Another Pattern Mystery! Can You Solve It?

Here’s another mystery for all you creative Craftsy members out there. Last week, you helped solve the case of of the lost afghan pattern. This week, a Craftsy member needs your help locating a baby bonnet pattern from the early-mid 1980s. Her note reads:

When my daughter was a baby, I got the Annie’s Attic magazine and it had a pattern to make/sew baby bonnets with the wide brim around the face and tied under the chin. It was a pretty easy pattern for a non-sewer like myself. Now I have a granddaughter and would love to make them for her. It would have been in 1981 to maybe 1985?  Sure would be great to have it.

Can you crack the case of the baffling baby bonnet?!

Jeanette Land

I am an experienced knitter. How could I purchase a knitting book with pattons of all the little animals which you are offering on a course. Please adivise.

David

Which class are you referring to? You should ask this question in the class discussion, as I’m sure the classmates and instructor would LOVE to help!

Cheryl Parks

I have a pattern like that, very easy to sew, I would attach a picture but I don’t see a place to do that on here. Contact me if you would like the pattern.

Cheryl Parks

MaryAnn

I remember that………would also like that as grt grandchildren are coming. thank you

Jayne Griffith

Hi Cheryl, I would love to have the pattern.
Jayne

FREDA

I would love to have this HAT /BONNET pattern also.
How Might I get this Pattern also??.

Shery Sullivan

Cheryl, Are you talking about a pattern for a baby bonnet? I would like that since my neice is having her first baby and it’s a little girl.

jennifer winters

i would like to get the patterns for the bonnet too. i have a granddaughter coming

Sandi Augsburger

I would be very grateful for you pattern and a picture of the hat!!

Lara

NM- guess I could have read your post better… Caffeine and blood cells are still fighting valiantly but blood is up 2 – 1…

Molly

This was an Easy McCall’s pattern that I found on eBay. Not sure if that’s the exact one you were looking for, but it’s a wide-brimmed hat that ties under the chin…

There’s also this one that I found:

And this one that I found:

Hope these help you!

Colette

Try using a pretty hankie, fold in half, use ribbon in the fold to draw up the back of the bonnet, attach two ribbons to the corners to tie under the chin. When she is a bride she can use the same hankie to carry down the isle.

Toni Williams

Annie’s Attic has a website and a FB page I’m sure they will have an answer

Julie Scheurich

Look on Ebay under Annie’s Attic Baby Bonnet pattern. They have several.

Cindy B

It probably had to be in Annie’s Attic Pattern Club magazine if it was sewn. That was the magazine that had some patterns for sewing. Annie’s Crochet Newsletter was all crochet magazine.

Robin

I was looking at handkerchiefs, I believe on Craftsy or Etsy, and there was a baby bonnet on there. They might know where to get the pattern. I know just THE bonnet you mean, made them for my daughter too, good luck.

Jeanne Provost

In the spring issue of stitch is a pattern for a baby hat easy to make, has a wide brim, also has a pattern for a jacket and blanket. Hope this helps.

Sue

The only way would be to contact Annies Attic and ask them for the pattern, they could check thier magazines from 1981 to 1985 that were printed and could send you the pattern. I tryed looking on the internet and i found others looking for patterens from the 80’s with no luck. Unless you kept all the magazines from that time, that would be the only other way. Good luck!

mtmquilter

To the person looking for the Baby Bonnet pattern I don’t recall Annie;’s Attiic ever getting into sewing patterns I looked up the current Annie’s Attic website and they have several options for Baby Bonnets but the are all knit and crochet. One book had batterns that looked like they were sewn.

Gail Jahnke

It was the Annie’s Attic Pattern Club magazine, I believe.

Tammy G

I am confused– are you looking for a knit/crochet pattern or is it a fabric/sewing pattern. I would love to help and go thru my stash or “valued collection” but need a little clarification

Joyce Humphrey

I have the pattern and responded but no one has answered me back as to who to send it to.

Gail Jahnke

Joyce….trying to find out how to get in touh with you….?

Rebecca Hamilton

Joyce, I am not the one who originally requested this Bonnet pattern, but I would love to have a copy of this pattern!! Please reply to my email address: prday5@yahoo,com

Thanks so much!!! Rebecca Hamilton

GAIL JAHNKE

YAY!!!! Thank you Joyce! It’s the one! So very excited!

Gail Jahnke

sewing…believe it was from Annie’s Attic Pattern club

stacey

simplicity and new look both have very easy peekaboo style bonnets in their current pattern books. i would suggest checking out http://www.simplicity.com and searching the babies/kids sections. from that site you can also access the newlook patterns.

there is an absolutely adorable one (simplicity) that has a wide brimmed scalloped edge:

there are more if you go into the babies/toddlers pages on this site.

good luck!

Liz

I have a bunch of Annies attic mags. I will look later for you.
Liz

Gail Jahnke

Do you have: Annie’s Attic Pattern Club Volume 2, Issue #2: April/May 1981
Someone here mentioned it migh be in that one. I will gladly pay for copies to be mailed!

GAIL JAHNKE

it was the June/July 1982 issue#15….and I have it now thanks to Joyce Humphries!

jacenta

Are you looking for the prarie type pattern? If so use the pattern suggested (mccalls 4479) and just make the brim wider.

Dawn Mason

I looked it up on the web and I think it was Annie’s Attic Pattern Club Volume 2, Issue #2: April/May 1981
Ask at Annie’s Attic for their help I’m sure they’ll have an archive of patterns.

MaryAnn

Speaking of ‘yesteryear’, does anyone have the crochet pattern for dress for barbie size doll that we put on our beds with dolls skirts being full and spread out? I find dresses for dolls but not the ones that were actually like what was made back in the 60’s. Usually they were southern belle type dresses.

Helen

Don’t know about sewing, but Annie’s Attic has a crochet pattern book of baby bonnets…I mean BONNETS, not hats. They are beautiful. Wish I could help more.!

Vita

I don’t know about Annie’s Attic but Simplicity pattern #2908 contains the pattern for a bonnet just as you describe. This pattern has a total of 6 bonnets. I hope this helps.

Juanita Witcher

To the lady looking for the Annie’s Attic pattern, Have you called them? 1-800-582-6643. They probably have the patterns within their archives. Good Luck

Rochelle

Both my daughters were born in the 1980’s. I sewed their dresses and the bonnet that tied under the chin from Simplicity# 6260. If you would like my pattern, I would gladly send it to you as my daughters are not planning to have children. Let me know here or email me with your information at staffierirochelle@gmail.com.

Jackie Hurst

Try this
free tutorial. It’s an extremely cute bonnet, which looks pretty easy. I’m going to make one for my new granddaughter!

Vita

I also found on this website a pattern that may be the one you are looking for. Go to
e-patternscentral.com and type baby bonnet in the search. You should get a number of selections, one of which is a baby bonnet as you describe, sewn and with a brim.

Peggy

have the annie’s pattern club # 14, newletter april-may 1982 but I don’t have the pattern.

GAIL JAHNKE

A JOYCE HUMPHREY RESPONDED THAT SHE HAS THE PATTERN AND SOUNDS AS FRUSTRATED AS I AM. THE POSTING IS NO GOOD IF THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THE INFO. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET THE INFO? i’VE SENT EMAILS AND AM GETTING NO HELP FROM CRAFTSY.

David

Gail, I’m sorry you feel as if you’re not getting any help from Craftsy. I have been working with one of our support folks to try to facilitate communication between you and Joyce. We will continue to try. I see that you responded to Joyce’s original comment, and that is the right move. Hopefully she’ll see your comment soon and write you back. However, as anyone is free to comment on our blog, we have no way of guaranteeing an ongoing dialogue between you and the commenter. I selected your letter and posted it to the blog in an effort to assist you. Again, I’m sorry we haven’t been enough of a help. We’ll keep trying.

GAIL JAHNKE

Thank you David…sorry I got frustrated there. I really do appreciate all you’ve done. Success! I got the pattern from Joyce tonight. Can’t wait to print it all off and get sewing! Thanks to all for your concern and help!

Irene

My aunt made one of these for my sister in law 32 yes ago. It was called “the magic hankie” and it came with a poem telling about using it to bring the baby home and then using it when the child marries. Really sweet.. Maybe you can search for the magic hankie… Good luck with your search!!

Irene

Irene here again. I found several versions with a google search for magic hankie. Even instructions on how to make the bonnet and several poems to pick from!

Fred Kirkman

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after going through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m certainly delighted I discovered it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back often!