Letters to the Editor: Seeking Pattern Drafting Instructor

Posted by on Feb 4, 2012 in Cake Decorating, Crocheting, Gardening, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Paper Crafts, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

This week, we received an intriguing letter from Liz in Alexandria, Virginia who wants to know if Craftsy is planning to offer a class on how to draft flat pattern blocks. Turns out, we’ve been thinking about doing a class on that very subject and are actively looking for a terrific instructor.

Leave a comment on this post if you know someone who would be a great instructor for this class (or if you would be one yourself).

Meanwhile, here’s Liz’s letter to the editor. If any of you newsletter readers would like to submit a letter to the editor, please do so at editor@craftsy.com

Dear Editor,

I am waiting with bated breath for Gretchen Hirsch’s Starlet Suit Jacket class. I can’t wait to take that in addition to Susan Khalje’s new class The Couture Dress. The only thing Craftsy hasn’t offered yet that I would love to see is a series of classes on flat-pattern drafting from scratch. There are recent books galore on copying things you already own, on altering commercial patterns to fit, etc. But there seems to be a real dearth of classes available that teach how to take a set of proper measurements and draft flat pattern blocks from them. For ladies like myself, who don’t fit either commercial pattern sizes or commonly available retail clothing, this is an invaluable skill for sewing our own wardrobes full of cute clothes we’d never otherwise be able to wear. I think this would also help boost folks who sew well for themselves, but who would like to be able to sew for others as a business.

I would gladly pay a monthly subscription for a year’s worth of classes of this sort, especially with the faculty Craftsy has been able to attract. Is this something you have in consideration, or would consider producing in the not-too-distant future?

Thanks for all you do already!

Liz C.
Alexandria, VA

Comments

1. Cindy says:

I know the perfect person to teach this, my draping/pattern making teacher Sharon Butler. She has taught the famous Gertie the art of draping as well as many others. I’ve just started learning flat pattern making but have been draping with Sharon for over a year. Like many others I do not fit into commercial patterns. She’s been teaching me how to adjust patterns to fit my figure because I don’t want to be relegated to just using the big 4 plus size patterns. Sharon can be reached at http://www.sharonbutlercouture.com and at her blog tailorchickandthesewingmachine.blogspot.com

2. StephC says:

Me! I’d do it! I teach sewing, drafting and wardrobing in real life, and regularly draft custom patterns from scratch with students while I talk them through the process… I’ve just learned how to make patterns available online, and I’m already teaching a bit of drafting through my blog… It’s monthly “hacks” for my free tee pattern. I wanted to help teach people how to do a little bit of drafting for design because so many of us alter patterns for fit and it’s essentially the same thing- altering for fit or for design. http://3hourspast.com/blank-canvas-tee/ I have a few other “drafting teacher” type things planned for the future, but it would be fantastic to work with Craftsy to do this.

http://3hourspast.com/2012/01/24/hack-this-tee-sailor-sweetheart/ January’s “Hack”

3. Dianne Shepherd says:

My personal recommendation for a teacher for pattern drafting would be Stephanie C. from the blog http://3hourspast.com/. She has a very extensive knowledge of pattern drafting buiilt from research and experience. I have personally had her as a teacher and she was exceptionally patient and knowledgeable, no matter what question any student asked. I also consult with her via email from time to time when I have questions. She appears to be very familiar with a range of online technologies as well. Please make contact with her, I think she really would be an asset to you.

4. Monika English says:

Steph from http://3hourspast.com/ has helped me and many others heaps with pattern drafting – I can highly recommend her!!

5. Adriana Orozco says:

Dear Editor,

It was wonderfull to read this note where you are looking for a person capable and willing to give clases on flat pattern making, and I offer my self to do so. Here in my Country, Costa Rica, I have given classes at the “Universidad Creativa”. Also you can see some of my work in Burdastyle web site, where in 2 years I have put up, 77 proyects, and here in your proyects part, I have only put 2 proyects since I am became a member only a few weeks ago. Ple ase visit my blog “Rainforestcouture”:http://www.rainforestcouture.blogspot.com/ that I started also recently, and I am teaching couture finishings . As you go along looking at my proyects, you can see my knolodge in pattern making also, since all of my proyects have been drafted by me.

