Help Craftsy Keep A Kid Warm This Winter

Posted by on Sep 17, 2011 in Crocheting, Fiber Arts and Felting, Knitting, Quilting, Sewing | Comments

Help us collect 1000 blankets and hats to keep kids warm this winter!

We’ve teamed up with a couple of great charities and are really hoping to make a difference in the lives of as many young people as we can.  Whether you knit, crochet, quilt, sew, or are willing to learn, you can help, too!

Our Goal: To collect and donate 1000 blankets to Project Linus and and 1000 hats to Kaps for Kendall by December 15, 2011.

How you can help: Make as many hats and blankets as you feel comfortable donating, and send them to us at this address:

Keep a Kid Warm
c/o Sympoz Inc.
1553 Platte #202
Denver, CO 80202

We will deliver all of your donations to the organizations, and present them in your names.  We’ll keep you posted over the coming weeks as your projects arrive, and let you know how we’re doing on our goal!

We’ve selected a few of the great projects and patterns from Craftsy members that you could use if you need a little bit of inspiration or want to try something new (click each photo to go to the project page and find out more about it):

Before you get those hooks, needles, machines, and fingers revved up, take a quick read below to find out more about each charity and their suggestions as to materials to use and sizes to make for your projects:

Project Linus:

The mission of Project Linus is to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”

I called Karen, our local Project Linus Chapter Coordinator and she gave me the following  things to consider when making Project Linus blankets:

• The blankets should be from a non-smoking environment.
  • The blankets should be pet hair free (some kids have allergies.)
  • The blankets can be any size, but a really great size is 40 inches (100 cm) by 60 inches (150 cm).  The blankets are often given to teens, who just don’t have use for a baby blanket.

(And, If you create a blanket from polar fleece, please remove the selvedge and make the edges tidy.)

Kaps for Kendall:

The goal of Kaps for Kendall  is to raise money to fight Fanconi Anemia and to provide special hats for kids and adults who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy and radiation. Some things to keep in mind when creating your Kaps:

• The hats can be in all sizes from infant to adult
  • The hats should be fun! Children like to wear bright colors.
  • Hats for little boys are especially welcome.
  • The hats don’t have to be knit or crochet, sewn hats are great, too!

If you’d like to know more about either of these charities, click on their links above.  You can also read the book, “Working for Peanuts” to learn more about the Project Linus story.

(If you don’t know how to quilt, sew, knit, or crochet, and want to learn in order to help create one of these charity projects, we have lots of great online beginner craft courses  and if you sign up through this blog post, we’ll donate 50% of your course fee to one of the charities above.)

SO! Will you be helping us? What are you planning to make?

Comments

1. Lori says:

I think this is wonderful. I have been making blankets, hats and scarves for the past several weeks, and was wondering where to send them. I was going to start a project linus in my area, and right now this is great for me to get started. Look for a package soon with blankets hats and scarves, and thanks again. I am excited about this!
    Lori

1. Stefanie Japel says:

We’re excited to receive the package, Lori! Thanks for contributing!

2. Tina Heasley says:

Please tell me more about the Linus Blanket project, Exactly where do the blankets go and how do the people get them that are in need? (I am very new at this!)

Tina,

If you click on the “project linus” link in the blog post, you’ll go to their website, where you can read all about this wonderful charity.

Stefanie

3. Janet Gerald says:

I have been crocheting winter hats for kids all summer. Wanting to donate them to a cause that would appricate them. I feel that Caps for Kindall is a great place for them. I like to crochet when I am watching TV. It gives me something to do and I feel good about donating them to a worthy cause. I feel this is just what I been looking for. I will send the hats as soon as I can. Thanks for the oppertunity to help children in need. I am so excited about this.
    Janet Gerald

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Thanks, Janet, we appreciate you! :)

4. Melanee says:

I’ve been involved with Project Linus now for over a year. Teen boys are really needed. Be sure and look at the Project Linus main page for how to do fleece blankets. There are a couple of options and it explains the new way. We do NOT have people tie knots around the edges of the fleece because the placement of the knots, if not placed well, will curl up the blanket edges too tight. Until you have seen these children receive these blankets and they DO turn into a security blanket for the children, your heart will melt. The main site will help you find local Groups for after so you can continue doing this. There are beautiful women in our group that have done this for 13+ years. God bless you all. These are priceless gifts!!!

