Guest Post: The Seasoned Homemaker Says, “Aprons Make Great Gifts!”

Posted by on Dec 2, 2011 in Quilting, Sewing | Comments

This guest post is from Leslie, of The Seasoned Homemaker blog fame.  She’s also a Craftsy designer AND Designer Workshop instructor.  If you haven’t seen Leslie’s uber-cute Retro Chic Apron workshop, you’ve got to check it out.  In this post, Leslie gives us some great reasons why aprons make the perfect gift, AND some awesome tips on how to customize them for literally anyone on your list.

Are you wondering what to get your sister-in-law for Christmas? Do you need a teacher’s gift that really shows your appreciation? Got to have a hostess present? How about something for your bestie who always has your back?

Consider this: Aprons always make great gifts!

Below are some examples of apron ideas that are sure to get your juices flowing…and a few tips for making them unique and personal. What better way to express your gratitude than with a one-of-a-kind apron!

Be bold with color and patterns

Use a bold print and mix it with a quiet micro dot. It’s fun and festive and the bold print will steal the show. Try contrasting fabrics to allow other colors a pop. Instead of using the giant rickrack, substitute with a smaller one to allow the fabric to be center-stage. What grabs your attention on this apron….the bold print!

Have fun with prints

If you want something whimsical, look for fabrics with themes. Here, I’ve used roosters and a contrasting yellow fabric with chicken footprints. Red trim pulls it all together. A totally smile-worthy apron. Step into any fabric store, pick a theme, and run with it.

Soft and subdued works, too

Keep in mind, not everyone wants a bold or whimsical apron. For friends and family with a more subdued personality, choose softer colors. While the pattern of this apron may be bold, the blues and greens are soft and classic. Using a neutral bias trim softens the print making the overall feel lovely.

Embellish a ready-made apron

No time to sew an entire apron. Try embellishing a ready-made apron from a craft store. Find or repurpose unusual items such as a zippers for stems. Fussy-cut a design to make it unique. See here for a full tutorial that includes directions on “How to Applique.” The directions for making the Tattered Flower are here.

Be a copy cat…sort of

When I saw this apron at a store who’s name rhymes with shmranthoshrology, I fell in love with its ruffly look. It’s a simple apron that anyone would be proud to own. So why not try putting your on stamp on it with similar fabrics. Below, I used my Simply Chic Apron Pattern to customize this apron and give it a similar look. Instead of a rosette flower, I chose to put an applique on the pocket. With this style apron, you can create almost any look.

Here it is with a more vintage look and a straight band down the front. The buttons give it a true retro feel. I used rickrack for the flower stems and a set the pocket fabric on a diagonal. Since I wanted the applique to really stand out, I decreased the skirt width by approximately 20% – notice how it is only slightly gathered compared to the one above. So, now you have a few ideas to get you started.

Comments

1. I like your aprons….I make them too. They are fun to give as gifts…something handmade is nice to receive…just knowing someone spent the time to make it for you is a nice gesture at Christmas. Mel

2. Susan McMann says:

Are you offering this pattern for sale?

3. Avien says:

So cute! I actually have several of my G’Gma and G’ma’s aprons dating 1920 forward….LOVE them. I plan to use them as patterns to share the love with others! Great job on yours!

4. Shirley says:

Where do I get patterns?

5. Judy says:

Leslie, I Love Love Love your aprons. And I would love love to have the pattern for the apron which is in picture 1-4. I do have patterns for aprons, but this is the first one I have seen that I think my daughters (in there 30′s and one almost 40) would really like and actually wear. I would Love Love Love to have the pattern for this apron. If it says where to purchase this pattern on your blog, I have missed it. Please tell me know where I might purchace this pattern. You have wonderful creative designs for all your aprons pictured. I hope you can provide me with the information on how to locate and purchase the above mentioned pattern. It is not too late for a Christmas project!

6. Loretta says:

I love your aprons, so cute. I like to collect them. Some from my Gram and other special people in my life. I’ll have to try to do a few. My daughter likes to make them also.

7. Katherine Brown says:

I love your apron designs. Gives me more ideas of things to do and different applications.

8. Corrie says:

Cute aprons!! Love!
    Thinking that “shmranthoshrology” apron might be doable with a couple purchases from Goodwill? A ruffly blouse & brightly-coloured skirt, cut up & sewn together? Hmm….

9. Bernice Westgarth says:

Made this apron for a friend for Xmas using the bold print. Really pleased with it

10. Kim Tetzlaff says:

I love making aprons for gifts and for selling! My neighbor and I have been working together and trying to find a software or program that will allow us to mix and match a variety of patterns with fabric we already have. This will make it easier for people to order. Sometimes I make an apron only to have the buyer ask me if I could modify it. I would like to be able to show the finished product before cutting and sewing. Is there such a software? I have downloaded a demo recently but it was just so confusing I would rather have something much easier to use. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Thank you, Kim

11. Dianna Gay says:

That is what I am making for all the women in our family. Plus potholders, and a detergent bottle apron to match.

12. Mary says:

I love aprons and I certainly loved all of these ideas! Very Nice

13. Ella Wilson says:

I make aprons and sell them I the Islay quilters shop as I am a member of the quilters and it was nice have look at you web site and for some more idea . Their web site is
    I hope you all have look and see what we do regards Ella Wilson

14. anna lisa says:

I wish you’d included some photos of the backs of your aprons, too.

15. caalebaaron says: