Craftsy Designer Workshops: How They Work

Posted by on Feb 1, 2012 in Cake Decorating, Crocheting, Gardening, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Paper Crafts, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

Come craft along with members in the Craftsy community! Craftsy Workshops, including knit-alongs and quilting workshops, are a refreshingly easy way to learn how to make something. Workshops are so much more than a mere pattern. They have in-depth written instructions and ultra clear, close-up photos with each step.

Additionally, these written tutorials include the interactive elements you’ve come to love with your classes. You can ask questions to the designer and all of the crafters who are also participating in the workshop. In fact, you can even add a tip to help others along the way if you’ve got something to share!

You can take workshops whenever you like and at whatever pace you prefer! Once the workshop begins, enjoy interacting with the expert designer for up to two months. After that, keep the discussion going with your fellow crafters and review earlier Q&A with the designer.

Here’s an overview of all you get in a Craftsy workshop:

Add a tip.

As you are working, you may have an idea to make the project even easier. Or perhaps you have an alternate idea (for instance, substituting a fabric). Post your tip to the workshop by clicking “Add tip” from the yellow box called Section Discussion. Then, others can read and use your tip and leave comments, as well.

Start a discussion.

As you are creating the project, you may have an observation that you think is worth bringing up to your fellow crafters. If so, click “Start a discussion” to post it. Like a tip and a question, it’s posted to both the designer and the community, and everyone can post their thoughts.

Take notes.

Write yourself helpful notes as you work, and save them to the section that they apply to. That way, you won’t be left wondering what your note refers to. Simply click “Add a note” in the gray navigation menu along the top.

Rate and review.

Once you’re all done with the workshop, add your rating and review to it so other Craftsy members can see how you liked it, and if it’s right for them. Of course, as you explore the workshops you’re interested, you can check out all the ratings and reviews to see what others thought of it!

To see the latest Craftsy workshops, visit the Craftsy fabric shop or the Craftsy yarn shop.

Comments

1. ruth kositchek says:

The designer, Paula Pereira, states that the Boho Scarf will be fun to make. Boo hoo I am having difficulty. Does the” yarn over twice” count as two stitches on the next row? Any further help would be aappreciated

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Whenever you have specific pattern questions, it’s a great idea to contact the designer directly. Her contact information is most likely somewhere on the printed pattern, and if not, you can leave a comment for her on the project’s page.

2. Kelly says:

The discussions in the workshops would be really nice to add to the classes as well. Or do something different with the class comments and discussions. I’m following the block of the month class and having a horrible time communicating with people. You click on a comment to view replies, and when you go back you are brought back all the way to the top. Finding replies to your own comments is almost impossible. And it makes it really hard for people to have a real community feel in the class. Each class really needs something more like a live chat room and then a separate forum where people can easily search and post questions, pictures of finished projects, etc. It makes it hard for me to consider signing up for a paid class when something so integral to the class (the communication aspect) is so limited and really lacking. Thanks for considering my suggestions!

3. Deborah Parsons says:

I love the idea of the secret craft-along. Can you rate the difficulty of the project? I’m relatively new to knitting.

1. Rebecca says:

Hi Deborah! The difficulty level for the Mystery Knit-Along is intermediate. The great thing about it though is you can view the Knit-Along whenever you want, as many times as you want starting July 1st when it opens. So if you feel like you need more time on the project since you’re new to knitting, you have all the time in the world!

4. Mia says:

It would be helpful to know what you need to have at hand at the time you sign up for the knit along. For example: needles and markers. This way you will know if there is anything you need to buy and what your total cost will be.

5. Mia says:

Important to know before you buy.
    Color is important to me. It would be nice to be able to choose a color or color way. Also, information on fiber content would be helpful. I know some knitters who are allergic to certain fibers.

1. Rebecca says:

Hi Mia! I understand your concern in regards to the details of the Mystery Knit-Along; however, in order to keep it a surprise, we cannot go into the details of the fabric color, materials, etc. I can tell you that joining this Knit-Along gives you access to the exclusive pattern starting July 1st as well as yarn delivered to your door hand selected by the pattern designer. If you’d like join a knit workshop that gives more details on what you will need such as yarn, knitting needles, sewing needles, thread, etc, then take a look at all of our workshops here: http://www.craftsy.com/ext/social_workshops

6. ginger says:

I am thinking about doing the mystery knit along…but would love to see what June’s was first! thanks! i’m not good with surprises in general but trying to work on that! thanks!!!

1. Rebecca says:

Ginger,
      June’s Mystery Knit-Along project was beaded fingerless gloves; however, the Mystery Knit-Along does vary from month to month. What I can tell you about July’s project is that it will be a one size fits all accessory. Hope this helps!

7. Miriam says:

Regarding the July Knit-along, will the pattern be revealed all at once, or in steps? A friend participated in a crochet-along at another site and they were given a different motif every week for several weeks, and then assembly instructions/suggestions. Just wondering if there are component pieces that participants will need to keep up with for the project.
    Also, how frequently does Craftsy do these knit-along projects?
    Thanks for any additional information or hints you can provide.

1. Rebecca says:

Hi Miriam! The pattern will be released all at once on July 1st when the July Mystery Knit-Along opens. As for the frequency, we hope to continue the Knit-Along, but stay tuned for more details. We will be sure to make a blog update if we do indeed have another Mystery Knit-Along.

8. Linda Pouliot says:

HELP!!!!…I received my mystery yarn but nothing else!!!!!..When do the instructions come in???…It starts tomorrow….I have not received anything else…Thank you

1. Rebecca says:

Hi Linda,

Tomorrow morning (July 1st) you will gain access to the Mystery Knit-Along, which will be found in the “Enrolled Workshops” section of your Craftsy account. You will also receive an email tomorrow morning letting you know that you have access to the Knit-Along. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

1. Karen says:

Hello –
        I just received my yarn for the September Mystery Knit-Along. It is really pretty.
        The information above of what will occur on Sept 1st, should be sent to people who purchase these in the confirming email. The,
        “which will be found in the ‘Enrolled Workshops’ section of your Craftsy account” is what I think should be sent in the email with the confirming the purchase.
        I really thought that the instructions had been left out of my bag from Craftsy.
        5 days and counting!
        -Karen

1. Support says:

Hi Karen,

I’m so sorry if the information for the Mystery Knit Along wasn’t clear! We mentioned it in the description before you enroll in the Knit Along, but I completely understand that a reminder in your email would be helpful! This is great feedback and we will certainly keep in this mind going forward. Enjoy the Mystery Knit Along and we’re glad to have you be a part of it!

9. Cheryl Love says:

I was curious as to what the Mystery project was for this month. I am thinking of trying my hand at September’s project – just nervous that it might be too complicated for me!

1. Support says:

Hi Cheryl Love,

Thanks for your interest in the Mystery Knit Along! It should be a really fun project and we would describe the skill level as intermediate. You will want to have a good basis of different stitch patterns as well as increases and decreases. You will always have the chance to ask the instructor and your fellow knitters questions as you go. It should be a great project for an intermediate knitter or beginner who is looking for a fun, new challenge!

10. Cathy says:

I want to participate in a Knitalong at some point. I think it would be helpful to post the difficulty level.

Thank you.

1. Support says:

Thanks for the great suggestion! I would be happy to pass this information along to the appropriate department.

11. Angel-Ina Jarrells says:

Question, the upcoming knit along with included kit, will it just be the workshop and yarn, or will the knitting needles be included? I am interested, however, my knitting needle collection is sparse. It would be nice if they were included.

1. Support says:

Great question, unfortunately the Knit-A-Long for September will not be coming with a set of needles.

12. Mary says:

I am interested in the Sept knitalong, however I am a beginner. Is this too advanced for me?

Thanks

1. Support says:

Hi Mary,

I’m glad you’re interested in the Mystery Knit Along. We would describe the skill level as intermediate. You will want to be familiar with different stitch patterns as well as increases and decreases. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions from the instructor and fellow knitters as you go along! This should be a great project for an intermediate knitter or a beginner looking for a challenge.

13. Michelle, South Africa says:

Hi there! Thanks for an amazing website and the incredible online classes! I have just started a knitting one as well as a crochet one and they are just great! Even for a very “challenged techno-user” like myself! (My computer skills are somewhat lacking!)

I live in Africa and would love to know if I can participate in the upcoming October Surprise Knit-Along? Our exchange rate is horrendous ($25.00 is equivalent to your $250,00!!) so I have to be really clever and careful in my choosing and need to know if you ship all the way to Johannesburg!

Thanks again for my favourite website that fills me with joy, excitement, lots of learning and inspiration and helps me not feel so isolated in two hobbies that fill the heart with a song!

14. Michelle, South Africa says:

Michelle again…oops, just noticed that it said “no international shipping” in your enrolment information! Oh well…not too worry…I can just think of buying a new online course instead! I look forward to it and wish all those knitters on the knit-along loads of fun! Enjoy! Thanks again!

15. Marcia Kortbein says:

I received my yarn yesterday…I have been running all over looking for DP needles US11. I can not find them. I checked in my craft books and they only have size 10 – 10 1/2 – 13 or 15. Would it be okay to use a 10 1/2 DP. Or could you tell me where I can purchase the size 11.

1. Karla says:

Hi Marcia,

Clover makes bamboo US11 double-point needles. I found some at a local yarn store, but they are also available at Joann.com. I don’t know if the 10 1/2 size would be okay, since the pattern is still a mystery to me. I’m jealous that you got your yarn! I can’t wait to get mine.

16. Pamela says:

Just received my yarn for the February mystery knit along. I L O V E it. It came in my favorite colors and I can hardly wait to work with it. It feels sooooo wonderful. This is my first on line knit along and I can hardly wait to get started on 2/1/13.

17. Lisa says:

Please lease tell us color families. I would love to do this but fear I will get yarn in colors I abhor (yellow and orange for example!). If you don’t want to publish it, at least allow us a way to get a PM

1. Support says:

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your feedback!

18. Ada says:

I am interested in the Mystery Knit Along, but not sure yet. I was wondering the difference between the knit-along workshop and a regular class, other than the mystery surprise and the having yarn delivered. I am not very good at just reading instructions and looking at snapshots of knittings. Will there be videos like the regular classes?

1. Support says:

Hi Ada! This is a great question to ask. Mystery Knit Alongs are released each month. When you purchase the Mystery Knit Along, you will be sent the special yarn chosen for the Mystery project by mail. The pattern for the project will then be released at the beginning of the month, the pattern will be automatically saved to your Craftsy account along with your other Craftsy courses and workshops. There will not be videos like our Craftsy courses, but you will still be able to post questions for the pattern instructor and other Craftsy members to answer if you have any questions or need a few tips along the way :)

19. Emily says:

I just received my mystery yarn for July, but I’m wondering about swatching. I tend to knit loosely, so if this is a garment I may need smaller needles. When I signed up it said I will need size 5 needles, but can someone tell me what this yarn should knit up to on those? Thanks,

Emily