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Thanks so much for the input, Melanee!

5. Debi says:

I have a baby quilt almost finished and would like to donate it to Project Linus, but was wondering if we could donate to a local chapter and save the postage, but still be a part of the Craftsy family project?
    Thanks!

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Absolutely! I strongly encourage you to check out the website (link in the blog post) and find your local chapter.

6. Janette Kearns Wilson says:

It is a great idea the Linus blanket. I am so pleased to be part of a group here in Melbourne Australia called KOGO “Knit One Give One” I have recently been making small patchwork sewn quilts as well as the wool ones, just in terms of making more. With our summer coming it is a time to stockpile the hats and scarves for next year, however there are still kits for little children with toys and blankets being collected….so anyone over here can be part of a similar scheme to the American one.
    It is so great to be able to use our craft to brighten someones day…wherever…….

7. I’ll get right on it. Just finished a baby blanket, so I can start something new. I don’t work very fast, though, but I will definately send what I can finish by Christmas. Both seem very worthy of everyone’s effort.

8. Carol Ulsh says:

Wonderful project! I’ll start knitting today for this project!

9. Dawn Alice Kemp says:

hi have looked at your knitted and crochet patterns they are all for sale.. As i and many people are on a pension we cannot afford to buy theses patterns then pay to post to your orginisation. why arent the patterns you advertise in crafty free?

1. Stefanie Japel says:

We have a LOT of free patterns, as well as paid patterns. In this blog post, I show you how to search the site to find all of the free patterns: http://blog.craftsy.com/2011/09/free-patterns-why-arent-all-patterns-free/

2. Stefanie Japel says:

Also, all of the patterns that I selected to use in the post you’re commenting on are free. Click any of the images to go to the pattern’s page and download its pattern.

10. Suparna says:

I have been knitting a little while and am working on a baby blanket right now. Do the blankets have to be machine washable or can they be made from natural fibres?

1. Judie says:

Hi Suparna,
      The blankets for Project Linus must be made from fiber that is machine washable AND machine dryable. As a former Project Linus coordinator for 12 years, I can tell you how much these blankets are appreciated. They also give the parents of the children an added boost knowing that a total stranger thought enough about their child to put love and energy into making a blanket. That’s something money can’t buy!

11. phillis says:

I love this idea, I can’t waite to turn in as much as I can before the due date, children are so precious to me, they love with no fault.

12. Lisa Vincent says:

I knit and sew obsessively….and want to donate my blankets and hats….thank you for sharing such wonderful causes. I feel blessed to have healthy children (thus far) and wish never to have to experience such physical hardships these children have to go through. I hope my hats and blankets will make a difference. Look for them. They are coming your way. XO Lisa

13. Joanne says:

Sorry i don t make hats for kids, BUT i do make Pjs and out fits for the womens shelter in my area, all year, Kids are always in need there no matter what time of year it is. Older Kids seem to get left out the most.

14. Patricia Brewer says:

Project Linus is a great project. I’ve been doing approximately 25 quilts/blankets a year for the past 6 years for them. I plan to continue as long as I am able.

15. Donna says:

Are hats made with the circular jiffy looms acceptable? I have several size looms and the hats are very quick to do.

1. Stefanie Japel says:

They are absolutely acceptable! These children will be so happy to have them!

16. ci.dy says:

I have about a dozen hats I want to send you. I made them for St. Judes Children’s Hospital but they told me they could not except anything at w this time. I am so glad I found you. I will try to get them ooff to you in the next few days. Keep up the good work. Hugs, Cindy

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Thanks so much for thinking of us! We appreciate each and every one!

17. Lorraine says:

I mailed out my first box of 25 knitted hats, for keep a kid warm.I will be ready next week to mail out my second box,which will be about 30 hats to fit 0-2 to adult.will you still be accepting hats for the children after Dec.15th? thanks,Lorraine

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Hi Lorraine! We have received your box of hats and they are wonderful and greatly appreciated. We can definitely continue to accept the hats after Dec 15, but set that deadline as a good goal so that we’ll be able to deliver lots of hats on & around the holidays.

