anyone keep you from fulfilling your dreams, sweetheart!

Sue Peterson

Maddie:

Please let mw know your favorite colors and I will send you some fabric.

Debra Palmer

What a wonderful article on such a caring, compassionate young girl. She is learning some of life’s lessons, that some people never get. She is fortunate to have a grandmother that is willing to spend the time and encourage her. Her support from the community is wonderful.
Keep up the great job you are doing Maddie!

Nicole Collins

Maddie,

Sometimes interior decorators as well as other shops that have fabric samples(furniture restorers, dress shops, etc) will actually throw away their sample books. My Grandmother and I used to get tons of fabric to make patch work pillows with from going around and asking the store owners if they would give the sample books to us instead of just throwing them away. I wish I had known of this little project about 3 months ago. We just donated boxes and boxes of fabric to the local DAV. Good luck and happy Quilting. Also another idea for making people feel comfortable and helping out would be making what is called a cough pillow. After abdominal surgery often times it hurts when people cough and hospitals will sometimes give out cough pillows that the patients hold to their abdomens when they cough relieving some of the pain. I know my Grandpa really loved his. Also you might want to put an ad on craigslist and even see if you could put up a flyer in your local craft/ quilt shop so that people could donate their unused stashes.

Mary Blake

What some of her favorite colors of fabric ? Would love to share fabric or thread and etc. What is she in need of ? Thanks Margie

David

Definitely no limit or restrictions. Anything you’d provide would be so generous of you!

janis callaway

since I live in Tennessee, would it be possible to make donations directly to Maddie?

David

Thanks so much! However, for privacy reasons, we cannot disclose her address, contact information, etc.

Jean

Good for Maddie! I know a couple of other Grandmas that have taught their young granddaughters to quilt too. Hope this story encourages even more to sew! If everyone that sees this story sends just one fat quarter, Maddie will be well on her way.

Debra Palmer

What a wonderful girl. It’s great that she wants to give to others. That is an important lesson, that some people never get. I love the way her community is standing behind her and giving her encouragement. What a lucky girl to have a grandmother that is willing to spend time with her and to teach her a skill that she will be able to use for the rest of her life. Way to go Maddie!

Lorraine (Lorry) Kirschner

I will be sending Miss Maddie some fabric…and love and appreciation for who she is. She obviously has wonderful family influences. Our children “learn” to be generous and considerate…it is not a quality they are just born with. Congratulations to her family for the person Miss Maddie is, and will be as she grows into an amazing person…Someday, we may be seeing Maddie as a world leader, and certainly a humanitarian,. She will be a wonderful example for her peers- as she is now. Go Maddie!!!! Hmmm….maybe we will see “MADDIE FOR PRESIDENT” You never know 🙂
~Hugs Maddie~

Lara

Any chance of setting up a Paypal donation kinda thing? Would love to help Maddie out but I’m on the other side of the world so sending the fabric might not be practical 🙂

David

Thanks so much! However, we are not setup to handle any monetary donations on their behalf. However, if they are reading this and have any inclination to set something up independent of Craftsy, they can, of course, let you know.

Chi Chi Rundquist Ward

Maddie is angel….literally!….such a special little girl. I have a crochet business, but I also sew…haven’t for years tho & now my sewing machine doesn’t work so well. Since I’m so busy crocheting all the time, I haven’t made anything on the sewing machine for some time. I have been tackling my basement & trying to get it organized. Seriously, just yesterday I heard of this little girl when I was tell someone about my basement cleaning project & all the fabric I found! I’m talking about yards of some of it. I had no idea what I was going to do with all of it, but now I do. I will have to go through it & see how much there is to send, but I’m sure it’s going to be a big box. Thank you for this wonderful story! Maddie, you are a wonderful little girl…truly an angel. Looking forward to donating my fabric to her great cause!

Ginny Perrine

Is there a time limit on when you need to recieve items for mattie? I think it is wonderful that she is taking such an interest. Sewing was a dying thing for awhile. i am so glad to see it coming back and wish more young peole would get inspired.

David

No time limit at this point. but we will update the post when/if we do. Thanks!

Jane N Porter

Wonderful girl..I learned to love quilting at about her age, have started back again since retirement..I have lots of scraps & fabric..will send a package very soon.. Hope she can use scraps as well as larger pieces of fabric..Good luck with your venture, you are a special girl with a special gift..

dawnie

I have big bag of scraps and was wanting to donate those….it will probably take 3 boxes….also..a suggestion..maybe the local quilt store that Maddie goes to in tennese would accept the donations for Maddie from the lady in tennese ..that way Maddie keeps her privacy but would get the donation? Just a suggestion.

David

We have updated the address with their PO Box. Thanks so much!

Marilyn

Good for you Maddie …… Keep it up!!
and your fist quilt is Beautiful ~~~

Pecan Sally

Wow what a wonderful opportunity for others to reach to help a budding new quilter..
I am blessed to live in Arvada, Co. so I can’t wait to gather some of my materials to share with her. I am hoping it will be okay to drop the material off at the above address . If so instead of paying for postage I can get some more material… I am new at quilting but my Mother was a great quilter & seamstress. I have been so blessed by God since moving out here almost 2 years ago and always looking for a way to give back to the community. A group at our church makes blankets & quilts for the pregnancy crisis center.. God bless Maddie in her cause to rally for those who are in need.

Janice King

What about gift cards to a fabric store that is close to her?

Susan Hyder

Gift cards for Maddie are available at my shop contact me as needed 423-715-2908

MaryAnn Hardwick

Maddie – I am so touched by your generous heart and by your Grandma’s as well. Postage from Canada is very expensive. I will ask about sending a US Money Order through this site. Keep up your good work – I can imagine the kind of woman you will grow up to be. Many many encouraging hugs……

To Whom It May Concern: Could I send a US money order or cheque to you so you could send the funds on to Maggie?

David

Unfortunately, we are not set up to accept money on behalf of Maddie, but if you send anything to us for her, it will be sent along to them

Sue

If you go to the thrift shops where they sell things for a 1 or whatever they charge at the econd hand store. use Flat sheets for backing that is alot cheaper, look for scrap material there that’s How I started when I had nothing, but the furniture store is a great way to collect crap fabircs from their swatches, I have some too and they are great. But old sheets and flat sheets that are cotton or flannel really help start your stash. Good luck little one and if I have any i will send some!

Bonnie Alexander

Maddie,
Quilts For Kids, an organization up in Pennsylvania, will send you all the fabric you can do. All you do is contact them at Quiltsforkids.com and they will send you the fabric, then you make the quilt, send it back to them, and they will send you another fabric for a quilt. My mother in law in Texas is constantly making quilts for them.

Keep up the good work!!!
Bonnie in Colorado Springs, CO

Shelly Sanderlin

Great suggestion. But it’s actually quiltsforkids.org (though there is a quiltsforkids.com site). Click through to see all the beautiful faces of the children with their lovely quilts.

Laurie Miller

The only concern I would have in directing her to Quilts For Kids is that they only will accept quilts that have been machine quilted. Maybe if her grandma is willing to help her do that part. But I know for myself (and I am 47), I do not have the patience or the skills necessary to do machine quilting on my regular sewing machine. So I end up having to send things out and that obviously gets to be a super huge expense!! I wish that Quilts For Kids would just allow people to sew the tops and then send them back and then they would forward them to people who are able and willing to do the machine quilting part of the project. I know that I would be more willing and able then to make more quilts but I am not working right now so machine quilting is just an extra expense that I cannot afford.

Anyway, good luck Maddie!! I will see what I have that I can come up with here that would be usable for you. It is encouraging to hear that there are still people who are willing to help others who are less fortunate. You are truly an inspiring young girl and you and your grandma should be very proud.

Carol Bowers

Laurie, do a search and you will find directions for quilt as you go, and it is all done on machine., one square at a time, then join them into a row and then join rows together. I am just starting to quilt, but my sister in law who quilts is going to start doing it that way, and almost any pattern can be done that way, The reason, the cost of having a top quilted.

Carol Romack

Two yrs. ago I sewed for Quilts for Kids. I didn’t machine quilt so they did send me the materials to make the tops & send them back, then they sent them on to others who did machine quilting. Maybe they don’t do that anymore? The last I heard they were having trouble getting the free materials.

