Craftsy’s Block Of The Month with Amy Gibson

Happy Holidays dear friends!  I’m so thrilled to be guest posting today on Craftsy!  I want to introduce myself & give you some sneak peeks at a really exciting quilt project we’ve been working on for the New Year!!  Wheeeee!  Can’t wait to share it with you!

I’m a 30-something mom of two sweet little girls, a lover of modern fabric, and a quilting addict.  My little slice of blog world is StitcheryDickoryDock.com, where I share all of my adventures in modern quilting & sewing, motherhood, and life as a semi-OCD, list-making, coffee-drinking, Law & Order-watching gal.  That’s me!   I’ve sewn all my life.  I learned the basics as a very young child in 4-H, and am almost completely self-taught when it comes to quilting.  I love an eclectic aesthetic, mixing classic historic blocks with fresh, modern fabrics.  Each time I sit down to stitch something or design a pattern (like the iTote Workshop you may have seen on Craftsy, or my Cathedral Window Quilt on Moda Bake Shop), I really strive to embrace the idea of “quilting without rules.”  To me, this means letting go of expectations and rules (from myself and the quilting community in general), and just allowing myself to sew what I love, in the way that I love.

Speaking of things I love, it’s about time to clue you in on some ridiculously fun quilt happenings here at Craftsy!  I’m absolutely delighted to be hosting a brand new feature- Craftsy’s Block Of The Month!  In this year-long FREE monthly video series, I’m going to show you how to make 20 of the most versatile, eclectic quilt blocks out there (ie- my favs!)…and guess what?!  It’s no fun if you don’t do it with me!  Join in the Craftsy quilting community by posting pictures of your fabric and blocks in the gallery, commenting, heart-ing your favorites, and asking questions (I’ll answer every one, I promise!).  From stars to curves to paper piecing, it’s going to be one seriously fun year.

I’m buuuusy, busy cutting up this delicious stack of fabric, and my Craftsy peeps are busy getting the series ready to launch next month!  Stay tuned!  Wishing you a warm & cozy holiday season, and I look forward to seeing you in Janurary!

Quiltercaroline

What a wonderful idea – I have never taken part in a block of the month – so I look forward to joining you on this journey in the new year.

Catherine

Love eclectic in anything so I’m sure I’ll love this BOM. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Laurie

Oh, I think this is exactly what I need to do in the new year. I’m new at quilting and have so much to learn. This would be a fun way to make the learning happen. Thanks!

Nancy

Looking forward to joining you as I’ve never done a block of the month. Hopefully I can use material I have on hand.

Pat

So hoping that this will be helpful for the very beginning quilter!

Pam

I am excited too. I am a beginner quilter and I need to follow someone for awhile till I get my sewing legs under me. This is going to be fun!

Jeanie Smith

I head up a quilt class at our church. I would love to do this with you this year and pass it on to my class. A few questions. How much fabric do we need to start and how many different colors or patterns. I was looking for somthing to do this 2012 so this will be just perfect. Thanks
Jeanie

M.Main

I loved your idea of sharing with your Churdh Group. Would you show us your 2012 Block of the Month Quilt please.
Best Wishes M.M. Australia.

Jan Rau

this sounds like fun. I have done some quilting but not enough to really know what I am doing. so maybe I would learn some new and useful things by trying this. let me know when you are going to start.

Tammy Bolt

I love this sight that s comming ,I know that i will love it.
I love to sew which i got from my Granny,The late mozelle newsome.There are so many memories I made with her and then some.A lot that she pass down to me ,I will pass on. tammy lanelle newsome bolt
{Kountry}

amy reindel

What do I need to do to get involved with the BOM?
thanks
Amy

Diana Gulley

I am SO looking forward to this block of the month! I-like Quiltercaroline-have never done a block of the month and I’m so excited about it!

Sandy Pierce

Sounds like fun, do you let us know what fabrics to get?

M.A. from PA

This is such a great idea. Can’t wait to get started. Like caroline said, “I look forward to the journey”.

Grandma-virg

Are you going to show us what your quilt looks like before we start?

pat

this sounds like great fun and not much time involved will be great fun!

Patricia

I have wanted to do a block of the month for a long time and I think it is time for me to do it :) I am so glad craftsy will be offering it and I can use my fabrics yeah. I will be waiting for it to begin.

Gloria

This sounds like a great idea. I can’t wait to see the blocks. I am just a new quilter and need all the help I can.

Jean

Ditto Quiltercaroline; it must be our turn to do this! Bring it on..

Lynn Winkler

I have never joined a block of the month thing, but I will be joining this one.

Julie Reyes

I never taken part in a block of the month, thought it would be fun!!!

Connie

I am looking forward to the experience of learning new blocks and quilting “secrets”.

Tracy Hudson

Oh what fun this is going to be! I plan to join in, it will be a first for me! Can’t wait!!!

Geraldine camil

I am really looking forward to joining the block of the month group.

Cindy

This sounds like fun. I’m a beginner so I’m not sure if I could do this.

Juanita

So excited about the block of the month. Hope I remember or find it when it starts.

Marlene Benson

This looks like lots of fun.I anxiously await the projects.