18. Teresa Christensen says:

I’ve been making quilts for Project Linus for quite a few years. The thank yous you get back from the families are what keep me going in fact on the wall in front of my sewing machine is a thank you from a little girl who drew a picture of herself in bed with our quilt on her. Wonderful charity to be a part of:)

19. June Hill says:

love the idea of this but not sure I’ll get round to sending to the states but will try. do you know of anything similar in England? good luck getting to the 1000, I’m going to look into my half made things now and see what i can pull together for you xx

20. Stacey says:

Can you tell me if there is something similar to project linus in Canada, I have looked on the internet but have come up empty handed. I have made 3 quilts so far and my 6 year old son has just started to quilt with me and he is almost finished his first quilt that he also wants to donate to a little girl or boy. If there is nothing like project linus in Canada, we do have a Cancer hospital in a near by city that we will do our best to donate to instead. Thank you for keeping up the great work.

1. Stefanie Japel says:

I’m really not sure whether Project Linus is international. I’m sure that a hospital, shelter, or even firehouse would appreciate the donation…maybe call some local spots and see what the need is near you.

21. Wendy Goldner says:

The knitting group I am involved in is a charity group. We make chemo hats and lap robes, teach children to knit scarves for the veterans. Last year we joined with Debbie Maycomber and sent over 100 hats for the Project Linus. We meet in the local cancer care facility so that keeps our minds on what we do.

22. Wanda Scott says:

Is there a Canadian address or is it only an American thing. I am going to send some in any case but just wanted to know. Not sure about sending things to the States or how expensive it is. I will have to research this… thanks great project! Wanda

1. Stefanie Japel says:

This is a charity that is local to us here in Denver. We’re grateful for any hats that you send, but if you find postage to be prohibitive, please look for a charity local to you. They will really appreciate your donation.

23. Lorraine says:

Working on my 3rd box of hats for the keep the kids warm.Can’t wait to start another hat, as I finish one.

24. Karen Rheingans says:

I have been loom knitting hats & scarves since my oldest daughter was born (almost 5 years ago). She was 3 months premature & sitting in the nicu for hours on end for weeks, I had to do something, so I took up knitting with a loom. I have many, many hats that I’ll be sending your way. I have been wanting to find a charity to donate too for so long now & I just happened to stumble upon Craftsy just a couple weeks ago. I’m so excited to be able to help out! Look for a package from me in honor of my miracle baby, Sydnie Rosemary, very soon!

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Thank you so much for your generous contribution!!

25. Ronna says:

I just read that the National Project Linus project was closed for this year. Then I read that yours is open until Dec15th. At first I thought yours was only accepting fabric blankets. I actually have a crocheted baby blanket ready for donation. Please explain the difference in
    The two campaigns I have found.

1. Stefanie Japel says:

I don’ tknow what the difference is, but we’ve been in contact with our local chapter and they are so excited and grateful to receive our blankets.

26. Deb says:

My 32 year old daughter is undergoing chemotherapy and I have been making hats for her, but not everyone has a mom to make a stylish hat. Great project and it fills such a need!

27. chari says:

This is perfect timing. I just bought the Anemome Hat pattern from Cat Bordhi and yarn in arctic camo (my daughter’s favorite) colors. DD doesn’t care for the tendrils. Instead of omitting them I’ll just knit it for you. Maybe I should do the super-warm version since your area gets colder than ours.
    You’ve actually given me a great idea. One of our good friends is a counselor at a shelter. I’m thinking a great Christmas gift for him would be a collection of hats for him to pass on to his clients.

1. Stefanie Japel says:

That’s a GREAT idea, I’m sure that the shelter would appreciate the hats a LOT!

28. Simone says:

I told my hubbie about this project Linus and he already made 11 hats. They are very cute! We going to send to you guys soon. I wainting for him to do some more.
    Bill and Simone

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Thank you both so much! Every single one will go to a great home! :)

29. sam abdersen says:

I am a provider in a peds er. Every year we do a christmas charity. So I started. Hats from Healers to piggy back onto this project. The idea has spread and other mewdical professsions Around the US have joined us. I have taught others to knit to join in. Others have donated yarn or money for yarn. Our target ship dAte is nov 20.