Jennifer Byers

What a phenominal, bright and talented child! I always have remnents of fabric as I am a sewer myself that I can forward. My only question though is that (I am not a quilter this is why I ask) are tweeds, herringbones, and heavy woven fabrics ok? They are ver warm, and may make for a good quilt for those in need. Please let me know. Thanks.

Beth

What a special little girl. I will be happy and proud to donate some fabric from my stash. I am an avid sewer and have just started quilting. It really warms my heart to hear about a family that cares enough to #1-teach a little girl a skill that she will have for the rest of her life and #2-encourage her to help others who are in need. Way to go Maddie!!

Miss Kim

I praise God for Maddie and her family for raising such a fine young lady. Maddie your first quilt is beautiful. You are truly a blessing. I hope other young girls will be inspired to learn quilting and give back to the community. I am so happy to see there are young girls that are still interested in sewing. I am an avid quitler myself and can’t wait to go thru my stash to send you some of my fabric. Keep up your awesome work. You are going to make many, many people very happy.

Mary j Fuhrman'

Please keep us updated on little Maddie. We are all very proud of this little girl and we would like to see more of her quilts. She is a little angle and this old world can certainly use a lot more of them. Go Maddie go!!!!!!!!!!

susan goddard

I too, do charitable quilts & I have boxes of material but I did not buy it all. We have a little town newspaper and I took out an ad for people if they wish to help make the quilts or donate the fabric. Well, I still have material coming in. I donot think I will ever run out. So, Maybe Maddie or her grandmother could do this or the newspaper do an article on her. She is to be commended for what she is doing. MNay God Bless her and her Grandmother in her efforts. Susan

susan goddard

I forgot to add I live in Canada or I would send her some material. Keep up the great work!

Debbie Hart

I too started to sew at a young age and your story has truly touched my heart, I am sending you some fun kid fabric and hope it will help you spread the joy, You are one vary awesome young lady, God Bless you in all you do Hugs from me {:)

Teresa

What a wonderful Grandma! Maddie you are such an inspiration!

evelyn

hi maddie you sound just like me. i have been sewing,knitting,baking from the age of 5.just getting a knitting and natter club going with my careing freinds.i am 70 plus now. and have lots of fun crafting with my grand children. lots of crafting evelyn x

Eileen Pitt

Well done young lady you and your grandma should be very proud of yourselves it is always heartening to hear of young people who think of others less fortunate than themselves and ! It’s an excellent hobby you will enjoy your whole life x

Debbie Wear

I wish I had something to donate to this thoughtful young lady! Could you let me know what fabric stores are in her area so I may send a gift card for her, perhaps she’d like to go and pick out some fabric and notions herself! The stores around me are Jo-Ann’s, Hancock’s, Michael’s and Hobby Lobby. Thanks!!

Rosemary Tropea

I have made quilts for Quilts for Kids, and it is SUPER easy. Your only cost is return postage, and the patterns are simple. Plus other kids will really appreciate that another kid made their quilt. If you have a chapter near you, you can find it on their website and all the quilts you make will stay in your area. I will personally send you some fabric to start out with. I hope Maddie takes advantage of the time she has with her grandmother in the wonderful world of quilting that Maddie has. It’s a special kind of love that is built into every quilt, and she has it!

Diane Becker

proud of you my granddaughter is 6 and wants to learn to sew too I learned from grandmom and mom on a old singer machine when I was 6yrs too

Alexandra

This really makes me smile! As a youngish (new) mother and quilter, I’m so happy to see someone even younger take up the sewing machine and woman the pedal! 🙂 I’m the Programs Coordinator for the Portland Modern Quilt Guild and I will be passing this little story on to our 100+ members! I’ve got a collection of abandoned blocks that I’ll be sending along with some fabric and possibly some notions too. Keep up the awesome work Ms. Maddie, I hope you know that there are a bunch of ladies all over the country (world!) that are proud of your generous spirit and go-getter attitude! Never let anyone change that about you!

<3 Alexandra

Nerida

What a wonderful inspiration Maddie and her grandmotehr are.

Being someone who does charity quilts on a tight budget, I find it relatively easy to collect fabric scraps. The more difficult thing when things are really tight is purchasing the wadding, backing fabric and actualy finishing the quilts off. So ladies please consider sending wadding and threads as well.