Kari Bies

@Quilter1980
Thank you so much! I love block of the month but i hesitate when they are 24-25 bucks a month. Thank you again and I look forward to following and starting in Jan!

June Kelly

A block of the month would be so fun. I’d love to join you.

Suzanne

I’m in! I too have never participated in a block-of-the-month (BOM) so it sounds great.

Shari Manning

I am so excited! I have never done a block of the month and have only been quilting for a few months. What a better way to learn :)

Dawn

excited to see these..and learn.. Hope you’re easy to find and keep track of!!

Joey Holcomb

I’m looking forward to do the block of the month with you and other quilters. It can just be great fun to see how the result will be at the end of next year.

Vicki Gasorski

Looking forward to this fun. BOMs are always fun to do but haven’t done one yet online.

How will we know when it starts? Will emails go out?

Thanks!
VickiG

Connie

New quilter here. Anxious to begin this monthly block with you. I need all the advise I can get
Thanks, And Merry Christmas

Lori Hudson

Yeah!! Lookin’ fwd to sewing my way through the New Year!

marge nistler

Looking forward to this block of the month, sounds like fun!
Marge

BaBa Cindy

I love doing Block of the Month quilts! It keeps me working on it consitently. I regularly do them with two groups and soon my favorite quilt supply store will begin one, too. With yours that will be 4 quilts for the year! I’m so excited!

Sandy Carey

think i will make this a priority for the new year. looking forward to the video… I used to sew alot but not so much this year. so think the year 2012 will be a great year to start again.

KCScamp

I am looking forward to actually sitting down and starting to work on a quilting project. I have gathered fabrics all year, and kits and more fabrics, patterns and more fabrics….and now I NEED to start….I too grew up sewing my own clothes, and still have to get over the “”must match”” part to any thing goes in the quilting world. I know that you will surely help with that…
and since I am going to also start my Christmas for 2012 too (I procrastinated too long this year) this will head me in the right direction.

Valerie B

I’ve participated in Block of the Month programs before. This should be fun.

Carmen

I just found your website. It looks very interesting. I’ve participated in several block of the month projects. They are a blast. I’ve never done one online. I’m interested to see how this is going to work out. Looking forward to this getting started.

Anne Johnson

I am looking forward to joining you next year, in the “block of the month”. It will be a new experience for me, being new to quilting and so far self taught. I hope I can buy fabrics same or near to over here in Western Australia. Hope every one has a safe and happy dec 25th.

Susan sereti

Looking forward to bom and love the idea of following on line and chance for questions and such…..thanks for thinking of all of us with these ideas.

Dee Wethered

Amy, How very exciting. I am there…….I love Craftsy. i just found this site a couple of month’s ago. I have purchased a couple of quilting classes and i love them but this will be great for me because i live in rural N.D., over a hundred miles from a quilt store so i have not participated in a BOM for several years. And it’s free. Thanks for this great opportunity.

Tammie Pruitt

I am currently participating in Eleanor Burns bom, and I love love love it. I can not wait to see what you have in store. Would absolutely love to be on board.

Suzie G

I am so excited about this! I have a couple of friends who quilt and we try to get together to do things but never have the time….this is perfect!

Davesmom

How does one find this bom, on Craftsy.com or an other site? I have never done a block a month before. I too have taken several courses from Craftsy’s classes in last couple of months, and have been quilting for only 2 years.

Cindy Frantzen

Never have done a block of the month, am looking forward to trying this out.
How will I know when this starts? Will I get an email with the instructions?

sharon

I am new to quilting and would love to sign up for BOM. but I am not sure how to sign up. can you please walk me through it thanks

Stefanie Japel

The course isn’t available for sign up yet, it will launch in time for Jan 1. We’ll write another blog post to tell you exactly how to register.

Alaina Elias

I am really looking forward to this block of the month. I have done four before and they never get tiring or boring. Thanks so much for offering this year long class!!

connie

where would I buy the material that you are using for the block of the month series, love it

connie

where can I buy the material that you are using for the bom I love it but cannot find it anywhere

Belinda Adkins

I am not a quilter, but sew clothing for myself and my grandchildren, purses and fiber arts scarves, however I am looking forward to doing this. The only other quilt I did was a dresden plate design (didn’t know it was the hardest one to do) in a class. I could believe how long it took for a “lap” quilt!! But I think I aready to give quilting another try! How do we get the bundle mentioned on the Craftsy site? Would it look weird to have each block a different color shceme? Thank.

Sheila Ockey

I am looking forward to participating in this BOM……………I’ve been a quilter for about 12 yrs. w/a lifetime of sewing experience…………….I have lots of UFO’s…………..but I will try and keep up on this. Do you take our e-mail address and fwd. instructions? It seems there is a great interest. I’m quite involved in our local quilting guild, which is lots of fun. Thank for doing this project for all quilters! Looking forward to the BOM

Veline B

I have signed up for your website and for the block of the month. I haven’t been able to find a tab for course materials and I can only access 2 minutes of the video for the January block. I have logged in where it says to. It’s been a little frustrating. I hope you can help me with this problem.

Stefanie Japel

Hi Veline,

I’ve forwarded your comment to our help desk. help@craftsy.com is always there to help you figure out any site issues that you may experience.

-Stefanie