Sam ndersen PAC
    Mendys Pediatric ER
    JCL DEER VALLEY
    Phoenix

30. Kay Workinger says:

HI! I’M A MEMBER OF THE TRI-CITIES QUILTERS GUILD HERE IN KENNEWICK, WASHINGTON. I VISIT MY RELATIVES IN LAKEWOOD, CO ~ OUR GUILD GAVE $1000 THIS YEAR TO RESTART THE QUILTERS IN JOPLIN, MO ~ I’M SO PROUD! THERE ARE SEVERAL PROJECT LINUS GROUPS HERE IN TOWN AT FABRIC STORES, WORKPLACES, AND THE GUILD. ANYONE WHO WOULD DO THIS WITH YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THEY ARE SERVING A WORTHY CAUSE. KUDOS!

31. LORI-JO WAHL says:

Hi, My dad besides my husband were my best supporters of my craft because I was taught how to quilt after I sustained a brain injury in 1994 & suffered a mini stroke months after it. My dad always told me not to let my talent I was taught go to waste. I stopped quilting for a few years to raise my grand daughter & recently I lost my dad & best friend from bone cancer. I was beside myself when he died, could not function for a few months & then a thought came to me on what my dad told me regarding my quilting.. I am not a professional quilter but it relaxes me & I seem to go in a happy place when I quilt. So, I did some research, found out about “Project Linus” in RI where I live & I have now made 3 quilts for children with cancer in memory of my dad. This in itself is making me feel very proud that I am not letting my talent go to waste & the same time I am keeping my dad alive in my heart. Thank You “Project Linus”, you are not only helping children but you have also given me a reason for quilting again.

32. De Morgan says:

I have a box of 12 hats (all sizes) ready to send. I love to knit and am so happy to find a place that will use the hats. Do you need sox and sweaters? I make several of each every year.
    God bless you for this work. De

33. Sally L Hadley says:

I have my circular needles out and my stash ready to go to find some great yarn.

Thanks for letting me help!

34. Deb says:

I have made and turned in over 30 quilts to my local Project Linus chapter since Sept 10th! Most were fleece with crocheted edges but at least 5 were quilts. Please count them in your total. I am busy making more!!

35. Jeanne Berlew says:

This is my first time sending quilts to the Linus Project. I am in a very active quilting guild and we are always doing several service projects for those in need. I am so very lucky to be able to live safe and warm, so I feel I have much to give back to others. Hope these quilts I am sending will help reach the goal of 1,000 quilts by December.

36. Marcie says:

Our local knit/crochet group has been busy making hats for you ever since I found out about this project. Not sure how many hats we’ll be sending–definitely more than ten–our goal is whatever we have to send Dec 1st. I, personally, have been concentrating on ‘boy’ hats, as there never seems to be enough of those!

1. Stefanie Japel says:

Fabulous!! Thank you for your generosity!!

37. Sam Andersen says:

HI this is Sam with Hats from Healers.! I was wondering how the presentation to Kaps for Kendall went yesterday? I was so pleased and honored to be able to participate in such a personal and loving project. I know that God will guide each hat to the person it was made for; heart to eart!

Hats from Healers was a great success considered we had 6 weeks to pull this off and most of those in our group had never knitted a hat before. I sent a box of 157 hats and others were sent under separate cover from health care professionals and our family and friends in other locals. I’m not sure of our final total; could you let me know that as well?

Happy Holidays and God Bless You and yours.

Sam Andersen, PAC
    Mendy’s Pediatric Emergency Room, JCL Deer Valley Hospital
    Your Neighborhood Health Care Clinic

38. Debbie McKay says:

I just saw this post and wondered if you are still collecting items after the 15th?

39. Connie says:

Have a box of hats that I’m sending your way. Apologies for lateness

40. Bev says:

I’m too late for this year. Will you be continuing this project next year? I find that knitting & crocheting is a good project while I’m camping during the summer.

1. Stefanie Japel says:

You can continue to send in your hats throughout the year and we will continue to deliver them.

41. Candice says:

Is it too late to start for 2012!

42. ash says:

My schedule this past semester was too insane to participate earlier but today I just finished my contribution of 11 hats and will be sending them off shortly! What a great project for us to be involved in :)

43. YWCA Crisis Shelter says:

As an organization that receives blankets from Project Linus – thank you so much for the kind work that you do. These blankets do make a difference and are used by children in need both during their time at the shelter, but also are given to them for when they move to their new home. A homemade blanket can send a strong message of comfort and warmth. Thank you for being part of a community of sharing and caring.