As a beginner quilter there are all the other notions as well that Maddie and her grandmother might appreciate. If you can make a larger donation, try everything you need for one small quilt – say layer cake/charm pack, cordinated backing fabric wadding, binding and thread. Maybe one of your beginner pattern books for inspiration if they a sitting around collecting dust.

Go Maddie!

Rebecca Barclay

Maddie, you are an inspiration, keep sewing, keep giving, keep sharing. I am going to share your story at my craft group and inspire all my ladies. God Bless

Glory

This wonderful young lady inspires me in 2 ways..I’m a new quilter with a 7 yr old granddaughter who wants to learn quilting..so I wil teach her as I learn..and she is always drawing pictures(patterns) of what she thinks could make a quilt…so I’ll nuture her artistic/design interests as well

Gayla

Wonderful story, I started sewing and quilting at age 5. Helping her is a great idea. I wonder if she would accept an earth friendly solution and use used clothing. Inexpensive material and an abundance of it at thrift stores. Quilting was originally from scraps of fabric left over from sewing clothes and then clothes no longer being used.

Lorelei

Places that sell high end bedding and curtains etc. usually have old sample books. They’d be just the right amounts for what she’s looking for. Its so wonderful to hear about great, caring, loving, giving children. They don’t get nearly enough press. All your wonderful giving will come back to you Maddie. And your philosophy on sharing with others … that’s the creed we all should be living by. Out of the mouths of babes there is wisdom.

Lita

I mailed a package yesterday c/o Craftsy, so I hope Maddie gets the fabric!!

Angie

Here’s a website that Maddie may be able to ‘hook-up’ with. carebags4kids.org The founder was a child when she started her non-profit. They are very quick to respond to questions and may be able to guide her in acheiving her goals. Another way she may get some help is by obtaining a 501C status and requesting donations from local businesses. The place I work for regularly contributes to local nonprofits. I will be sending Maddie some material from home as well as scouring the local stores for some she may be able to use. WAY TO GO MADDIE!!

Karen

Maddie, I am on vacation right now for a couple of weeks but as soon as I get home I will send you a parcel of fabric. I have more than I know what to do with having collected so much over the years and I can’t think of a better place for it to go.

Karen Hause

I will put a package together today! You are an amazing young lady..keep up the good work!

Ann Williams-Maughan

WOW Maddie, you are an inspiration. If you can do at just seven there’s hope for me. I’ve always wanted to learn to knit and crochet.

Gma Sharon

Maddie, you are doing something that will give you great rewards. Maybe you or your family have some clothes you no longer use. You could cut up the good parts and have a good stash. Blue jeans make great quilts, back the denim with old flannel shirts and have a two layer quilt.

Carolyn

I started to crochet at Maddie’s age and have been doing so ever since. (30+ years now) However I also learned to sew when I was 11. I have a good stash of fabric and batting, but have not used any of it for years. Please be on the look out for a box or two from New Jersey with my blessings! Keep on Quilting!

Angie

I’m in the UK and I think this is wonderful I will be sending so fabric to Maddie. I hope all go’s well for this little girl with the very BIG heart way to go Maddie.

Jean Moore

Maddie you are AMAZING!!!
God bless you!!
Reading about your efforts has made me inspired ( was in a bit of a low place) you are an amazing, caring, loving young lady & I hope when my small donation of fabric arrives from Australia you will be able to incorporate it into one of your quilts.
May your work bring happiness & joy to folk along the way.
Love & hugs Jean xx

Karen

You go Maddie! I have a grand daughter Maddie and I’ve been teaching her to sew and quilt, we have so much fun together. We’ll dig into the stash, and the special Magic Box of fabric that Maddie loves to dig into, furs, animals prints, lots of fun stuff. I will share your inspiring story with her. Happy Quilting

Kathy

Great job, Maddie! I have batting that I will send you. Keep doing what you love!

Janet

I have some fabric that will be coming your way. You are amazing!

Tina

What a wonderful sorry and great job Maddie!!! I wish we had more people like you in the world, people who care and are unselfish, it would be such a better place. For someone so young, you are so inspirational, thank you and keep up the good work!

