Letters to the Editor: Help D’ Find Her Yarn!

Each week, we see more and more letters to the editor of our weekly newsletters; keep them coming! In the meantime, a sampling of this week’s letters, including one from a Craftsy member who needs your help finding yarn!

Dear Editor,

I am looking for a gold or sungold yarn with a sparkle yarn through it. Any suggestions? I believe Hobby Lobby has the color but doesn't carry it with the sparkle. Please help!

Thanks,
D'

We felt this was the perfect question for all you Craftsy crafters. Can you help D' find this very particular kind of yarn? If so, please leave a comment below.

Nija Designs

I just saw some yarn with sparkle in it from fabulousyarn.com. there are several different brands of yarn that could be what you are looking for. I saw that they had Silk Mohair Glitter in Gold that might work.

madea

this great i have only made small photo quilt. i was always afraid to do block it looked to tough. but watching you, you have made it easy for me to jump out and try a block quilt. thank you you took the fear out of quilting.

Cheryl

I really keyed in on the ruler you were using for the Block of the Month. What brand do you use? I like the very large numbers and black lettering. My rulers are about 15 years old at this point in time.

Stefanie Japel

Hi Cheryl, You can ask any questions right to the instructor inside the block of the month class itself…she doesn’t check the blog for class-related questions, and I don’t know the answer. I’m glad you’re having fun! 🙂

Karen Kreger

I like the Lion Brand Yarn called Vanna’s Glamour. I’ve used the Platinum color (silver metallic thread woven in). Everybody raves about it. They have a Gold color. You can see it online but it doesn’t give a true to life view. In my area JoAnn’s carries this brand of yarn. This yarn is weighted a 2 so it is somewhat fine but not like sock yarn.

Kathryn M.

If you have found a yarn in a color you love, have you considered a sparkly crochet thread held together with this yarn. Crochet thread comes in many metallic colors, and you can choose which one looks best with the yarn you like!

Cynthia

I was going to suggest the same thing. There are plenty of go-with thread yarns that are metallic, why not invent your own combination?

D'

I actually am trying to do this now. Great minds think alike… THANKS!

Cheryl

I have been in that same situation. The available yarn is not always what I am visualizing in my head. What I have done is used a sparkle thread found in the embroidery dept along with my yarn. This is ok if the project is small, a little costly if it is a bigger project. Second trick was to load my own sparkle on to the yarn and knit it in at various spots. The drawback on this is that I then had to find the color of yarn I wanted in a fine weight so I could load the sparkle (bead or whatever) on to it.

June

Vanna’s Choice yarn is sport weight yarn that comes in a beautiful gold with the shiny gold thread running through it. You probably can find it at Michael’s or at Hancock’s fabrics stores. If you don’t jave one of these near you, look at their websites, or google Vanna’s Choice yarns. Good luck!

Te'rry Heverly

I found some gold yarn with sparkle to make a shawl for a friend. She loved it. Sorry, I found it at Pat Catan’s. Don’t know if you have one around you but I believe they have a web-site.
Try Pat Catans. com. Hopefully, this will help. Good luck finding yarn. Might try Red Heart and Lion Brand websites also. Happy crocheting or knitting.

Julia Griffith

It would be easy to use a metallic thread such as the ones at kreinik.com along with your yarn.

Cynthia Wells

On this website I found a gold yarn that has sparkle in it for that one individual that wrote in looking for it.

Robyn

Why not buy some sparkle thread and hold 1-2 strands of it with the yarn you found? Sparkley yarns usually don’t come in a wide aray of colors and this method will allow you to get exactly the color you want without a wide search. Also, if you are wondering where to get the sparkle thread, you can find it at many yarn shops and more reliably at your local sewing shop.

Kristin Phillips

D’-
Lion Brand offers a couple of yarns that are gold with sparkle yarn through it. Martha Stewart has an eyelash yarn (made by Lion Brand) that comes in gold or pale gold, with sparkle in it. Vanna White also has a yarn called Glamour. Her yarn called “gold” is a mustard yellow with a gold sparkle. You can find both yarns for sale at your local JoAnn Fabrics or at Lionbrandyarn.com.

fiberlicious

You can probably find a very thin Angelina (sparkly) yarn at a real yarn shop to knit together with the other yarn. Just hold the strands together and knit as if they are one yarn.

Mary

LionBrand has a sport weight yarn Vanna’s Glamour. Sixteen colors–three of them gold.