It will be lovely if you will consider me to fill in this job, and I look forwards to hear from you,

Adriana Orozco. Craftsy member: nanacosta// Burdastyle member: Adriana Orozco

6. Jules Fallon says:

Hello, I’ve just spotted your request for a pattern cutting tutor. I have been a designer/pattern cutter in the fashion and craft industries for over 20 yrs and a lecturer for over 8 teaching a whole range of pattern cutting techniques to 16 -25yr olds, from how to cut a pattern to your own measurements to the Julian Roberts method of Subtraction Cutting. I’m now setting up a sewing cafe in Stratford-upon-Avon (the home of William Shakespeare) and I would love to help you any way I can.

many thanks
    Jules :)

7. Joanie says:

I would love to sign-up fpr this course also! Nancy Zimmerman comes to mind as an instructor. If she is too busy, she may be able to suggest other names. Can’t wait to see this course become available!!
    Thanks, Joanie

8. Jane says:

I think Pamela of Pamelas Patterns would be the best choic for this class. Her name is Pamela Legget from Phila, Pa. She has her own pattern company. Does all her own drafting. Teaches all over. I have taken classes from her. You couldn’t find anyone better.

Jane

9. Cheryl Lacy says:

Look up Designing with Dusan on the internet. The basic pattern and instruction kit are fabulous.

10. Sharlene says:

Connie Crawford

11. Woolly says:

Susan Crawford (she of all things vintage) is an experienced pattern drafter and used to teach this in colleges… http://www.susancrawfordvintage.com/Home.html

12. Sadie says:

Christina Patzman of Darling Ruth would be awesome at that! She is a Denver designer and teaches at Fancy Tiger!

13. Kathy Smith says:

Peggy Sagers from Silhouette Patterns.

14. Emma Aubrey says:

I can highly recommend StephC from 3hourspast.com. I have personally been taught by Steph, and her teaching methods are clear and concise, based on a strong foundation of knowledge and (having listened to her teach the same thing to different people) perfectly tailored to the learning needs of those being taught. While not quite ready to tackle drafting for myself yet, I have watched on 3hourspast.com as Steph has come into her own drafting patterns for herself, and she is already sharing those skills with her ‘Blank Canvas Tee’ hacks. I would definately subscribe to a course run by Steph, as I trust her work – I can see it in action on her blog.

15. Linda says:

StephC from http://3hourspast.com/ would be an excellent teacher. On thing that hasen’t been mentioned is the fact that Steph can and does utilize multiple measuring formats (inch, cm/mm). This is an important consideration as there will be people from all over the globe taking these courses. I would highly recommend her and her abilities to teach all levels (beginning thru expert) of the class. Her techniques, patterns and advice are intuitive, she can look at photos or read an explanation of problems and know what a particular fabric is doing and why, then explain it in a supportive, constructive, non-pretentious manner.

16. Blanca Ramirez says:

I too would be interested in taking such a class! I would like to learn to draft children’s patterns.

17. denese says:

how wonderful that you are looking at this class and the ones offered. may be through your efforts we can get many more people sewing. or sewing again
    may be you could have the symbol in your logo that takes Craftsy name to face book sites.

18. Tracy Clark says:

I would be very interested in this. I’m finding so many different techniques in quilting it’s hard to know which technique will work the best.

19. jennifer says:

Cal Patch literally wrote the book on pattern drafting and is a WONDERFUL teacher. I highly recommend her!

20. Lou says:

Just letting you know that I too would love to learn more about pattern drafting and hope that Craftsy can offer this course.
    Absolutely loving Susan’s Couture Dress Course… really impressed.. and hope that Craftsy can work with Susan to offer many more classes in Couture Sewing…

21. charlotte says:

I would love to take a course in pattern drafting for children’s clothing!

22. Nekah says:

That’s a very good question from Lizz and I would love to take the class.

My suggestion: http://www.suncoastcustom.net/Profile.html