Grandmother Carolyn

What a wonderful story – Kudos to Grandma, to Maddie – and now to the many readers who have indicated their desire to add to the “stash” – I hope Ms. Maddie isn’t overwhelmed with too much fabric! Perhaps her school/teachers/other-grandmothers can put together a sewing/quilting program to pass this along and pay-it-forward! I have read about such a school program in the past – the students planned, designed, stitched, etc. quilts which were then auctioned off to raise money for the school…………………………Sending my prayers for continued inspiration and success to these charming ladies, Maddie and her Grandmother.

barbara butler

your very lucky maddie to have so many people looking out for you and wishing you the best. at your sweet tender age when you could be out playing, your inside quilting with the intent of helping and giving to others. what a special child you are maddie.

MrsB

I’ll do by part in posting this article to my Knitter’s group, where many of us are also quilters and have boxes of stash fabrics. And to my Facebook account where the word is global. Good luck to Maddie and her grandma as they embark on this worthwhile journey! I bet they will receive boxes and boxes of donated fabrics for their projects.

Nancy Moore

HI! I am Nancy. My claim to fame is I am “MADDIE”S” grand mother. First off Maddie and I would like to thank everyone for the responses to her article. Her second quilt made jointly with me consisted of tracing the hands of her classmates and their signatures. It was a big hit at the school.
For those asking about colors, Maddie’s favorite color is pink, the hotter the better. Quilted Hugs needs fabrics, batting, notions, quilt tops ( we will get them finished..Maddie did machine quilt her own quilt!) and completed quilts that she could include with her donations.
Anyone who desires to make quilts for Maddie’s project (be it one quilt or a thousand) are very welcome. Maddie’s email is Quilted_Hugs_from_Maddie@yahoo.com. The local quilt store who is able to arrange for gift cards for Maddie’s use is Hyderhangout.com
Other national stores that are near us are Hobby Lobby, Joann’s Fabrics and Hancock’s.

Again thank you to the Craftsy team for this article. Maddie and I are currently working on our second online class on quilting and highly recommend any of their classes. WE love the idea we can go back to any particular lesson at any time. I set the laptop up right next to sewing machines and we can follow along on techniques that we are new for us, or when we want to try a different method.
Nancy & Maddie

Bonnie Ward

Hello Maddie,
I have been making quilts for people with cancer and I know how they are treasured. The first one I did was for a friend and I to added hand tracings with names and made paper pieced hearts, some with pockets for messages or little gifts. We had the family rite messages on the quilt and co- workers did the same on the back. I love the feeling of making someone feel better and to give them something to hold onto in trying times. It gives the families something to hold after that was treasured by the owner of the quilt. I guess it is playing it forward…when you do something for someone else with nothing expected in return, except the feeling you get when they see it smile and that you have made their day just that much better.
I have been doing crafts since I have been 5 years, knitting, crocheting, and embroidery and so on. I have been sewing for years and have been quilting for 20 years. I have been doing the quilts that I give away for 4 years now.
I’m going to send a special package so that you can see my hearts with pockets and know how they are made.
Keep your dream alive of being able to send quilts to those in need. You are truly an amazing person and I can only imagine how proud your parents and your grandma is..
Dream, Love, Believe in yourself and the world will be yours to discover.
Hugs and Happy quilting
Bonnie

Carolyn Rose

Hi Maddie,whta a wonderful little girl you are.I have posted to you a parcel with some fabric in from New Zealand.I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.Happy stitching.
Carolyn

Doris

Mattie…..You are awsome…..Your Grandmother has to be a wonderful lady also…..Treasure the time that you get to spend with your Grandmother…….You are making beautiful memories…..You are forming a beautiful path into you future….and will continue doing good things for others…….That is a great way to live….Much love is coming your way…

Doris

Sorry Maddie, I goofed and didn’t spell you name right…..I have a Mattie that lives down our street …….Try to get it right next time……Luv Doris

Mary (Sweeetie47)

OMG, Maddie, you are an angel!!!! Keep up the wonderful work and I’m very proud to know someone sooooo special and caring!!!!!

Beth Giard

Maddie,
Congratulations and best wishes to you! Keep up the awesome work. We are happy to have you as a “fellow” quilter. So much joy to give to others less fortunate than you.
I am teaching my 6 year old grandson to quilt. He is working on his first quilt and really enjoys it too!