Judy Donnelly

Have you thought about using non-sparkle yard and double it adding a metallic thread to add the glitz you want? That way, you have the color and glitz.

Dianne

Hi…I went to a vendor show this weekend and there was a vendor who had sparkle in their yarn! “Knit One, Stitch Too” is the name and the e-mail site is http://www.knitonestitchtoo.com I got their flyer because I knit and quilt and was interested in their products. They are located in Huntersville, North Carolina.

Megan

Webs is a yarn shop in Northampton Mass. With a wonderful website, you can shop by fiber or color. Call them also they are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Some what pricy though.
I did see a nice yellow yellow with sequins at Joanns Ect. I am pretty sure it was by Martha Stewart, the balls were small.
Good luck in your search!

Cheryl

Red Heart Fiesta has a worsted yarn called Cornmeal that is a yellowish gold with a multi-color metallic or sparkle yarn running thru it. I believe it got it a Walmart but I have also seen it online at Hancock’s Fabrics, Jo-Ann’s Fabrics and Crafts and I believe at Annie’s Attic too. Good luck.

Julie JC

How about Vanna’s Choice Glamour at LionBrand? There is a gold. Or for something heavier I’d go with Homespun (color: golden or sunshine state) with a thread of lame worked with the Homespun.

Christine B

Try Herrschners.com. I believe they have a Herrschners brand for halloween thats yellow with sparkles. If you are looking for gold/gold crochet thread, look on Herrschners for Aunt Lydia’s thread. If you get the thread, be patient. It can be a bear to work with.

Sue Oelrich AKA Daisy and Florrie

Could you get the effect you want by knitting or crocheting with 2 yarns held together? Get the right color from the Hobby Lobby yarn, then add a very fine yarn such as a metallic crochet thread for the sparkle. I’ve often done this and as long as you use a fine weight sparkle yarn, there is little effect on gauge.

Alisha May

Hello!

I haven’t ever seen the exact yarn you’re describing, but have you considered using the yarn you found at Hobby Lobby with a sparkle filament? That way you could buy the filament in whatever color you wanted and have the exact yarn you need!

Hope this helps!

Maria

Berroco Glint in color number 2937 is a beautiful gold cotton yarn with metallics. My LYS has used it for tons of New Orleans Saints accessories. 😉

Sara Mithra

Katia’s “Gatsby” yarn comes in a gold color and has nifty metallic glimmer.

Tamara

Vanna’s Glamour by Lion Brand Yarns in the Topaz colorway. I think it is only available in a DK weight. I am knitting a cardi with it and I like the yarn. Hope this yarn fits the bill.

Mupson

Probably the most easily available yarn would be Vanna’s Glamor by Lion Brand. Red Heart has their Shimmer line, but it doesn’t appear they have a gold or yellow. Webs has a nice sparkly yarn on close out by Louise Harding called Jasmine. You could also have a spinner friend ply any color Plymouth Gold Rush to whatever yarn YOU like or you could just carry a thread of the Gold Rush, or any other thin metallic yarn along with the yarn of your choice while you are knitting.

Terry Mattingly

Lion Brand “Vanna’s Glamour Yarn” comes in gold and definitely has a sparkle to it. You can purchase it on line from Lion Brand’s web site and it is carried by other stores that stock Lion Brand yarns. It is a light weight yarn. Hope that helps.

Miaren

You don’t specify the weight, but Lion Brand Yarn has Topaz, Gold, and Bronze (might be too dark) in their Vanna’s Glamour line. It’s a ‘fine’ (2) weight yarn, and has been very pleasant to work with. I’m using the ‘Jewel’ color to make Valentine hearts for my daughter’s class.

kath vickers

‘D’
if you can get the wool in plain colour, try twisting or just knitting in a gold thread. This can be bought from any material shop. Hope this helps. K

Gloria Patterson

Try the Yarn Market. They carry :
Berroco “Lumina” -Gold Coast or Goldfish
Berroco “Metallic FX” -Gold
Katia “Gatsby” -Gold/Gold
Anny Blatt “Gypsy d’ Anny” -Biche or Or
Filatura Di Crosa “Night” -Gold

Also, at Kyarn they carry Tilli Tomas yarn that has sparkle and beads, too. Expensive, though!
Hope that helps you!

Lisa Sanders

You could try Micheals Craft Store if there is one in your area, or the website http://www.micheals.com. I also get a few magazines in the mail that carry all types of yarn & accesseries…. Mary Maxim, Patternworks, & Herrschners. Hope this helps!! 🙂
Lisa

Kathy

Hi there,
My Mum makes a huge number of knitted rugs and shawls. She often puts glitter in her woollen projects by using metallic machine sewing threads. You can use just one thread for a subtle look of sparkle or use two or more threads for even more!!
Kathy

Carolyn

Mary Maxim has all kinds of sparkly yarn. Check out marymaxim.com

Barbara E. Dreher

You might want to check out Avril’s website. Although this is a Japanese company they do ship overseas and their yarns are incredible. Also, they do sell out of Habu (http://www.habutextiles.com/) in New York.

I was at their Kyoto store yesterday and they have some beautiful sparkle yarns.

Kat

Use 2 strands -one of the sun gold and another of of a sparkly thread or yarn.

Amanda Price

Try looking at http://www.iceyarns.com. This is an online company that is located in Istanbul, Turkey. Click on all categories, then click metallic yarns, then click Sparkle. The yarn is sold 8 skeins to a pack. Each skein has 109 yd. The price is $9.99 for the 8 skeins. The service is great and shipping cost is not bad at all. You will have your yarn in less than a week. I just ordered yarn from there and the yarn plus shipping only cost me a little over $18.

Holly Schomer

Sulky has a holo Shimmer thread, You could drop th spool in a bowl or mason jar knitting it tog. with the yarn of choice…or rewind the yarn and thread tog. as one, Sulky & Madiera also make wonderful sparkle threads, Happy yarning!

Carla L.

If you are able to find a sparkle yarn by itself, then I would just use both yarns together – this method will give you that sparkle affect, and maybe even better than if you bought the yarn with the sparkle in it. Good luck.

Susanna Tobias

Hi, D’,
I’m not sure what weight of yarn you’re looking for, but I’ve come up with a few suggestions that might help.
If you’re looking for a yarn with an actual sparkle (metallic, sequin, etc.), I would recommend the following (based on online and physical shade cards):
Berroco Flicker #3321 Petipa (http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/flicker_sh.html)
Berroco Glint #2937 Golden Fleece (http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/glint_sh.html)
Bernat Sequin #52018 Tiger’s Eye (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=sequin)
If you’re looking for a yarn that has more of a natural sheen, rather than an actual sparkle, I would recommend the following:
Berroco Captiva #5520 Honey (http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/captiva_sh.html)
Berroco Bonsai #4107 Satsuma
Caron Simply Soft #0008 Autumn Maize (http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_simplysoft.html)
If none of these will work, you could try holding the gold yarn you found at Hobby Lobby together with a metallic thread, keeping in mind that you may have to adjust your needle or hook size to get the gauge.
Hope this helps!
ST

Kirsten

Vanna’s Glamour comes in several shades of gols with the sparkle or mettalic thread as part of the yarn, I used the lightest option for a shawl to wear to my son’s outdoor wedding. Easy to work with. I found it at JoAnn’s…..

Kaherine

Lion Brand Yarn makes a variety called Moonlight Mohair that has been discontinued by a lot of stores but is available online in several colors. Moonlight Mohair in “Safari” is gold with a sparkly strand running through it.

DK

I am having problems with my account:
1) I cannot add/change a profile pic
2) The last 2 crafters that I have added to my Follow this Crafter List, I have been unable to view their items. When I click on those crafters, it takes me to the most recent photos (for everone).

What is the problem, and how do I fix it?

Stefanie Japel

Hi Antiquelady57, I’ve forwarded your question on to our help@craftsy.com email address, someone will be in touch with you shortly. For any site-related questions, the help@craftsy.com email address puts you in direct contact with our help team. Thanks!

Denise8

This may sound like a crazy solution, but if you are commited to fiber arts, it could be a lifelong, useful solution. Learn to spin, either with a wheel or with a hand spindle. Choose the fibers you wish, either dyed or ready-to-dye, buy some sparkly stuff to spin in and customize your yarn. Great fun!

Oldina Wahlers

i have used a metallic thread or sparkle embroidery thread to add to yarn to get the effect I need

sita

you can try Vanna’s Glamour yarn–they have a gold and the yarn has a sparkle too!

Gail Baum

I just bought Vanna’s Glamour in Topaz: what I would call a light beige with gold shot through it. There was another similar yarn, which was more yellow but not what I needed.
I suggest the writer check out Vanna’s Glamour yarns.

D'

THANK YOU ALL!!! So many suggestions!!!! I will check them out.