Becky

Maddie, you are an inspiration to grownups as well as young children. It is hard to find people who have taken to heart the needs of others. Keep up the good work, and God Bless You!

LYNNETTA HAINES

I am teaching my grand-daughters (6,7 & 10) to sew and quilt just as me and my sister were taught by our grandmother. I shared Maddies story with the girls and we will be sending her some supplies chosen by them.

SUE REIFSCHNEIDER

How great it makes my heart feel to know that we still have some young children out there that are compassionite to others. I was begining to wonder. I’m sure she has parents & grandparents who are also careing. “You Go Girl”. What you sow you will reap.

Nancy Moore

Maddie was so excited to receive 4 packages today and an envelope with gift card. We read all your messages each night before bedtime prayers. She is excited as 10 people have used her email and written to her there. We truly appreciate all the good wishes, prayers and those who can donate. You are all so kind. Any questions feel free to contact us at Quilted_Hugs_from_Maddie@yahoo.com.
Thanks,
Nancy & Maddie

barbara from York England UK

It is great to see all the letters from your supporters Maddie. And I wish you lots of luck in all you do. I am a pensioner so I cant send a parcel as it would be very expensive from here. But your ideas have encouraged me to make more quilts for charities in my area. Keep up the good work!!

Kitty J

What a wonderful girl. I also taught my 2 granddaughters to quilt, the youngest one is also named Madie and she loves to quilt. I will send her a package of fabric from my stash. We are on a limited budget too but I think I can come up with some cash too so she can pick out some fabric herself.

Kitty J

I just saw where someone sent a gift card. That is a great idea. Do they have Joann’s in her area or could I send her a gift card from Craftsy?

Angela

If you scroll up, her grandma posted a comment listing the fabric stores in her area.

Beverly

Maddie . . . . I’ve gone through my stash and I’m sending you a shoe box full of fabric. Might not sound like much, but it’s a box that my husbands shoes came in and he has really big feet! Thank you for being such a sweetheart and for wanting to help others.

Angela

Made a special trip to JoAnn today for some fat quarters. It’s not much, but I know it will be put to good use! Keep it up, kiddo! The world needs more kids like you.

Leslie Eaker

My daughter is in her class can you please let me know when it will Auction off that is something I would love to have since it came from one of my daughter’s friends and because it also has all of their classmates little hands on it. I am also going to go to the website to see how to help. Maybe even get some fabric and have her make one for my daughter. She will know her if you ask her about Heaven. My daughter told me about Maddie making it so I want to take part when it goes up for Auction. Maddie you are a very talented 7 year old. Wish my grandmother was still her to teach Heaven how to crochet. Keep up the great work that’s something I wish I knew how to do myself. 🙂

Dawn

Maddie and Nancy, maybe you should set up a Facebook page for Quilted Hugs From Maddie so more than the local and the quilting communities know about you? I’d love to see more pictures and see updates of how things are going! Keep up the good work!

Bertie SewSew

“Ask and ye shall receive.” Keep up the good work, Maddie. You may have to build a shed to house all your fabric donations! (GRIN!) Quilters have big hearts like you! I, too, make and give away quilts because I’ve been blessed. I love your first quilt and your second one sounds so neat! Looking forward to reading/seeing more of you in the future.

Taffy

I applaud Maddie’s initiative! BUT – rather than trying to start up a new non-profit organization, why don’t you make the quilts for Project Linus or Quilts for Kids? There are many other existing organizations for children in need. Then you’d only have to deal with the creative process and can leave most of the administrative stuff to others.

Maddie – Quilt on!

LindaP

Way to go, Maddie! If there is a quilt guild in your area, check with them – they often have a charity or outreach group the will know of places to donate quilts and might also be able to hook you up with fabric. My guild makes quilts for several organizations, including “Linus Project” and our local Children’s Justice Center (for the kids who are removed from abusive homes). Keep up the good work!

Diane

Maddie should check out Project Linus. My kids have been making quilts for them for a long time and they are a very kid-friendly organization that gives the quilts to kids who need them. We also make them with our cubscout pack. Best of luck to you!

Linda

Great job Maddie! You are such an inspiration. I will definitely send you some of my stash to continue with mission. I also find nice fabric at the Salvation Army and other thrift shops at great prices.